The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Don Alan Chop Cup: optimal ball? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
480 Posts

Profile of karnak
A full-size Don Alan aluminum Chop Cup from RnT2 comes with a 1-1/8” red ball set. Would most users consider this ball choice optimal? Aesthetically speaking?

The website mentions that a 1-3/8” ball “will work just as well, if not better.” Don Alan himself seemed to use fairly chunky and sizable balls — and white ones, rather than red.

Thoughts? Worth upgrading to bigger and whiter balls?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2632 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I wouldn't think there's any rules, but what works and looks best to you. In somewhat of the same issue. Years ago I worked with Morgan dollars. When doing some mirror work one day, I realized how large the coins looked in my smaller hand, so switched to halves. Try the larger set and see what you think.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Special user
Living in Perth Western Australia
978 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I have two table tops that I use. One is a darkish red and the other is black. When I'm doing the chop cup or cups and balls I use the set that looks the best on the table colour I'm using. I have a few different colour of manipulation balls that I use. Keep in mind that white balls don't stay white for very long. I also have Don Alan aluminum chop cup and I do use a white set of balls with it. For me the biggest more important part of the trick is the final loads that you use. The very generous Pete Biro used to say it's not so much the size of the chop cup balls but rather the change in the final loads and he said you could use anything as long as they are different from your set for the cup. My thoughts.
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2085 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Both the original Don Alan by the old Rings N Things and the RNT2 Don Alans came with 1 1/4" core balls in white, 1 3/8" with the crochet around it.
According to my father's notes, the white ball could be seen easier from a distance and only Cork center balls were to be used due to noise. 1 1/8" balls have a 1" core center ball and when crocheted they come out to 1 1/8".

White really stands out against either the aluminum or copper Don Alan, but I agree with Al Kazam on using what ever color suits your needs or surroundings.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Don was adamant about using white balls. He also used two gaffed balls.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I like white for working balls, yeah... flash, but flash never seems to be a problem for me (and I'm not technically good)

I also like to use 2 chopped balls, that's how I used to sell them. I started making the gaff oppose so they didn't stick to each other... but people just didn't want that.

But I've moved to a smaller ball (dice core) for all my cups and balls because I "feel" like the change between the ball and final load is more significant.
Of course I have no evidence to prove my feelings.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Don and I discussed the balls he liked to use with the chop cup on a number of occasions. He liked to use a white ball, because it contrasted well with his performing area. He liked a large ball, because he wanted the audience to be able to see it.

Don't use a ball that is too large for you to completely enclose in your hand.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Don Alan Chop Cup: optimal ball? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL