The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Card That Matters by Rick Lax (40 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jonas1969
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Jonas1969
I received mine today and yes, the idea of the spectator having free choice of any card and that being the one face up is not always the case, but there is a clever out. My issue, along with others who have the cards and have reviewed them on the Vanishing tutorial page is there seems to be issues with the cards and surface quality. Not prepped very well at all. Great trick though the quality control is lacking. Anybody else with the cards having the same issue?
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5826 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2019, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Any card named from a restriction of 6 cards probably. There’s no way 52 are replicated on that thin slice of cards unless it’s real magic, of course. Smile

Ah, but there is a way. Smile

Ah, but there isn’t, is there?

More rubbish from Penguin.

Ah, but there is. They just didn’t take it.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8825 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Ad description.

2. You tell your spectator there is one card face-up in this poker hand, and you invite them to guess what it is.

3. When you spread the cards out, they are 100% correct.]

Is this accurate ?
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Ad description.

2. You tell your spectator there is one card face-up in this poker hand, and you invite them to guess what it is.

Is this accurate ?

It isn't. The card will often not be the one named.
ScarneAce
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
76 Posts

Profile of ScarneAce
The way he spreads it makes me think it is r/s.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8825 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2020, Jonas1969 wrote:
I received mine today and yes, the idea of the spectator having free choice of any card and that being the one face up is not always the case, but there is a clever out. My issue, along with others who have the cards and have reviewed them on the Vanishing tutorial page is there seems to be issues with the cards and surface quality. Not prepped very well at all. Great trick though the quality control is lacking. Anybody else with the cards having the same issue?

Here’s a clue. Read the thread.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3366 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2020, AutarchicFlux wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Ad description.

Is this accurate ?

It isn't. The card will often not be the one named.

Maybe it's the Eric Morecambe approach to magic advertising. They will be 100% correct; but not necessarily 100% of the time!
CoffeeWithMagic
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of CoffeeWithMagic
I saw this popup in the "Top 10" on Penguin a few days ago, and watched it.
I believe I have this, but in a four card version.

I bought it a few years ago at a local magic shop for probably $5 or $10, and with proper handling (again, I'm assuming it's the same as mine, just with one extra card) most might be able to work out showing the front/backs of the cards once it's done.

On this...
Quote:

If by "surface quality" you mean they seem to be a fading in certain spots, my version I bought several years ago had this problem (again not this exact one, but I think it's pretty much the same).
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3869 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2020, KristoBall wrote:
I don't have this, but why not script around the issue at the start? You can introduce it by saying of course in poker, you never show your hand. But you and I are so connected, I can tell you already know one of my cards. You go ahead and name it. I'll show you one card and only one card, because it is the only card that matters... blah blah. That is probably what I would do anyway, if I get this.

That is good scripting. I like it. Personally, I prefer to be able to show the cards, typically in the process of a follow up effect.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3869 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I got my cards, and there is something wrong with the roughing. It feels like there is very little on my set. They are difficult to use.
KJ
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8825 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:

Don’t worry you’re not the only one. It shouldn’t take up too much room in your junk drawer.
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
1964 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12200 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Quote:

Don’t worry you’re not the only one. It shouldn’t take up too much room in your junk drawer.

I have a problem. My junk drawer is full.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8825 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2020, John C wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Quote:

I have a problem. My junk drawer is full.

You and me both John.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3869 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
It is unfortunate. However, this inspired me to create my own version, sort of a combination of this effect and some of the handling techniques of David Regal's Motel 52 to create a set with the proper roughing that will appear to produce any card they name from what seems like a completely free selection.

On a separate note:

I just donated to Steve Brook's wife's go fund me page. Wishing her the best in her time of medical need. I hope many on the Café donate as well.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-steve-brooks-and-mya-angel

KJ
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2386 Posts

Profile of 252life
Thx for posting about Steve’s wife I was in aware.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
3sdb
View Profile
New user
Mississauga, Canada
6 Posts

Profile of 3sdb
I got this on a lark (Black Friday sale) and it’s since arrived; while I didn’t have high expectations to begin with, I wasn’t overly impressed. My set is well constructed and it all works as advertised in a technical sense, but more often than not you’re relying on the out at the end of the performance, and so even with reasonably good patter it’s just a bit underwhelming when you do it for anyone. I’d stick with a simple in******* d**** for that kind of effect.
Jonas1969
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Jonas1969
Quote:

I contacted Penguin concerning the r/s issue, the r being inconsistent to say the least. They graciously sent me a replacement pack of cards at no cost. Sadly, the “r” now is so overdone it's again impossible to handle. Any advice on “cleaning” cards and redoing the gimmick on your own? Sorry, if I seem naïve; just new to magic for the most part. -JP
papercrane
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
152 Posts

Profile of papercrane
We admittedly had a bad batch of cards made that were first underdone and then overdone. Please contact again for another replacement. I believe we have fixed the issue permanently and every unit now should be ideal.

Quote:

I contacted Penguin concerning the r/s issue, the r being inconsistent to say the least. They graciously sent me a replacement pack of cards at no cost. Sadly, the “r” now is so overdone it's again impossible to handle. Any advice on “cleaning” cards and redoing the gimmick on your own? Sorry, if I seem naïve; just new to magic for the most part. -JP [/quote]
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4094 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I love Rick but this seems completely illogical to me. If you mention a poker hand and tell people to think of a card to magically complete that poker hand, everyone is going to want to see the other 4 cards and expect to see an amazing hand. Creative method but seems like an illogical step backwards IMO.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Card That Matters by Rick Lax (40 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL