The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » One Bad Mouse Spoils It For The Whole Bunch (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14010 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
So I was all ready to do a birthday party. Had the venue all set and everything was go. It was a place called “Cloud Nine” The place has arcade games and all kind of fun activities for kids. Then suddenly at the last minute the mom calls me and says there is a total change of venue because she found out they will not allow magicians to perform there! Instead it is at a pizza house on the opposite side of town.

I asked her why. She said that some entertainer dressed up like Mickey Mouse had treated some kids mean during his show, so now no magicians are allowed.

What a bunch of garbage!

Be that as it may, I was just curious what have been some of the most unpleasant, unexpected surprises or adverse conditions etc that you have encountered during your performing career? And how did you handle them?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1149 Posts

Profile of danfreed
The weirdest one was a birthday about 10 years ago. It was a small house and only space in 1 room for the show, outdoors wasn't an option for some reason. They had a bubble machine blasting bubbles for a good while before I got there, they had a plastic tarp across the whole floor to protect it, it was tucked under furniture. The floor was so slippery it was dangerous for me and the kids. Kids were slipping and getting hurt and crying. I asked them to remove the tarp and they looked at me like I was crazy and said it would be too much trouble. I should have left, but I didn't want a bad review even though it wouldn't have been warranted, and didn't want to disappoint the kids. But really, I should have left.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14010 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yikes!!
KMFrye
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of KMFrye
Not necessarily unpleasant, but certainly unsuspected, was an encounter several years back. I was playing a house party not far from Bethlehem, PA. I was performing in the sitting room while the parents and their associates were in the next (dining) room, connected by an open archway. The conversation that boiled out of the dining room was loud, verbose, punctuated by F-bombs and sounded like it was recorded from "Goodfellas". I mean, they were talking about pistol practise - one fellow even said "My wife shoots bedda dan me! Amiright?"

So, I put my head down to plough through the show. I'm just past the intro and we're starting to bond with the kids, when the World's Proudest Pistol-packing Fadda comes up to me and asks me "Hey magician, can you make my wife disappear?"

Not sure what possessed me, but I leaned into him and said (mock sotto voce) "Sir, I'm fairly confident you know many people, far better qualified than I, for that effect." This was picked up on my mic and broadcast through both rooms. It got very quiet for a split second, when Uncle Vinnie exclaimed "You know, he's RIGHT!" Booms of laughter, while I eyed the door.

Needless to say, I finished the gig and was paid cash, in a brown paper bag.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14010 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Holy crap!
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1812 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Did a magic show for a Stripper Mommy.

Her boyfriend read the paper during my show,
maybe he was to Macho to watch a kids birthday party magic show.

She paid me all in SINGLES.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1149 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I hoped you washed that cash! I used to be an agent, and I booked a blind comedian for a gig, they paid him all in singles so he'd know they weren't ripping him off, he found that funny.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » One Bad Mouse Spoils It For The Whole Bunch (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL