The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Help with Traveling Show (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If all goes well I'll be able to STOP doing traveling shows!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Good luck to both of you.

I just did a lunch meeting for the JB Duke Hotel, which is the hotel on the Duke campus. They loved it and will also be having me for an award banquet. They also asked me if I was interested in a residency (they didn't call it that, but it is one and the same.) Hoo! The residency will probably be on Wednesdays, which leaves Friday and Saturday open for other residencies.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Oh that’s awesome!
magidave
View Profile
New user
Omaha, Nebraska
71 Posts

Profile of magidave
Go for it KC!
Dave Arch
http://OmahaMagician.com
Lybrary Author Page: https://bit.ly/2ow1Onb
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Thanks, guys. It looks like I may get the same deal with the Rizzo Hotel in Chapel Hill. Crossing my fingers.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, thomasR wrote:

I've honestly never heard anyone other than magicians use the term "4-wall."

In the recent Eddie Murphy movie Dolemite Is My Name they discuss 4-walling from back in his days from the '70s. Besides a standard for comedy for 5 or 6 generations, it was also used by underground or "off-color" humourists, and if you study the film industry you will find 4-walling everywhere from the early Warner Brothers and many studios before getting a distribution deal, to even the adult industry with Deep Through and the Mitchel Brothers with Behind the Green Door (also a get bio-pic with Charlie Sheen and Emilio Esteves.)

With just a little research you will find it dates back at least 100 years through multiple areas of the entertainemnt busiess. Circus and carnivals as well.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, thomasR wrote:

I've honestly never heard anyone other than magicians use the term "4-wall."

In the recent Eddie Murphy movie Dolemite Is My Name they discuss 4-walling from back in his days from the '70s. Besides a standard for comedy for 5 or 6 generations, it was also used by underground or "off-color" humourists, and if you study the film industry you will find 4-walling everywhere from the early Warner Brothers and many studios before getting a distribution deal, to even the adult industry with Deep Through and the Mitchel Brothers with Behind the Green Door (also a get bio-pic with Charlie Sheen and Emilio Esteves.)

With just a little research you will find it dates back at least 100 years through multiple areas of the entertainemnt busiess. Circus and carnivals as well.

Interesting. While I haven't studied much about film, comedy clubs or carnivals I have researched circus quite a bit. Now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I have read the term somewhere non-magic related.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
For better or worse I’m giving it a go this year! I have 3 theaters booked. By the way the booking process was as easy as it’s ever been for me. Emailed theaters asking about rates and availability, got responses, asked to book the dates and sent in the contracts / deposits. Picked out some nice approx. 300 seat theaters that will allow me to do a “theatre” show but won’t look empty if it’s only about 100 people per show (close off the balcony and that will comfortably fill the floor.)

I’ll let you know how things turn out.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Best of luck to you thomasR!

Yes, I agree landlord deals are the easiest to land and can be done almost anywhere at any time. I do hope you share your journey here. Is this a magic show?
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Thanks!

Yes indeed it is a magic show! Which is both exciting and scary.

Renting the theatre is easy.... filling the seats is the hard part right!?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Absolutely! Ticket sales are an art and science unknown by many. Most just think 1. put tickets on sale and 2. promote sales.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2020, Mindpro wrote:
Absolutely! Ticket sales are an art and science unknown by many. Most just think 1. put tickets on sale and 2. promote sales.

I can assure you it's not that easy! So far Facebook Ads are seeing results, which is good.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
That's good. How have the shows been going?
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I'll let you know when they start up - still just in pre-sales.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Well.... shows were supposed to start this week. I sure know how to plan!!!!
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
What I learned (I guess this ended up being a really expensive marketing test....)

Facebook ads work. I loved being able to track which ads sold tickets thanks to the Facebook “pixel”
The more money I spent on Facebook ads the more tickets sold. Simple as that.

Digital billboards - I tried digital billboards for the first time, the design looked great but I didn’t see great results. Location was good, design was good.

Have higher priced “golden circle” tickets- I’ve said this before but charge extra for the first couple rows of seats- people will pay. Especially on Friday nights show (which I just refunded order by order) I had a large number of “golden circle” tickets.

Price your show so you can discount it and sell it for half off on gold star. Gold star spends a lot on marketing and they have lots of specials.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2020, thomasR wrote:

Price your show so you can discount it and sell it for half off on gold star. Gold star spends a lot on marketing and they have lots of specials.

This is the exact opposite of everything I've ever done. Once people know they can get discount tickets you will never sell a full price ticket again.

It is reflex to do so when you start but I think it is a trap.

Comedy clubs did it for decades. Paper the room and sell drinks. Great formula until three drink business went south and they tried to make money selling tickets and never could.

It confuses your value when you intentionally discount like this. Ask any show in Branson because THIS is the formula that has killed that town. Pidgeon Forge as well.

I would recommend knowing your value and getting that value.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I mean it’s a model that everyone uses... Vegas, Broadway, etc.

I was advertising on gold star in the Atlanta area and even Hamilton was on Goldstar. Of course the discounted Hamilton tickets were still $100... but they were using goldstar to fill in the extreme sides.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea most Broadway doesn't use this. Certainty not first run.

Most really successful shoes don't use this system.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2020, Dannydoyle wrote:
This is the exact opposite of everything I've ever done. Once people know they can get discount tickets you will never sell a full price ticket again.
It confuses your value when you intentionally discount like this. Ask any show in Branson because THIS is the formula that has killed that town. Pigeon Forge as well.

I agree with both of these sentiments as well. The business model and approach thomasR speaks of may be a possibility for a one-and-done types of events, but certainly not for multiple dates, a run or residency as in Branon, Vegas, Pigeon Forge, etc. This would be a disaster, a lot of work and expense and little or likely no return.

I also don't agree that this is the model that everyone uses... Vegas, Broadway, etc. Not at all. I don't know why you would think this.

I'm glad you feel FB ads, digital billboards and discount tickets worked for you. I would not use these as my primary sources of promotion. Perhaps way down the line just for supplemental sources if allowed by budget. FB ads perhaps if properly targeted and done well.

So sorry the timing of your shows aligned with everything that is going on right now. It just made a risky situation or possibly even worse.

Other than attempting to sell poor view seats or a large number of guaranteed sales, I would never use discounted tickets or papering.

Was your primary source of income from ticket sales?

Did you cancel the event or did the venue? Did you get a refund from the venue?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Help with Traveling Show (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL