The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Taken by The Other Brothers (78 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Mr. Dural
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of Mr. Dural
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, MitchellK wrote:
This does seem very intriguing. There's a small snippet in the trailer where they hand him the envelope stack. so they keep hold of their envelope at all times. seems interesting - a hands off shaxon that seems examin-able. It looks as if this is a shippable product... so they send props to make? I guess the envelopes which you tweak. I'd be interested to know if this can be made with other envelopes or if the ones supplied are somehow gaffed. If so, will refills be available? envelopes aren't particularly durable.

Yes, as I said its hands off. They pull it out and put it into their pocket. They cannot open the envelope or go "CSI" on it (if they did then you need to work on your audience management).
You should be able to buy what you need from a stationery store and make up the gimmick. there is nothing "fancy" required.
no2ss
View Profile
Veteran user
California
366 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, Mr. Dural wrote:
That part is true...They can write the info across the street but you only get the info after they have taken their envelope and put it in their pocket and have you the rest back, as per the demo (0:36 to :040)

Do not expect a real time impression like a M**DB**STER pad

This is super helpful and explains a lot (including the Scott Creasey comparison...). Does this require the gimmicks they send? You say these can be made up by yourself easily enough -- does that apply to all different sized envelopes? Is whatever they send more or less a "sample" gimmick? Or is it providing something necessary to make them yourself?
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8053 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, Martin Duffy wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 21, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Assuming it’s electronics of sorts.

Hardly...it's $30

Thicker than a whale omelette springs to mind.
no2ss
View Profile
Veteran user
California
366 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:

You should be able to buy what you need from a stationery store and make up the gimmick. there is nothing "fancy" required.

I'm kind of curious, if this is the case, why this isn't just offered as a download?
Mr. Dural
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of Mr. Dural
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, no2ss wrote:
Quote:
That part is true...They can write the info across the street but you only get the info after they have taken their envelope and put it in their pocket and have you the rest back, as per the demo (0:36 to :040)

This is super helpful and explains a lot (including the Scott Creasey comparison...). Does this require the gimmicks they send? You say these can be made up by yourself easily enough -- does that apply to all different sized envelopes? Is whatever they send more or less a "sample" gimmick? Or is it providing something necessary to make them yourself?

From the video it looks like you get a sample made up to play with plus some extras to make your own . They actually make one up in the video so you can follow along. I suppose it could be adapted to envelopes a bit bigger but the business card size seems to be the best as its a close up tool.
There is nothing fancy required.

As for why it isn't just a download ?
The DIY will take about 10 minutes to do. Its not difficult but not as easy as cutting a window into an envelope. The sample would be handy to get the feel of it.
no2ss
View Profile
Veteran user
California
366 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Thanks, Mr. Dural. Very helpful.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1944 Posts

Profile of 252life
Thx for the info Mr. Dural. Very helpful and much appreciated.

That trailer is useless.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1496 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:

Thank you very much. Exactly as I suspected. I wish I had been there when they made up the ad.

Bro: "How can we sell this to more people than we really should?"
Other Bro: "Let's tell them this allows them to perform the best trick in magic and mentalism, they can get the info hands off AND from a mile away."
Bro: "Huh? Why would you make a spectator walk a mile, write something on the top quarter of a business card and then have them walk a mile back to you?"
Other Bro: "Eh... excercise is good."
Bro: "Ok."
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Josh Burch
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Quick info :

I don't know about " miracle of the highest magnitude" but its very good. It's reminds me of something Scott Creasy would do. I believe Docc Hilford had a similar idea with an envelope.
I would describe it as an hand-off Shaxton .

PROS :

•You can make the gimmick yourself cheaply (DIY Time : 10 minutes, regular stationery needed)
• its hands off, the spectator is doing all the work (This is the attribute that sets it apart from predecessors)
• It improves (in my opinion) the shaxton envelope mainly because of the hand-off-ness.

CONS
• They cannot retrieve the card from the envelope after the trick (you can fix this after the performance)
• They cant write more than on the top quarter of the card. (with some re-engineering this could be more)

USES :

• Well just about any mentalism that requires someone writing a small piece of info on a card and sealing it. With some thinking it could be used for 4DT, a one-on-one Q&A, Phedon's Sybil (for the name part), pin code divination etc.
I would give it 8.5 /10 . I would keep this in my wallet for those times I don't have an impression device on me.

Thanks so much, Mr Dural! Can you tell us more about that "They could fill out the card a mile away and you'd still have the information"?

The envelope is placed on the top of a pile of envelopes, they place the card inside and take the envelope with them. You need to have the stack of envelopes in order to know their thought. They can fill it out a mile away, of course, but they need to get the stack of envelopes back to you, then they can return to their position a mile away. Not a super useful quality.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1251 Posts

Profile of Jared
Thanks for the summary Mr. Dural, but now the bigger question...How do you actually READ the written information without having to turn your back on the audience or drop a pencil under a table? With 4DT and the use of the Shaxton envelope, the action is motivated within the framework of the routine. Could this be done similarly?
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1496 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, Josh Burch wrote:
n the top of a pile of envelopes, they place the card inside and take the envelope with them. You need to have the stack of envelopes in order to know their thought. They can fill it out a mile away, of course, but they need to get the stack of envelopes back to you, then they can return to their position a mile away. Not a super useful quality.

Yeah, I got that (see my earlier post). Thanks anyway, appreciate it!
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Mr. Dural
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of Mr. Dural
The demo, like all demos is meant to get you curious. They do say " the spectator hand delivers you the info " before the "mile away" line. I doubt that a "mile away" was meant to be taken literally.
I can see how it can be misconstrued but if you watched the demo closely you would see that he gets the stack back first.

I will say this much, it is a very, very good tool. How many other envelopes do you know of where you don't have to touch it after the spectator has written information ?
Mr. Dural
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of Mr. Dural
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, Jared wrote:
Thanks for the summary Mr. Dural, but now the bigger question...How do you actually READ the written information without having to turn your back on the audience or drop a pencil under a table? With 4DT and the use of the Shaxton envelope, the action is motivated within the framework of the routine. Could this be done similarly?

You can get the information easier/faster than you would with a regular Shaxton. The peek can be so quick that it would be more like a sleight than overt action motivated within the construct of a routine.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1496 Posts

Quote:
The demo, like all demos is meant to get you curious. They do say " the spectator hand delivers you the info " before the "mile away" line. I doubt that a "mile away" was meant to be taken literally.
I can see how it can be misconstrued but if you watched the demo closely you would see that he gets the stack back first.

I will say this much, it is a very, very good tool. How many other envelopes do you know of where you don't have to touch it after the spectator has written information ?

It seems to be a nice tool indeed. But I'd say there's a big difference between getting people interested and flat out overpromising & underdelivering. Why not stick to the facts? If you want to create a sustainable relationship with your customers, that is ... .
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1944 Posts

Profile of 252life
Thx to Mr Dural I may take the plunge.
But I’ve never ended up actually using anything from the Brothers historically.
I like them, but I’ve been underwhelmed in the past.
This has my attention though, so thanks yet again Mr Dural Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Mr. Dural
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of Mr. Dural
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, 252life wrote:
Thx to Mr Dural I may take the plunge.
But I’ve never ended up actually using anything from the Brothers historically.
I like them, but I’ve been underwhelmed in the past.
This has my attention though, so thanks yet again Mr Dural Smile

I think you will like it. There is a lot of routines you own (yes, I am watching you) that you can easily adapt this for.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18695 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I'm more concerned that you can only write on one quarter of the card (if I read Mr. Dural's comment correctly that is)…

if its limited to that, then I'd stick with A.N. and get what I need as I put it in an envelope and give it to them to seal and keep...
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1069 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Crazy Cube anyone?
Josh Burch
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, Jared wrote:

The peek Daryl uses doesn't have too much shade. He asks them to do something and then he peeks the info. It's not super clever but it works, and flies by in performance.
Josh Burch
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, IAIN wrote:
I'm more concerned that you can only write on one quarter of the card (if I read Mr. Dural's comment correctly that is)…

You only can peek a quarter of the card that's true. You may be able to see as much as a full half of the card. This is the case of cours with other methods such as the center tear, and Acidus Novus.

The thing that sets this apart is that the participant writes the information down, they place it in the envelope, they seal it, and they place it in their pocket (or I'd prefer to have them burn it). They give the envelopes and the pen back to you and you have access to their information. I think if you need to turn your back as they burn their thought, or as you go to put the pen and envelopes in your case it's covered well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Taken by The Other Brothers (78 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL