The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Taken by The Other Brothers (78 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
I showed underlooked ( envelope version ) to some mates at the magic circle dealers day on Saturday just gone and it literally blew them away . They had no clue whatsoever , clean as a whistle Gaz 🙂

I’m going to give it a second look thx.
Underlooked has a nice and justified flow to it, it’s fun to do.
I’m liking it more all the time.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Christian de Punto
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
174 Posts

Profile of Christian de Punto
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, Mr. Dural wrote:
Hi,

Quick info :

I don't know about " miracle of the highest magnitude" but its very good. It's reminds me of something Scott Creasy would do. I believe Docc Hilford had a similar idea with an envelope.
I would describe it as an hand-off Shaxton .

PROS :

•You can make the gimmick yourself cheaply (DIY Time : 10 minutes, regular stationery needed)
• its hands off, the spectator is doing all the work (This is the attribute that sets it apart from predecessors)
• It improves (in my opinion) the shaxton envelope mainly because of the hand-off-ness.

CONS
• They cannot retrieve the card from the envelope after the trick (you can fix this after the performance)
• They cant write more than on the top quarter of the card. (with some re-engineering this could be more)

USES :

• Well just about any mentalism that requires someone writing a small piece of info on a card and sealing it. With some thinking it could be used for 4DT, a one-on-one Q&A, Phedon's Sybil (for the name part), pin code divination etc.
I would give it 8.5 /10 . I would keep this in my wallet for those times I don't have an impression device on me.

so many unlogic things in taken....
first: why I give a bunch of envelopes to a spectator to put a note in one and give me back the rest? I could just give him one. and I have the risk, that he might want to use another one (if he has all in his hand).
second: writing down what I want to read mind later makes just sense, if I have a proof for the other spectators later... but seems the envelope cannot be opened later... so?????
to unlogic... sorry, I m out ;-)
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
142 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, Christian de Punto wrote:

first: why I give a bunch of envelopes to a spectator to put a note in one and give me back the rest? I could just give him one. and I have the risk, that he might want to use another one (if he has all in his hand).
second: writing down what I want to read mind later makes just sense, if I have a proof for the other spectators later... but seems the envelope cannot be opened later... so?????

It's even worse: what if the spectator puts down the stack of envelopes since he or she only needs one? I mean, if somebody handed me a stack of envelopes and asked me to write something on a piece of paper resting on top of the stack, I might put the envelopes I don't need on a table or perhaps return it to the person who gave it to me. What then? If the magician insisted on keeping the stack or even fishier under all circumstances keeping the stack under the piece of paper they're writing on, everything's clear in my opinion and the effect is gone for good.

I also don't get it how this is not an impression device though the complete handling cries impression device. If this isn't an impression device, why would we need the stack of envelopes beneath the one the spectator actually uses and why would the magician obtain the information the spectator had written down from the stack beneath the piece of paper the spectator used?

Any chance that the creators of magic items, effects and devices spare the magic community unspeakable and misleading promo clips like this one in the very near future? I just don't get it why we can't be open with each other instead of disgruntling fellow magicians with delusive advertising.

No offence to The Other Brothers as I really like their creative minds; I just don't get it.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I don't get the logic either...especially if you already use Jermay's version of a shaxon... in fact, this sounds a step back because it takes ten minutes to make this? and you get a full p**k with the Jermay set up....( I realise this won't be the first time that the Jermay one has been "re-invented" though)...
I've asked to be banned
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
There are now multiple, very clean, quick and easy ways to get a full card p**k. From what's been written so far in this thread, Taken sounds like it does not really provide a better, cleaner or more useful way to get a p**k. Different, perhaps, but not does sound like an improvement over existing methods, to me anyway.

I continue to get more minimalist as I age. With just a stack of business cards, or double blank cards, there are many excellent ways to get a p**k. If you play around with existing methods long enough, you will figure out ways to have the spectator put their card in an ungimmicked envelope and keep it. End clean, nothing to find.

The Covert Peek uses a single, ungimmicked envelope. Either the mind reader or the spectator can put the folded card in the envelope, and the spectator can put the envelope in their pocket and keep it. I don't see how Taken is an improvement over that.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
And if we are talking about clarity and a straight line for a presentation, then a single envelope and an imp pad will always win for me. Everything has a logic and simplicity. And everyone does what regular people do with those items.
I've asked to be banned
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Totally agree with both Iain and Stunninger’s posts on this thread . Best wishes Gaz 🙂
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2706 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Although I would love to see a mentalist let a spectator walk a mile and back to write a name, I also have to agree.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, IAIN wrote:
And if we are talking about clarity and a straight line for a presentation, then a single envelope and an imp pad will always win for me. Everything has a logic and simplicity. And everyone does what regular people do with those items.

It’s thinking like this that makes me feel good about doing mentalism for as long as I have. A single envelope is exactly what I would use if I were using envelopes. I understand that having more envelopes will hide the thought of only needing one. However.....Simplicity is a magicians best friend. And carrying around something that is a little bulky imo to get the results I’m looking for just isn’t for me.
I’m aware of how “ taken “ is done, and I can’t for the life of me think of anything I currently use to gain information, being replaced by “ taken “. But.... if you like to just enjoy collecting magic, then this may be for those that do.
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
The demo, like all demos is meant to get you curious. They do say " the spectator hand delivers you the info " before the "mile away" line. I doubt that a "mile away" was meant to be taken literally.
I can see how it can be misconstrued but if you watched the demo closely you would see that he gets the stack back first.

I will say this much, it is a very, very good tool. How many other envelopes do you know of where you don't have to touch it after the spectator has written information ?

The Mati Envelope can do that !
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, Christian de Punto wrote:

I agree, not being able to open the envelope as proof and revelation is quite a let down. And why give them a whole stack of envelopes in hand? A stack that is awkwardly held together by a tight rubber band?
It's really a pity but I have to confess that I was pretty disappointed by the brothers' new realease this time (loved most of their other stuff, though).
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Quote:
especially if you already use Jermay's version of a shaxon...

Don’t tell e’rbody IAIN!

🤫
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, ArtIn wrote:
Quote:
The demo, like all demos is meant to get you curious. They do say " the spectator hand delivers you the info " before the "mile away" line. I doubt that a "mile away" was meant to be taken literally.
I can see how it can be misconstrued but if you watched the demo closely you would see that he gets the stack back first.

I will say this much, it is a very, very good tool. How many other envelopes do you know of where you don't have to touch it after the spectator has written information ?

The Mati Envelope can do that !

Thanks for the plug!
Yes, you're right about the properties of the "Mati Envelope" in which the spectator opens the envelope herself at the end, taking out her card. Also, performer never touches the paper and the spectator himself seals the envelope shut.

But let's keep this thread about Taken please.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Taken wants to mime mentalism and offer a way to mindreading but honestly lags credibility.
It’s not just about a stack of tied up envelopes and illogical handlings but also about some strange hints that are given:
Leaving the dirty envelope with your spectator should be no option.
Its also not recommended to follow a (strong) mindreading sequence with a card reveal. Why would you do that?
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
They should have named it You Got Taken

-Theodore Annemann
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2019, 252life wrote:

Anyone who is still buying their products, well, it’s their own fault.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
[quote]On Oct 27, 2019, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2019, 252life wrote:

Anyone who is still buying their products, well, it’s their own fault.

Guilty as charged. Hopefully this time I learned my lesson.

-Theodore Annemann
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
I don't get the logic either...especially if you already use Jermay's version of a shaxon... in fact, this sounds a step back because it takes ten minutes to make this? and you get a full p**k with the Jermay set up....( I realise this won't be the first time that the Jermay one has been "re-invented" though)...

What is the name of Jermay's.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Can't remember, it's been a while...
I've asked to be banned
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
When this can be done without the card, envelope, having to write anything down, or having to hand something back to the performer, let me know.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Taken by The Other Brothers (78 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL