The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Help with Traveling Show (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9906 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree. That was the reason I originally mentioned insurance in the first place is it often one of the elements not realized or factored for which can be a game-changer when problems occur.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2735 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Business places, including theaters, will usually have insurance that will cover ANY accident. But it wasn’t until the nightclub fires a few years back that drew so much attention did insurance companies start telling their customers to have a backup insurance when it comes to out of town visitors such as entertainers.

I’ve never owned a business where I didn’t have insurance that wouldn’t cover anybody that walked inside of it. That’s a requirement for any place where others gather. Even the small market daycare centers today are required by law to have insurance.. And yes it would cover a visiting magician, but don’t be surprised when they ask you for proof of insurance. No need for them to file a claim on their own insurance when they can file it on yours.

I don’t care what anybody tells you, it hasn’t always been this way. I have rented many, many places in small towns to do a magic show that never mentioned insurance. Times have changed over the past 10/15 years where everyone is afraid of lawsuits.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9906 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Once again Tom and his opinion knows best. Yet those of us that do and have done this for years are wrong. Ok, Tom, got it. The agenda continues...
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9906 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Like the other thread, do you have experience producing and promoting a traveling show Tom? (the actual title and purpose of this thread)
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
I agree. That was the reason I originally mentioned insurance in the first place is it often one of the elements not realized or factored for which can be a game-changer when problems occur.

It is an extra expense that needs to be factored in. As Danny mentioned, sometimes theaters will add you on to their insurance for a fee. Otherwise you need to purchase it and provide proof to the theatre or the contract is cancelled.
If you plan to do more than a couple shows in a year, an annual policy is something to look in to.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2735 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Oh I completely agree anybody set up to do business, magic or whatever, needs insurance.

My point is it’s a much bigger deal today than it was a few years ago. More people will ask for it now, so have it.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2735 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
Like the other thread, do you have experience producing and promoting a traveling show Tom? (the actual title and purpose of this thread)

Yes.

Tom

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tom this was an issue in the 1990's. It has been an issue forever. There never was a time when a theater was happy to cover liability for a traveling show. It never happened that way ever except in fantasy land 60 years ago apparently.

Night club fires had nothing to do with it in the world we inhabit.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
And who cares? He is asking about touring in 2019, not in fantasy land 1980.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2005 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I have a question, more out of curiosity than wanting to do it.
From reading things in The Jinx, magicians were able to book and present shows at hotels. I know that hotels are not anything like they used to be and neither is society, yet is there a market for a traveling show to book a hotel for a weekend? Could it be a viable venture?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I doubt it. But anything is possible.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
I have a question, more out of curiosity than wanting to do it.
From reading things in The Jinx, magicians were able to book and present shows at hotels. I know that hotels are not anything like they used to be and neither is society, yet is there a market for a traveling show to book a hotel for a weekend? Could it be a viable venture?

Steve Cohen has performed his "Chamber Magic" shows at upscale hotels in Chicago and Beverly Hills in addition to his normal hotel show in NYC.

A hotel doesn't really solve any of the problems that a touring show has... you still have to advertise and get people to buy tickets. One positive about the upscale nature of shows like Steve Cohen's Chamber Magic and Dennis Watkins Magic Parlor is they have a lower capacity by design. If I rent a 300 seat theatre and only 50 people show up... I'm not going to feel like it was a success. That's pretty much a sell out for Cohen.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20295 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
His deal is not touring. Sure he did a couple other cities, but his deal is Wirth the main hotel company. Very different.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9906 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This is why I say so much depends on the actual deal and the model chosen. Most of those hotel deals are different than a road or touring deal.

To more specifically address Wravyn question, touring or traveling productions in hotels these days are more often for educational or content types of productions (real estate investing, flipping, stop smoking, weight loss, etc.) rather than entertainment shows or productions. I tis much better income for hotels. Is it still possible yes, but since it is not so common in the hospitality (hotel) industry these days, and entertainment has been eliminated from host hotels in lieu of other income-producing options, it would be a much harder sell or trying to present something that is out of the norm for them.

As residency show at a hotel, I think could still be doable if all of the necessary elements were in place, the hotel was completely onboard, and you had the bankroll to fund it for a year or two to stick with it until the point of turning the corner of profitability. That is a lot to line up properly, which is why it is rare and usually the exception to the rule. Of course, chances could be better in a tourist market if it is a tourist property (hotel).

One of the benefits to a hotel venture is they have in-house resources to promote the production, and an in-house audience to target. The problem is most I have seen attempt this RELY primarily on this audience which is an uncontrollable variable. They often don't do much outter promotion to actually bring in an audience because of this which is where many shoot themselves in the foot. They misunderstand and misjudge the hotel's in-house audience element, then don't put enough primary effort on the proper and necessary outside, public promotion and marketing.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
His deal is not touring. Sure he did a couple other cities, but his deal is Wirth the main hotel company. Very different.

Agreed. Just something that I thought was worth mentioning as an example.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2005 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Gentlemen, thank you for taking the time to answer. I do think I understand the
why.
As Mindpro mentioned, the real estate and house flip seminars that take place at hotels are the reason I asked. I had heard some radio promotions about a seminar for house flipping which instigated my question.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9906 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
ThomasR, just out of curiosity and trying to better understand what you do, are you moving away from contracted lighting work with your bands and more into self-produced ventures, or is it something you just do on the side? Is it something you are moving into more or just side projects?
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9906 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
Gentlemen, thank you for taking the time to answer. I do think I understand the
why.
As Mindpro mentioned, the real estate and house flip seminars that take place at hotels are the reason I asked. I had heard some radio promotions about a seminar for house flipping which instigated my question.

My production company has produced many of these for some of the top brands/experts in the country, as well as my own, and events in the entrepreneur space. Hotels prefer these types of deals over entertainment events. They are popular and fueled by reality television which is a huge coup for attendance and numbers at these events. Great question!
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1062 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
ThomasR, just out of curiosity and trying to better understand what you do, are you moving away from contracted lighting work with your bands and more into self-produced ventures, or is it something you just do on the side? Is it something you are moving into more or just side projects?
I wish I understood what I do! :p But yes the goal has always been to produce more shows on my own.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9906 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Lol!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Help with Traveling Show (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL