The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Taken by The Other Brothers (76 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
dyoung
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of dyoung
I don't even think the stack is the weird part. It's handing them that stack with a business card sticking out of it ever so slightly, so that they can write something on it that's weird.

all the best,
Dan
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1412 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
I agree handing one person a stack of envelopes feels unnatural. If you had a stack of envelopes, wouldn't you remove one and hand it to them? That's what I would do, anyway.

I guess you might hand someone several envelopes and ask them to pick one - if that were part of the routine, and the one they choose was important, like a bank night or something. But that's not the case here. You might hand someone a box of crayons if you wanted them to choose among the different colors. But if you had a bunch of pens that were all the same, you would only hand the person one pen.

This said, there are all kinds of illogical and unnatural steps that occur in some routines, and if the performer is congruent it may go unnoticed.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1632 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2019, The Unmasked Magician wrote:
I got some! We can share! Or wait... am I expected to enter the Octagon with Robb and Mindpro now? Smile

Well, gotta admit I was hoping lol.
It’s Halloween, pass the candy popcorn instead:)
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7511 Posts

Profile of pegasus
This can be done a mile away. Haven’t you remembered this very impressive point?
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1632 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2019, pegasus wrote:
This can be done a mile away. Haven’t you remembered this very impressive point?

Can be done over the phone even!
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Josh Burch
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2019, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Ok so I have a prediction in my top breast pocket of a thought of card. Bringing out a full deck and saying it’s in here is better than producing the one single matched card ? I think not.

This is not a prediction effect, but if I humor your example a full deck of the same card is likley much stronger than a single card prediction. If you name the two of spades and I open the deck and all I have is the two of spades that is very powerful.

Quote:
On Oct 31, 2019, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
You maybe correct if you are performing in your office in your day to day job and pulling envelopes from a drawer but at a magic gig it’s far stronger to have one envelope laid on the line with one prediction in it as it because impossible to a layman imho Gaz 🙂

Perhaps you and I might use this in a gig, but the vast majority of magic purchasers are amateurs. That is almost certainly the case for this product. Even for professionals, we still have a long precedent of the best professionals in the business using stacks of envelopes all the tims.

Quote:
On Oct 31, 2019, dyoung wrote:
I don't even think the stack is the weird part. It's handing them that stack with a business card sticking out of it ever so slightly, so that they can write something on it that's weird.

all the best,
Dan

You have a point, this is a little strange. It could easily be covered in performance though. Or the magician could draw a line on the card for them to write on and then place it in the envelope themselves.

Quote:
On Oct 31, 2019, Stunninger wrote:
This said, there are all kinds of illogical and unnatural steps that occur in some routines, and if the performer is congruent it may go unnoticed.

This is what gets me, it's not significantly more unnatural than anything else on the market. Personally I like Luke Jermay's handling of the flapless envelope but Taken gives the spectator more apparent control of their thought.

It feels like some of the comments here carry a slight implication that this is somehow unusable, and I really don't think it is. The ad copy is technically correct, just not all that advisable.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Special user
If only I didn't have a wife and kid I would have MUCH more than
973 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2019, Josh Burch wrote:
The ad copy is technically correct, just not all that advisable.

I honestly think we should stop giving creators a pass for this. It's not some sort of miscommunication or misunderstanding. They very deliberately make up these phrases. They know they imply more than is possible. They know people will be disappointed. It's just wrong.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about.
dyoung
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of dyoung
John Burch: You have to have the card sticking out like that, because of the method. Not just for limiting where they draw.

//Dan
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18244 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I'm sure it works...

But it's all about the pay off and compromise.

Any advantage this has is blown out the water because they can only write on a quarter. Before anyone mentions A.N. that has some very simple motivation to make that seem straightforward. In fact there's presentational angles you can use that exploits that feature.

So, what does this do that is better than the jermay method or using AN and a single envelope?

Is it more logical? Is it method wise a step forward? What makes it worth the $30?
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3042 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
If you are using envelopes in this scenario, the only truly logical justification is that you are introducing a test conditions element to proceedings -the envelope being an extra layer of protection for the written information. If the participant is not allowed to write cleanly on the billet at the start the test conditions element is completely negated.

As a coherent, logical sequence of events this routine -based on the description and the reviews- makes very little sense.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1412 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2019, IAIN wrote:
I'm sure it works...

But it's all about the pay off and compromise.

Any advantage this has is blown out the water because they can only write on a quarter. Before anyone mentions A.N. that has some very simple motivation to make that seem straightforward. In fact there's presentational angles you can use that exploits that feature.

So, what does this do that is better than the jermay method or using AN and a single envelope?

Is it more logical? Is it method wise a step forward? What makes it worth the $30?

Well said.
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
775 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
I picked it up... it is quite clever! This thing would totally rock If only one envelope was introduced vs. a stack. If you can justify the stack then this would most likely suit your style. They do include some useful tips on presentation. Although the video does show how to make the gimmick, they do include a ready made one in the package along with matching envelopes and number 19 rubber bands so you are ready to go and perform this immediately after learning the effect. For 30 bucks it can go a long way in the right hands. Thanks guys. Keep up the creativity!
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2596 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I don't think I want to use a stack of envelopes & rubberbands to perform a mind reading demonstration "makes No Sense" Use a peek wallet or a center tear just my opinion here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Taken by The Other Brothers (76 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL