We Remember The Magic Cafť We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Tricky business Ľ Ľ Help with Traveling Show (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9964 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2019, thomasR wrote:
Itís a shame he just left the thread though. Iíve done exactly what heís talking about doing (minus the magic) in various venues in north and South Carolina and also Georgia and Tennessee which arenít too far away from him (darn close in the touring world!).

I kept going back to Greensboro, always had a nice audience there and each time I returned, I got a bigger audience.

Not saying Iím the expert... danny and mindpro certainly know more on the hypnosis show side of things thatís for sure. But I was looking forward to the thread continuing and seeing what could be learned.


What would be your top three pieces of advice based on producing shows in those venues? What size rooms are you usually securing?
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1077 Posts

Profile of thomasR
500-1500. 1500 was too big but I didnít know that at first.

Top 1 is this... concentrate on selling tickets. At first I concentrated on everything else thinking tickets would sell themselves. (Naturally I advertised... but not nearly enough and not in the right ways).
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20325 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That is serious ticket sales.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2749 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2019, thomasR wrote:
500-1500. 1500 was too big but I didnít know that at first.

Top 1 is this... concentrate on selling tickets. At first I concentrated on everything else thinking tickets would sell themselves. (Naturally I advertised... but not nearly enough and not in the right ways).



Well maybe I can finally post something now.

I agree that ticket sales are the most important thing. Everything else means nothing if you canít sell tickets. And yes it often takes more than just money to do it the right way.

For years and up until this year, I helped promote a very large haunted forest event around Halloween. We sell thousands of tickets. Itís not a magic show but certainly a big entertainment event.
We use limited paid advertising, and I say limited because our best by far advertising is the FREE advertising we get. Those who say free is no good flat out donít know what theyíre talking about. There are more places today to get free advertising than ever before

Now to be clear when I say free in some instances it may not always be zero dollars, but close to nothing compared to paid advertising. True local people have more pull and more time to put things into play than someone passing through town would, but once you understand where to get good free ads, you just repeat it from place to place. And the good news is it doesnít have to be for a charity like many think.


No matter what the event is, Flyers has always worked when posted around town and will still work today. Itís still a main part of and works great for circuses and carnivals. Still works great for the politicians too.

But itís no secret that todayís hot spot is the internet. Thatís where everybody hangs out even in the smallest of towns, and thatís where you have to go to spread the word. Besides the paid ads you will want to use Iíve added a couple of often overlooked places to advertise for FREE. And the good thing about advertising online is you donít have to be in that town to do it.



1. Craigslist. Every larger city has a section on Craigslist to announce local events.

2. Facebook, Post to your facebook but also ask all your contacts in that town to announce the event on their facebook page.

3. But more importantly with Facebook is probably the local buy and sell groups. Thatís where you can reach the local people. Most all towns will have several of these groups. It costs zero to join the group and its free to post there. It is a good place to announce the show and create some talk.

4. ebay (yes itís spelled with a little letter e) and yes you can actually sell tickets on ebay. List it under Buy It Now and not as an auction. It is a small fee but only after you make a sale. All the views you get oh is free advertising.

5. Many towns will have a community bulletin board online that you can post on. There are also free local publications that will print events for free.

6. Radio. Some small towns will give free tickets to the lets say the tenth caller. Cost you a couple of thickets but you get the advertising from it.

And there are many, many, more if you only look and ASK.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1077 Posts

Profile of thomasR
While the free promotion opportunities should not be ignored... in my experiences they are not enough.

With radio... I never saw much with ticket give aways or even paid ads. But if I can get an interview, even if it's short, with one of the performers... that's when I saw a serious bump in ticket sales and internet traffic.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20325 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am glad someone stepped in to point out.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2749 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Oh I completely agree you canít do it with just Free Ads alone, unless of course you working with a good charity and then you can get the radio and tv interviews completely free.
But it is worth pointing out that one shouldnít overlook the free stuff even with paid ads thinking it won't help. It can.

I personally believe that one would be a fool to ignore the power of facebook today. There you can do paid and free ads. But even there if you do it right the free can out pull the paid.


Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20325 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
When was the last time you toured a show if ever?

You are presenting pretty out dated information.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2749 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
When was the last time you toured a show if ever?

You are presenting pretty out dated information.



Back in 1926, me and Harry Houdini did a live interview on facebook.

There, when you ask stupid questions you will get a stupid answer.


But anyway, with Facbook still having 1.32 billion daily active users that is hardly outdated.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20325 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Name calling? That is against the rules.

I'll have to inform the moderators.

I think another apology is in order.

The "question" was about the last time you ever toured a show? Why is that so stupid? You are blathering on about the best way to do things and all I did was ask you when the last time you did it?

Then you went on to be mean and say stuff about Facebook.

So to answer the question it is obviously never.

Yout do this in every thread Tom and everyone is sick of it. If you have not toured a show just say so. People have a right to know about who is giving them information and what qualifies them to do so.

No need for name calling.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9964 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:
Well maybe I can finally post something now.

Tom


That seems to be how you think about every post.

Here you go again! Once again, what you are posting is off-topic and has nothing to do with the content of this thread - "Help With A TRAVELING Show.

No matter how hard you try to twist it and attempt to make it pertain to your little bumpkinville haunted forest, it is no way even close to producing a successful traveling kids magic, mentalism or hypnosis show. Not even close! Yet you still try to force all of your general business stuff on those here looking for real-world experienced information about a traveling roadshow. It's could be considered flaming.

Secondly, NO! it is NOT something you should post about as I SPECIFICALLY ASKED THOMASR the question, AS IT PERTAINS TO HIS PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE! Again, not you or anything you think youíve had experience with. YOU take this and other threads off-topic every time. Start your own thread about how to market a local show if you want, but stop messing with everyone elseís hard work and time investment in this topic.

Threatening lawsuits and legal action, makingthreats, calling names - just STOP!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2749 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, yes I have toured a show and I have a very long background in magic.

Mindpro, the main topic was over several pages back. What is being said now has nothing to do with what KC wanted to know. Do you understand what general talk is? If you donít like what I say, skip it and move on. Whatís so hard to understand about that?

Mindpro, like many here I donít even know your name, I have no idea who you are, where you from, and Iíve even heard you say youíre not a magician. But thatís not a problem oh, not a problem at all with me because Iím smart enough to read your posts and decide what would work for me and what would not. What to believe and what not to believe. And for you to keep insisting that all the readers here are not smart enough to do the same is an insult to everybody here.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20325 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:
Danny, yes I have toured a show and I have a very long background in magic.

Mindpro, the main topic was over several pages back. What is being said now has nothing to do with what KC wanted to know. Do you understand what general talk is? If you donít like what I say, skip it and move on. Whatís so hard to understand about that?

Mindpro, like many here I donít even know your name, I have no idea who you are, where you from, and Iíve even heard you say youíre not a magician. But thatís not a problem oh, not a problem at all with me because Iím smart enough to read your posts and decide what would work for me and what would not. What to believe and what not to believe. And for you to keep insisting that all the readers here are not smart enough to do the same is an insult to everybody here.

Tom


No you have not toured a show in this century Tom. Stop.

Nobody but YOU said anything about anyone not being smart enough. That is YOU twisting things to suit your own agenda. All I am saying is they should not have to wade through useless information to get to good information.

You never answered my question about the house builder. Should someone have to wade through a bunch of nonsense from a guy who only reads about where to put smoke detectors and where to put load bearing walls and doors and means of egress and such? Or should the guy who has no clue how to do such things, or hasn't actually done them in decades at best, just be smart enough to not bother people looking for REAL WORLD information?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1077 Posts

Profile of thomasR
"All I am saying is they should not have to wade through useless information to get to good information."

Welcome to the internet.

Tom's last post seemed on topic to me... and as Tom said KC is long gone so the original point of this thread was dead when he decided to take the conversation private with mindpro, danny, and whoever else.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9964 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Not at all, there was a great deal of contiued on-topic information being discussed. Several of us have tried to get it back on topic in spite of Tom. Just because someone contacts members by PM in no way ceases the discussion or progression of the thread. Or takes the entire conversation private. I get PMs and emails on just about every thread, yet they continue on the forum, in spite of Tom's disruptions.

Also, others than just the OP are intereted in topics as well. Many that won't post but ar estill interested. In reality, along with working with agents and agencies, the topic of 4-wall is consistently one of the most popular I get questions about and one of my most popular coaching programs. Which is why this being disrupted affects many more than just the few that stay on and tolerate this nonsense, in spite of the stuff many feel they are made to wade through.

Tom could very well use PM to offer his general information and off-topic posts as well and spare everyone else the need to have to wade.

I believe you know as well as I do that the stuff Tom thinks he is contributing to this thread would set most 4-walling products up for great loss and failure. None of it is professional means or resources, but, as usual, basic general business information, not entertainment busienss resources or information.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2749 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, letís say I see you do something that works well and I really like it. Later if someone asks me about the same thing you did, is it now not a good thing because it wasnít me the one that did it.

No It Is Not Always About Having Experience. And I'm not saying experience is a bad thing, just that it's not always needed like you like to claim.

Knowledge is the accumulation of facts and data that you have learned about or experienced. Itís being aware of something, and having information. Knowledge is really about facts and ideas that we acquire through study, research, investigation, observation, OR experience.

So now you can stop your experience bickering.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9964 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Can you stop responding to every post someone makes? Give it a break!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2749 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
Can you stop responding to every post someone makes? Give it a break!


That's hard to do when you and Danny keeps pulling me back in it.


I posted about free ads because I felt like things had settled down enough for me to actually post something worthwhile without having to beat you and Danny off my back. I was hoping others could add something too.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20325 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:
Danny, letís say I see you do something that works well and I really like it. Later if someone asks me about the same thing you did, is it now not a good thing because it wasnít me the one that did it.

No It Is Not Always About Having Experience. And I'm not saying experience is a bad thing, just that it's not always needed like you like to claim.

Knowledge is the accumulation of facts and data that you have learned about or experienced. Itís being aware of something, and having information. Knowledge is really about facts and ideas that we acquire through study, research, investigation, observation, OR experience.

So now you can stop your experience bickering.

Tom

I was just telling my Orthopedic surgeon the same thing. HILARIOUS and spoken like someone with NO experience at ALL. Why have teachers? Or schools for that matter? Oh my lord that is the most hilarious thing I have read in a while.

So when you hire a marketing company you look for one with no experience right? YOU are the one bloviating about small towns and how you have to live in one to understand how they work and now you contradict that DIRECTLY!

I watched a LOT of video of Ted Williams. I have yet to be able to hit .400 in Major League Baseball.

No Tom it is not about collecting facts. Because touring a show is not about facts. It is however about the nuances. THOSE are what you miss when you have NO EXPERIENCE. Again get back to my building example. Would you have the least experienced builder do it for you? A guy who read a lot about it and who has a lot of basic facts but no experience?

Thomas I bet can testify to the amount of nuance learned every time. I KNOW this because he said he gets more seats sold every time.

Tom if experience didn't matter then nobody would ever improve at ANYTHING. HILARIOUS is the only word I can use to describe this position you have taken. AND IT IS THIS position that you are using to disrupt every thread in this section.

My lord please stop. Nobody keeps pulling you back in. Take ownership of your own behavior. You are desperate to be relevant. I am happy to see you show everyone what experience means to you.

Oh and it was Thomas who directly contradicted your post on free stuff. I will say free advertising is worth every penny you pay for it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2749 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I never said you don't need experience. I said experince can come from many sources.

NO Thomas said you shouldn't rule out all free ads, but that it alone was not enough and I agreed with him.

No you canít play ball like Ted Williams, just because you watched him play, but the things you learned from him would
be facts that you could share with others. Wouldnít it? Or would all that information be worthless?

See how you twist things Danny


Tom

PS, But I have personally done shows making thousands of dollars without spending one penny on ads. So I know a little about free ads. Maybe later we all can talk.
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Tricky business Ľ Ľ Help with Traveling Show (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL