The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Code (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ravenspur
View Profile
Regular user
Granby, MA
120 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
I've seen some magicians who use code with a partner or assistant. Can anyone recommend some sources or give advice on learning this? The Lybrary has some stuff, but I'm not sure what's dated, what's good, and if anyone uses this kind of thing.

Thanks.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5190 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I really like Speakeasy by Dan Harlan. Very easy to learn, in fact, it can be taught to a stranger the day of a performance.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2566
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Russo
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Russo
There's a great comedy routine using codes - like ,holding up a watch and asking "this TIME what am I holding " -"lets SEE, what am I holding" - eyeglasses - "don't let me STICk you with this" - a pin - etc -sorry, I cant find the routine now (what do you expect at 82- ha ha)- if I do -or- maybe some knows it - lets share - guys

' ' '
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1704 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
My first suggestion is to check the relevant chapter in Corinda.

Once you know exactly what you want to communicate, you will be able to figure out how complex you need the code to be. Can you reduce the apparently free range of options to a list of 5 without compromising the look of it? If so, you only need to disguise 5 code options. Do you want total freedom for what you encode? Be prepared for a lot more complexity.

Speakeasy is a fairly limited and very simple code. The real value is seeing the range of potential applications Dan Harlan came up with.

Falkenstein and Willard detail their code on one of their L&L dvds. Much more robust, but at times the language becomes a little odd in order to encode certain things. Still, they did names, dates, information that is not practical with Speakeasy.

I haven’t actually worked out a code act (my wife is pretty busy in real life, as I am), but I do think Morse code could form an excellent foundation for a code.

Hand signs, how you point a foot, a sniff or cough in a significant place, all these could be worked in.

The real question is how much code do you really need?

Patrick
Russo
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Russo
Falkenstein - heven't heard about him in over 50 years= we worked together in a Wax Musium on Hollywood blvd.Calif. and he worked for/with me on a Show my wife and I had . Ralph(russo)Rousseau
Ravenspur
View Profile
Regular user
Granby, MA
120 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
Thanks guys.

I was really more curious about coding than doing an act. I have a guy at work interested in magic, and my wife might work with me in informal situations.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1704 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
For informal situations, I’d steer you to Morse code (tapping a foot under a table works) and to Speakeasy. Being able to remember the code is vital and Harlan did a great job on that project. It is, as I said, limited in range, but adaptable to a lot of applications.

Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Code (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL