The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dr Zimbardo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4725 Posts

Profile of landmark
Makes interesting listening when juxtaposed to the Stanley Milgram experiments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCVlI-_4GZQ

In a nutshell: in an authoritarian environment, people may behave in ways that they would otherwise consider evil. What ameliorates the effect is when a peer refuses to act in a manner that breaks his or her moral code. Others then tend to find their inner strength to resist the immoral directives. So, one act of courage and whistleblowing engenders others.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
“All prisons are social experiments” is true. What one finds in prisons are top sociologists usually teaching, studying and carrying out social experiments. If the experiment is successful on sees it coming about in the outer world. In prion, for years now they have had contracts where the prisoner agrees to behalf in a certain way and if he breaks the contract he loses his privileges as they call them. They also have what they call enhanced prisoners with better cells etcetera, earned through certain behaviour. In the outer world now we see the social credit system coming in, which is sort of the opposite of mistreatment: points make prizes. See China. Cannabis was unofficially made legal in prison decades ago. They turned a blind eye to it in one way but studied the effects on behaviour. It keeps them happy and less troublesome.

Play your cards right
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2505 Posts

Profile of critter
It's probably best I don't give my opinions on prisons, profits, and politics.

I do like that this research led to studying the "Hero Effect." At least that's a positive.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
The prison study, scheduled to last two weeks, lasted only six days after Zimbardo’s girlfriend, Christina Maslach (now his wife of many years), persuaded him to shut it down.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2018......findings

Long story short: "...when revelations about Abu Ghraib came to light, he said, his first reaction was, “This is so familiar to me. I knew exactly what was going on. I could picture myself in the middle of that..." Smile ! Smile Smile !!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
It is probably best our hero plays safe or else he might lose his privileges.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Dr Zimbardo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL