The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Tarot in Bicycle ?! (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MrPoponi
View Profile
New user
Brazil
76 Posts

Profile of MrPoponi
Hello everyone!

I have an interesting question to discuss.
We all know that the Bicycle deck brand is one of the best in quality.
We also know that there is a lot of diversity in designs. Bicycle launches a different deck almost every week.
So I ask if it wouldn't be interesting for Bicycle to produce a Marseille or Rider Waite Tarot.
I think it might be an interesting idea for Bicycle.
What are your thoughts?
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3256 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
I think it might be good for collectors but the working performer probably would not use it. I am interested in hearing what they have to say.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
749 Posts

Profile of 61magic
In my experience when you pull out a deck of cards (i'm talking about poker size) the audience automatically thinks card tricks before they see the faces. Most of the ladies in the audience become disinterested.
When I pull out a Tarot deck more interest is generated for man and women. Tarot cards seem to not be as connected with card sleights in the minds of spectators.
I really found this to be true when one of my close up prediction effects using cards were much better received when I converted to Tarot cards. Listening to comments after the shows I would pick comments about how amazing the Tarot trick was. Funny it was the same trick done the same way with normal cards.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2125 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Bicycle can not produce a Rider Waite Tarot until 2022 at the earliest when US Games is finally forced to relinquish their overblown copyright claim on the images; though I wouldn't put it past them to come up with another bogus copyright angle at that time. Similarly, the Marseille images are also protected by (a valid) copyright. In the meantime, after countless hours of work, my company is close to releasing our own poker-sized Tarot (with marked backs) using images from the public domain. The stock quality is quite comparable to Bicycle.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3256 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2019, Christopher Taylor wrote:
Bicycle can not produce a Rider Waite Tarot until 2022 at the earliest when US Games is finally forced to relinquish their overblown copyright claim on the images; though I wouldn't put it past them to come up with another bogus copyright angle at that time. Similarly, the Marseille images are also protected by (a valid) copyright. In the meantime, after countless hours of work, my company is close to releasing our own poker-sized Tarot (with marked backs) using images from the public domain. The stock quality is quite comparable to Bicycle.

Christopher


I look forward to seeing it.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17439 Posts

Profile of Slim King
NO.….. Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4205 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
The only proper playing card back would be Steamboat 999s. ;-)
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2985 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Tarot cards are for divination. Bicycle cards are for games. Put tarot designs on a Bike back (or an obvious playing-card back), and you're taking it out of the realm of the mystic. That's a questionable theatrical choice.

(I feel the similarly about ESP cards: ESP cards were developed for laboratory testing of psychic ability. Put them on playing-card backs, and you remove powerful context. That's why I ended up designing my own.)
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5189 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I totally agree Necromancer.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4205 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
On the other palm, there are possibilities to be explored by doing a regular card trick, only to have a Tarot card face appear unexpectedly.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3256 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, Necromancer wrote:
Tarot cards are for divination. Bicycle cards are for games. Put tarot designs on a Bike back (or an obvious playing-card back), and you're taking it out of the realm of the mystic. That's a questionable theatrical choice.

(I feel the similarly about ESP cards: ESP cards were developed for laboratory testing of psychic ability. Put them on playing-card backs, and you remove powerful context. That's why I ended up designing my own.)


Agreed!
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18248 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Loosely related - I've never understood the urge to have everything weathered and aged in bizarre.... bizarre can be modern and new and fresh too... in fact, that is a breath of fresh air in many respects... I remember the great tom lauten talk about ageing items - he said remember they were once brand new, and then got mistreated/used up...so the ageing needs to be natural and logical to the premise and story...where were they kept etc...

nothing worse than seeing a quick photoshop filter and the aged marks in the same spot on all the cards!

I've recently made my own major arcana in bridge sized, one-way backed, marseilles, and I've rejigged the text a little too...designed the backs myself as well as the frames on the faces to keep things looking good proportionally...
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17439 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I just throw them in a rented dryer with some dirt and rocks!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Instant aging .. Well two hours...
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4205 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I've been known to bury stuff for 13 successive nights in a haunted cemetery.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18248 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2019, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
I've been known to bury stuff for 13 successive nights in a haunted cemetery.


Secrets you mean? Smile
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3256 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2019, IAIN wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 8, 2019, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
I've been known to bury stuff for 13 successive nights in a haunted cemetery.


Secrets you mean? Smile


Secrets? On the embalming table Victoria has no secrets.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Tarot in Bicycle ?! (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL