The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Taken by The Other Brothers (78 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3580 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
When that day comes people will just think you are using a stooge anyway , you can’t win Gaz 😂😂
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1547 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
When this can be done without the card, envelope, having to write anything down, or having to hand something back to the performer, let me know.

You mean getting info by waterboarding?
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2087 Posts

Profile of 252life
Set fire to about $35, when they go to put it out, you get the p**k
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1547 Posts

LOL
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2087 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
When this can be done without the card, envelope, having to write anything down, or having to hand something back to the performer, let me know.

You mean getting info by waterboarding?

“Good evening ladies and gentlemen,
for my first demonstration I will need a magician from the audience to assist me...”

-Theodore Annemann
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1547 Posts

“... ah, thank you for joining me on stage, Sir. I believe you are known at the Magic Café as “Mind Pro”? Well, after you’ve written down the names of the famous artists nobody believes you helped, I would like you to lie down under that tap and answer some questions from Robb...”
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2087 Posts

Profile of 252life
Ugh! I knew I forgot something at the supermarket today!

Popcorn Smile

-Theodore Annemann
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1547 Posts

I got some! We can share! Or wait... am I expected to enter the Octagon with Robb and Mindpro now? Smile
Mr. Dural
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Mr. Dural
Hmm,

I don't know if a lot of this criticism is just jumping on the bandwagon (something unheard of in the Café). The Shaxton envelope (and luke Jermay's version) also use a stack of envelopes. They also leave the participant with a dirty envelope that the spectator cannot open and retrieve the info. In both those versions the magician has to hold the stack himself.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18810 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Mr dural, that was kinda my point. What does this release do differently and better than the jermay shaxonless set up?

So it's not that it's rubbish, I'm concerned about originality, differences and improvements etc
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of dyoung
I think the idea of them doing the work for you is interesting. However, having a stack with a card sticking out ever so slightly for them to write something down, is a bit weird.

Also in Luke's routine they are not left with that envelope, his routine is brilliantly structured.

All the best,
Dan
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3580 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
That’s why underlooked is so great imo Gaz 🙂
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
1547 Posts

I agree. Underlooked is a gem.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1711 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2019, Mr. Dural wrote:
Hmm,

I don't know if a lot of this criticism is just jumping on the bandwagon (something unheard of in the Café). The Shaxton envelope (and luke Jermay's version) also use a stack of envelopes. They also leave the participant with a dirty envelope that the spectator cannot open and retrieve the info. In both those versions the magician has to hold the stack himself.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned the Couvert Peek, which uses a single ungimmicked envelope and card, and either the mind reader or spectator can put the card in the envelope, which the spectator can hold and keep, ending completely clean. I don't see how Taken offers any benefit over that. Rather, it seems like a step back in several ways.

Also mentioned there are several business card peeks that are excellent and do not require an envelope at all, but did not name them. They are: Underhanded, Underlooked, Godspeed and the peek taught in Humint.

I'm always interested in hearing about new approaches. You never know when something new will come along that offers a better way than existing methods. From what I've read about Taken, it does not offer a better way, in my opinion anyway.
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
462 Posts

Profile of Bambu
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2019, Stunninger wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2019, Mr. Dural wrote:
Hmm,

Earlier in this thread I mentioned the Couvert Peek, which uses a single ungimmicked envelope and card, and either the mind reader or spectator can put the card in the envelope, which the spectator can hold and keep, ending completely clean. I don't see how Taken offers any benefit over that. Rather, it seems like a step back in several ways.

Also mentioned there are several business card peeks that are excellent and do not require an envelope at all, but did not name them. They are: Underhanded, Underlooked, Godspeed and the peek taught in Humint.

I'm always interested in hearing about new approaches. You never know when something new will come along that offers a better way than existing methods. From what I've read about Taken, it does not offer a better way, in my opinion anyway.

Check Banache's Picture Duplication and Number Duplication peeks.
Full peek with plain business cards, one step, not folding and not envelops.
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
I'm waiting for someone to review it on Penguin. Till the reviews come in I'll set out.
Josh Burch
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
Wow, that was a tangent guys. Honestly Taken isn't my thing but after discussing it in depth with a bunch of great magicians I believe that much of this discussion is confusing.

What is the logic?

Well, in a 4DT presentation the logic is that you need a bunch of people to fill things out and place them in envelopes.

In a roulette routine, you could place a bill in the top envelope and have a bunch of dummy envelopes (from the stack) mixed in with it.

Which is more natural? Walking up to someone with a single envelope or a stack of envelopes? If you want to do it casually for friends (which is how most of us will do this anyway) it looks MUCH more casual to walk into your office and pull out a stack of envelopes than it does to pull one out. That could easily be how you keep your envelopes!

This might not be for you but it's not trash guys.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3580 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Pulling out one envelope is 100 times more natural than pulling out a bunch of envelopes imo in any situation for a one spectator routine Gaz 🙂
Josh Burch
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2019, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Pulling out one envelope is 100 times more natural than pulling out a bunch of envelopes imo in any situation for a one spectator routine Gaz 🙂

I don't think a stack of envelopes are at all out of place in almost any situation you would use an envelope in. In a casual environment like at home, it doesn't seem out of place at all to reach into a junk drawer and pull out a stack of envelopes. Lots of people keep envelopes stowed away in a drawer, and to have a stack wrapped in a rubber band seems completely natural.

In my eyes, pulling out a single envelope is like pulling out a single crayon from the junk drawer. You could have just grabbed the whole box right? Who keeps just one envelope in their drawer? Most people have a few envelopes at home and they keep them with the other envelopes.

One envelope seems more suspect to me as well. Let's imagine you have a gaffed quarter. Is it more suspect to pull out the quarter and perform magic with it by itself? Or is it more suspect to pull out the gimmicked coin among a handful of normal coins? I think most would agree that the second scenario seems more fair. I think the same logic could be applied to envelopes, cards or other objects.

I'm suprised that there is an issue at all with a stack of envelopes. This is a common tool in mentalism. There is a lot in the literature that covers stacks of envelopes. Marc Paul, Bob Cassidy, Luke Jermay and many many others have lots of work with stacks of envelopes. It seems like a wierd thing to be hung up on in my eyes.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3580 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Ok so I have a prediction in my top breast pocket of a thought of card . Bringing out a full deck and saying it’s in here is better than producing the one single matched card ? I think not .You maybe correct if you are performing in your office in your day to day job and pulling envelopes from a drawer but at a magic gig it’s far stronger to have one envelope laid on the line with one prediction in it as it because impossible to a layman imho Gaz 🙂
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Taken by The Other Brothers (78 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL