The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Help with Traveling Show (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
“Did you cancel the event or did the venue? Did you get a refund from the venue?”

There were 3 venues-

1 venue cancelled and gave me a full refund.
The other 2 venues recommended that I postpone the shows and reschedule and they both offered that with no charge or fees.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
Yea most Broadway doesn't use this. Certainty not first run.

Most really successful shoes don't use this system.

Are you talking about gold star specifically or discount tickets?
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
“I'm glad you feel FB ads, digital billboards and discount tickets worked for you.”

FB ads worked very well. Discount tickets added ticket sales, I’m not saying they were a huge success and it’s hard to judge because of the timing.

The digital billboards DID NOT WORK. They did not show a good ROI.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
“I also don't agree that this is the model that everyone uses... Vegas, Broadway, etc. Not at all. I don't know why you would think this.”

Because I buy 40-50% off tickets when I go to broadway and Vegas shows. All those 50% off booths in Vegas and the TCKTS booth in Times Square.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9906 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
For single night events?
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9906 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2020, thomasR wrote:

No, I understand that. Billboards usually have other benefits and affects. ROI is only one benefit, but billboards can offer several additional. They can be a major impression that supplements your other ROI efforts.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2020, thomasR wrote:

No, I understand that. Billboards usually have other benefits and affects. ROI is only one benefit, but billboards can offer several additional. They can be a major impression that supplements your other ROI efforts.

Oh for sure. Agreed.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
For single night events?

You said “I also don't agree that this is the model that everyone uses... Vegas, Broadway, etc. Not at all. I don't know why you would think this.“

Broadway shows and Vegas shows are not 1 night events.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9906 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes, exactly.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
Yes, exactly.

So you agree Vegas and Broadway shows use the discount ticket model, but that model shouldn’t be applied to touring shows?
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9906 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I'm not saying that I'm saying it makes much more sense for residency or run shows to sell poor seats and off-night/day performances rather than having empty seats as long as there are additional ways to profit or recoup from these discounted tickets. I wouldn't do discount pricing on a one night or weekend (2 or 3 show) engagement.

Also, you are bouncing back and forth in your narrative between producer/promoter and attendee. Discount tickets are much more than they appear (other than to attendees). Usually, discounted tickets to a promoter means volume ticket sales in designated times/applications. Also, there are times when discounted ticket sales can result in greater profits than even their original face value when utilized and applied properly.

So again, we must compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges, and see it at a much greater level than just surface level.

As Danny said, unless a volume or better profitability opportunity is utilized, it can quickly diminish the value of your show if not done properly. The only time I would ever even consider discount tickets is if and when it doesn't compromise the value of the show or the original ticket pricing.

This is why I asked if your primary income/revenue source was from ticket sales? If so I would not be doing discounted tickets. If your primary income is not from ticket sales then it can be a different situation.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
It's hard to say how things would have turned out without the Coronavirus. Tickets were selling well until all the news hit... then ticket sales slowed, then they stopped, then people started asking for refunds. ha.

I went into this knowing I may lose a little... but I was planning on losing a little knowing I was testing the show, the marketing, and getting photos / video from the various shows. But that's life! We will see when things get back to normal(ish) and I'll start it up again.

The only thing I'm truly out is marketing money... but that ads up.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
When you get a name for putting out discount tickets that is what you are known for. To change the perception is very difficult.

It is not difficult at all actually to know what might have happened. You may very well have sold tickets at a discount. That is easy to believe. But think of why not too many comics can make the jump to larger shows for a second. Part of the problem is people thinking about how they used to get free tickets, and now have to pay $75 for a seat. It is hard to change that perception.

MANY guys are good enough to sell small arenas and simply can't overcome the perception problem. Maybe you are different, I don't know.

Short term "gains" need to be weighed against long term viability. I would NEVER position myself as a discount act.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
When I said “difficult to know” I meant in general. Not just related to discount tickets.

The discount tickets is really another discussion- I don’t claim to be an expert after putting some shows up on Goldstar and seeing a few results.

I have bought discount tickets for Copperfield, O, Mac King, Piff, Penn & Teller only had discount tickets available in the upper section so I paid full price to have good seats.
Broadway I’ve paid full price a couple times but usually get the 50% off at tckts or I get a “Rush” ticket at the box office.

But I’m not saying that applies directly to a touring show.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It dosen't apply at all. It is apples and hand grenades.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Gotcha.

Well let’s look just at Vegas then... do you think it’s unwise for Copperfield, Cirque, etc. to offer discounts?
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9906 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
They aren't selling discount tickets. They are selling volume tickets that later are offered discounted by those purchasers. Not the same as selling discount tickets or papering. Important to know and understand the differences.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Who said anything about papering the house? I mean I’ve been that desperate in the past... but not lately!!!!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You seize upon one word or term, and miss the point of his post.

They often will offer a certain amount of discount tickets. Quite often that number of tickets is gone when the bargain hunter looks for the bargain and they end up buying full price.

You can't look at it as a blanket thing and just try to apply it across the board. They are ESTABLISHED names and shows. You traveling are probably not as much a name. They have an established value.

The fact is that nobody will even know what a "bargain price" to see your show is, if they have never seen the show in the first place. You have to establish a value before anyone knows it is discounted. So if you START with that discount, you are shouting quite loudly your value.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
No I see your point. Honestly I hate the discount ticket idea and feel sleazy buying tickets from the discount booths in Vegas... “hey you want a free buffet card too?” - but money is money.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Help with Traveling Show (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL