The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Help with Traveling Show (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
If I lived in a tourist destination I would have a regular show. I don't, and at this point can't really move or believe me I would. I've decided to have a traveling show.

I plan to go to the small forgotten towns not close to a city. I plan to offer a kids show, a mentalism show, and a hypnotism show. over the weekend. All self-funded. Money is not really an issue.

The problem is I don't know how. My shows are polished, that is not a problem. I just need to know the ins-and-outs of setting it up. Are there any materials on this, any coaches, anything?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and help.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
#1... learn everything you can about marketing. The biggest mistake I made when trying to produce a touring variety show was assuming that basic advertising would get people to buy tickets. It won't. A couple of newspaper ads and posters around town will only sell so many tickets and you'll end up losing money real fast.

As a side note... are you in Raleigh NC? That's a pretty large city that should be able to host a regular show. I don't think Indianapolis is anymore of a tourist destination than Raleigh...
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
As far as "setting it up" that's the easy part if you plan to self-fund it. I mean what I did was just contact the venues, rent them, advertise the show, and that's that. Which part of setting it up are you wondering about?
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Hey KC,

In most small towns you probably won’t sell enough tickets to pay the rent by simply advertising a magic show and hoping the people will show up.
You need help from a local group such as a Fire Dept, VFW, School or some other local known group. Their name alone will pull more people
in than an unknown magician can.

Tom
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Tom,

That is what I was afraid of . . . I really don't want the work of starting with and training a new group to work with every week. I want this to be fun
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10605 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:
Hey KC,

In most small towns you probably won’t sell enough tickets to pay the rent by simply advertising a magic show and hoping the people will show up.
You need help from a local group such as a Fire Dept, VFW, School or some other local known group. Their name alone will pull more people

Tom

I absolutely disagree with this. If you know what you're doing there is no need for this. These groups often expect a potion of your gate which is unnecessary and not smart . While it is one strategy, in the format thomasR and KC are discussing which is a complete 4 wall, this should not be part of the equation. I would never agree to do it this way.

KC, I'd be very careful who you listen to on this topic or you could lose your shirt or worse.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I am happy for any advice. It would be nice to do it the right way on the first try. I have re-invented the wheel more than once.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:
Hey KC,

Tom

I absolutely disagree with this. If you know what you're doing there is no need for this. These groups often expect a potion of your gate which is unnecessary and not smart . While it is one strategy, in the format thomasR and KC are discussing which is a complete 4 wall, this should not be part of the equation. I would never agree to do it this way.

KC, I'd be very careful who you listen to on this topic or you could lose your shirt or worse.

Of course you disagree, you always disagree will any suggestion except your own. And it is just a suggestion, I’m sure KC is smart enough to decide on his own how he wants to go about things.

Yes the group would expect a cut of the money. But I don’t know of any help that you hire that wouldn’t expect to be paid. I don’t know of any newspaper or TV that would give an individual,
doing something for profit, free advertising. I don’t know of any location that is going to give an out of town individual a discount on rent. So you can plan on spending money one way or
the other. I just think in a small town you can get more for your money by giving it to a charity group and being able to use their name. I’m a big believer that ‘WE’ out performs ‘I’ every time. The percent of the split can vary.

Small town people stick together and support local groups. So it’s important to choose the best date for the show. If you’re competing against local football games, a play or some other activity,
ticket sales can suffer.

Just a suggestion and however he decides to go about it I wish him luck. Nothing wrong with having more than one way to do things. The mindpro way is not the only way.Smile

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am pretty sure he didn't just plan on hoping people show up. I am fairly certain that the reason he started this was to do exactly the opposite. So for you to position the question as either you work with these groups or do nothing is a bit disingenuous. There is a lot of room between doing nothing and having to work with them.

I agree you probably don't see it, but there is.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, Of course he is not just hoping they will show up. But my point is if all you do is run an ad that you will be there then that is exactly what you’re doing.
Filling seats takes a lot of work. You either do it yourself or you have help doing it.

Tom
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
What Tom is talking about is the fundraising approach. I've never done that but I bought Kaplan's "course" on fundraising magic and I've heard Gary Carson's talks on the subject and it seems to work for them. I think that type of system certainly can work, but it's not exactly KC was describing.

KC don't get discouraged yet! If you aren't going to put yourself in a bad financial situation I personally encourage you to give it a try. Find the ideal venue, rent it for a weekend, and see how it goes. Since it is just you performing, that reduces your expenses quite a bit and makes it easier to break even. I also think your idea of doing multiple shows is good... if people like you they will want to come back to see your other shows or they will tell your friends about you.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
ThomasR,

I’ve never read Kaplan's course but I have done fundraising. There are many different ways to go about it. One simple way is to simply use the group as a ‘sponsor’
some may call that sponsored shows but it is about the same thing. You still need a group and they get a very small percentage of the gate and all of the concession
stand take. The benefits can be worth it oh.

And for the record, I'm not saying just a straight up show won't work, it can but it is a gamble at times.

Tom
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10605 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:
Of course you disagree, you always disagree will any suggestion except your own. And it is just a suggestion, I’m sure KC is smart enough to decide on his own how he wants to go about things.

Yes the group would expect a cut of the money.

Tom

No, it is not a matter of disagreeing with me, but as Danny has said over and over again, I will step in when you are offering incorrect or uninformed advice that could cost someone here a loss of money by taking your opinion as fact. He specifically said what he was seeking, and what you're speaking of, as thomasR said, the fundraising approach, was not what he was inquiring about. He was describing a 4 wall model, which would and does not include others taking a cut as you "suggest."

Again, I've never understood why you chime in offering poor opinionated advice in something you have little or no experience with. Leading him down an improper path will not help him in any way. Please understand the point and topic, not your desire to just chime in.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10605 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Also, as many here know there are many flaws to Kaplan's system if you are an unknown or inexperienced as he will tell you.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Mindpro,

What do you mean by little or no experience? I find it funny how you love telling people they can’t do something that they have already done.

Again, I am NOT talking about Kaplan's system. I’m talking about MY own proven system that I have used. I did it for several years with great
success. Unlike you I am not trying to sell anything, I’m only speaking from experience.

Like I said it’s only one suggestion, and now please stop trying to discredit something you know absolutely nothing about.
Post your better way or shut up.

Tom
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2019, KC Cameron wrote:
Tom,

That is what I was afraid of . . . I really don't want the work of starting with and training a new group to work with every week. I want this to be fun

KC,

Sorry I never did answer with all the distraction. But actually there is not much training to it. You deal mostly with just one person that is in charge of the group/charity.
Again, that’s just one suggestion and Good Luck with whatever you do. I agree it should be fun and something you’re comfortable doing.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And information done. Thanks Tom.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
One issue you will run into with that model is the quality of the person you work with in Toms fantasy example. Your success is directly tied to the competence of this person.

I think you are absolutely right to be worried about this suspect model. If you do more than one a year you spend more time as a defacto corporate trainer than a magician.

This idea is fraught with pitfalls and I think KC is smart to see it. Not everyone is adept at selling. Most organizations are just not prepared to do this, OR THEY WOULDN'T NEED YOU. I put that in caps for a reason. Think hard about it. If they were so great at selling tickets then all they have to do is hire a performer to do the show! NOT GIVE AWAY 80% of the sales of tickets they are so good at selling. Nobody ever has an answer when this fantasy land pitch comes up here.

So you end up having to do a huge percentage of the work by yourself. If you are doing several in a tour it becomes one of the labors of Hercules. But I'm sure the world's foremost authority has done it in the 80's with remarkable success.

And by the way nobody has to post a better suggestion or shut up. How rude. We can sinply show how bad a suggestion this is. Nobody is required to post better ones, though many exist. And as soon as someone does you will claim that is what you were saying all along.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny,

You’re reading too much into what I’m saying. I haven’t said a word about the group going out and selling tickets. Let me keep it simply.
I think we both can agree that somebody has to sell the show tickets. This can be through normal advertising the same way you would do
without a group/charity. You follow me.

Ok, my point is IT IS MUCH EASIER TO SELL TICKETS and I’m talking about anyway you prefer to sell them, IF A PART OF THE MONEY IS GOING TO A GOOD CAUSE.

In a small town it’s also much easier to get free newspaper and tv spots to promote the show when you are doing it this way. Some may even provide the stage free of charge.

I agree, KC is smart enough to do what he thinks is best for him. It’s just sad that you and Mindpro won’t let different ideas be discussed here without all the bs.

I wish him the best,

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And you define all the bs as pointing out the flaws in your fantasy land posts?

So obviously you have no counter point as you just need to attack.

You think in 2019 a local newspaper add is relevant? Way to be out of touch.

And no I do not believe it is easier to sell tickets just because part of the money goes to a good cause. That is not enough by a long shot.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Help with Traveling Show (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL