The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best way/place to shop for a Star Sapphire ring (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3975 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Am in the market for a star sapphire ring, but am finding their isn't much market for them these days, haha.

Just wondering if anyone might have a good idea re: shopping for this kind of ring (men's, btw).

I know there's eBay, and some online stores I've found - would prefer to deal with a known quantity.

For those unfamiliar with a star sapphire, here's a pic of one (they come in various colors):

My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
474 Posts

Profile of karnak
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3975 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Haha, Karnak, how long have you been waiting for an opportunity to spring that clip on someone? That was great!

Now I know what to ask prospective dealers!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Our bar is in the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham England and I grew up there and so know many of the jewellers there and can ask.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3975 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Thank you, Tommy!

Quote:
On Oct 20, 2019, tommy wrote:
Our bar is in the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham England and I grew up there and so know many of the jewellers there and can ask.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
I have spoken to our jeweller friends. Their advice, in general, is to buy a loose stone from a reputable Gem Dealer and have the ring made. That way you are dealing with the trade rather than retailers. Tell the gem dealer how much you want to spend and they will show you a range to fit the bill. The price of them is essentially determined by the Assay Office: they certify them as genuine and grade them. Genuine star sapphires are rare and so can be expensive even at trade price. The details of that particular ring above are here: https://eragem.com/mas10377.html
Are you really looking for a genuine large expensive star sapphire like that? There are inexpensive synthetic star sapphires.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3975 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Thank you, Tommy, much appreciated!

I did go to a local jeweler who said they had some stones to look at, and from that visit I've pretty much decided to go with lab created, due mostly to the consistent 'presence' of the star. Lower price is a good bonus. I will take your advice and look into having the ring made up for me. It will be a pinky ring, btw.

Thanks again!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Some of today’s synthetic stones are excellent.

“The first synthetic sapphire was produced in 1902 by a French chemist using the flame fusion method. This was not a very sophisticated process and a trained gemmologist can easily distinguish a flame fusion synthetic sapphire from a natural sapphire. In the 1960s the flux grown sapphire came into the market, followed by ‘floating zone’ and hydrothermal processes. These synthetics are not as easily identifiable and advanced laboratory testing may be required to differentiate them.” - The Birmingham Assay Office

Tommy
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3975 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I've heard that lab created diamonds are creating a lot of consternation due to their being considerably less expensive than natural.

Here's a video I saw a few weeks ago that talks about lab grown vs. natural diamonds. I found it very interesting.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
The colour in the gem is the spirit of the metal captured as it tried to escape the fire and as a reflection in a mirror, you can see it but you can never touch it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best way/place to shop for a Star Sapphire ring (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL