The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Speak CAAN Spell by Adrian Fowell (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
304 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Hi all

Sorry for the terrible pun, but I like it. Some blurb on my new effect.

https://qmagi.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fspeak-caan-spell

I guess this is more of an ACAAN than CAAN but that pun doesn't work so well. Or rather, it should be 'Any Card At Its Name'.

In a nutshell the effect is they think of a card, they cut the deck, they spell their thought-of card and it's there. You never need to touch the deck.

This will be an Instant Download, and will be available from qmagi.com on Monday or so. Demo might take a while as I am between laptops but hopefully next week. At the end of the day, my descriptions are as honest as can be without tipping, so...

I hope you like it - Happy Weekend!

Effect

Whilst you shuffle the deck the spectator thinks of any card they wish. It is unknown to all except the spectator.

You give them the cards and tell them that in a moment, they are going to try and cut directly to the card they are thinking of. You never touch the cards again.

They cut the deck.

For the first time they name their card and look at the card they cut to. Unfortunately, it's not correct.

Undeterred, you have them complete the cut and then deal one card for each letter of the thought-of card's name...

Amazingly, the card arrived at is the very card they thought of - the card just spelled out!

Blurb

No forces at all - works with any card, no restrictions
Always the exact card (no mates)
Cards can be dealt face-up or down, your choice
Perform hands free - you don't need to touch the deck at any time - just give them the cards then start.
No memory-work - completely self-working
No weird spellings (i.e., no ACEHEART or similar)
Super-quick reset
Download and perform instantly

There will be a handful of review copies available. PM or email me.

All the best

Adrian
Fero
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of Fero
Looks brilliant 👍👍.
But not yet in stock. When would that be available?
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
304 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2019, Fero wrote:
Looks brilliant 👍👍.
But not yet in stock. When would that be available?

Early next week barring hiccups.
Fero
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of Fero
Is there any gimmick included??
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
304 Posts

Profile of drawfull
It's a download so you can use your favourite deck. There's a couple of things to do but I wouldn't call it arts and crafts.

Adrian
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3034 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Once you start spelling out cards you've drifted too far from the essence of ACAAN, in my opinion.
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
304 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2019, Martin Pulman wrote:
Once you start spelling out cards you've drifted too far from the essence of ACAAN, in my opinion.

I agree, broadly, and alluded to as much in the OP. It's more Any Card At Its Name. I really like the Speak & Spell pun though Smile
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Special user
If only I didn't have a wife and kid I would have MUCH more than
952 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Haha! I recognise that feeling, when you just like a joke so much you HAVE to make it... Ricky Gervais has a great bit on when to make which joke in his last Netflix special. It’s the closer of the show and it’s hilarious. Try watch it if you can.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about.
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
304 Posts

Profile of drawfull
All review copies have now been allocated. If you've asked and got one, it will be sent Monday ish.

Adrian
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
304 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Sorry, this will now be available Tuesday my time. Edit has dragged out. Review copies will go out within 24 hours - it's currently 8:15pm Spain. Ta

Adrian
no2ss
View Profile
Loyal user
California
231 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Adrian was kind enough to just send me a copy of this and I've only just read through it, so these are my initial first reactions, not yet having tried it out.

Top line: it's super clever and I like it, with a few small caveats. I will admit that I had once, in the past, considered whether or not it would possible to do something not exactly like this, but at least conceptually similar, and gave up on it because it just seemed like way too much work. Yet Adrian has done all the work for it (and there was a lot of work that went into figuring this out -- so kudos to Adrian for what must have been a slog).

Without revealing the method(s), Adrian's description of the effect is very accurate and it is not at all hard to do. Done in the hands of the spectator it is going to totally fry them. It is a combination of a bunch of different ideas, put together thoughtfully and cleverly. If the concept of the effect appeals to you based on the description, I'd recommend buying it and I doubt you'll be disappointed. It's likely that anyone who has done a fair bit of card magic will have some experience with pretty much all of the various elements of this effect, but I've not seen anyone combine all of them in quite this unique a fashion. There are no sleights (obviously, since it's mostly the spectator doing the work) though you do need to pay attention. I'm excited to try this out in the real world.

The explanation is clear and easy to understand and the PDFs give you everything you need. You can almost certainly perform this pretty much minutes after receiving it. You will want to familiarize yourself with a few aspects of it that might require a bit more study, but this is not a difficult effect to perform.

I love ACAANs and even though I *usually* hate any and all spelling effects, I actually don't mind it so much in this effect, in part because of the impossibility of the spelling happening *after* the spectator does the cut which is well motivated.

There are a few cons to be aware of (beyond the whole "spelling a card" thing which some may or may not consider a con). The deck is what I'd describe as "maybe" examinable afterwards, in that they could examine it, but a spec might notice a few oddities (these can be explained away if you're ready for it, but you might not want to let them fully examine the deck). Along those lines, if you want to use this deck for other effects, you'd likely have to do something to it first (though that might depend on what other effects you'd want to do). Also, doing other effects with this deck would wipe away the "easy reset" part of the effect. That is, this is not an impromptu effect with a borrowed deck.

Perhaps the largest con, though, is that while the description accurately says "no memory work," that's only because of a different... "addition" that some magicians might not like. It's something that's used frequently enough in other effects, though, but I know that some magicians don't like using it and would consider that a downside. I don't think it's revealing the method to say what this is, but I'll refrain just in case. What I will say is that you *could* in theory get rid of this aspect with memory work, but it would be a *significant* amount of memory work. Think about something that allows you to do difficult memory work without doing significant memory work and you can probably figure out that piece of it.

However, if you don't mind that and don't mind the spelling, this is really, really clever, and will almost certainly fry people. I'm planning to do the necessary (easy) setup and test this out sometime soon.

Excellent work, yet again, Adrian.
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
304 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Thanks for the great review.

I have no issues with you mentioning the crib, but I did like your workaround Smile
no2ss
View Profile
Loyal user
California
231 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Awesome. So yeah, the possible con is that it uses a crib to avoid the memory work. If you don't mind a (hidden just as you'd expect it to be) crib, then, that's not a con. If you hate effects that require cribs, then, maybe pass on this. But, really, you should check it out. It's clever.
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
304 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Https://qmagi.com/shop?olsPage=products%......n-fowell - I don't know why the link has changed.

It's now available from the link above. I will get some form of demo done this week, not that there's a lot to demo.
magicthree
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of magicthree
Adrian was kind enough to send this to me for a review so here goes. This is very clever and really well thought out. First I would like to mention the crib sheet. It may be too small for us older folks so you could make it larger and do a couple of things that magician Paul Richard does in a trick he sells called MONIKER where he uses a crib sheet.

You ask for the name of the card and you proceed to spell it by opening up a spiral notepad and on the inside of the cover you can place it there beforehand and can get a quick glimpse before you write down the card on a sheet of paper and tear it out. He also used it on the back of his business card. I'll let you work out some of the ways to get a glimpse.

Having the spectator cut the deck and then spelling the card is definitely the best way to perform this because it's hands off. ( it can miss but Adrian has an excellent way to correct it if it does). I was even thinking if you wanted a can't miss option. The magician could cut the cards and place them onto the table, then ask again for the name of the card and then have him spell to his card. Not sure if that would take away from the trick though. You could also I believe cut the deck into 3 piles and then gather them up in a certain way and then do the spell. That may take some more thinking though.

Overall I really like this and along with his latest trick, PURE, Adrian has really came up with two very impressive tricks that seem impossible.
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
304 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Cheers magicthree

Couple of comments on yours and no2ss' review to clarify a few things. I appreciate you guys don't want to say too much.

From an examining the deck POV, whilst I understand no2ss' comments, you're basically looking at opening a brand new deck of cards and adding a Joker to it. So 57. If you were to analyse the deck, of course it's a stack, then yeah, maybe. I don't think it is terribly likely that anything would be spotted unless they're paying attention to cards other than the one they arrived at.

The crib? I have only one eye and said eye is not brilliant, but you could make it up in a different font (fixed width) but I don't think normally that would be an issue if you know what you're looking at.

The cut is hard to miss imo, the spec has to cut. I think if you cut without letting them try first, it kills the effect - misses are handled, but they have to cut if you're going down that route.
no2ss
View Profile
Loyal user
California
231 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, drawfull wrote:
Cheers magicthree

Couple of comments on yours and no2ss' review to clarify a few things. I appreciate you guys don't want to say too much.

From an examining the deck POV, whilst I understand no2ss' comments, you're basically looking at opening a brand new deck of cards and adding a Joker to it. So 57. If you were to analyse the deck, of course it's a stack, then yeah, maybe. I don't think it is terribly likely that anything would be spotted unless they're paying attention to cards other than the one they arrived at.

The crib? I have only one eye and said eye is not brilliant, but you could make it up in a different font (fixed width) but I don't think normally that would be an issue if you know what you're looking at.

The cut is hard to miss imo, the spec has to cut. I think if you cut without letting them try first, it kills the effect - misses are handled, but they have to cut if you're going down that route.

Yup. Just to clarify on my end, I did say you could kind of have it be examined, but that people might notice stuff -- and, honestly, I wasn't talking about the jokers... but... the advertising cards. People so normally throw those out, they might wonder why they're still in the deck. That's it. As I said, also easy enough to explain away (and I might almost be tempted to try to just use duplicate cards rather than the advertising cards to avoid that issue and you're probably fine).

As for the cutting, you *need* to let the spec cut as far as I'm concerned. That's part of what makes this so mindblowing. I'm not at all worried about the cutting, as I've used that method in other effects in the past and while it's not 100%, it's pretty *** close, and easy to correct when it's not.
RCarruth
View Profile
Loyal user
South Carolina
201 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
I see it's now available. I'm going to give it a try. Love all the CANN type effects and will give this one a fair shake.
Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1703 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a fan of spelling tricks, with a few rare exceptions - and this is one of them. Having the spectator cut the pack to a random starting point, then spelling to their card really elevates this above all the other spell to a card effects. The method is also super clever- Adrian has a knack for figuring out the hard stuff that would scare most of us off. Its also easy to perform as well thanks to the use of the crib. Hats off again Adrian, another fantastic effect that is a steal at the bargain price.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Speak CAAN Spell by Adrian Fowell (3 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL