The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » When a professional magician asked me to show them a trick... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike.Bonner
View Profile
New user
Gloucester, England
17 Posts

Profile of Mike.Bonner
Hey Everyone,

Last time I posted, I offered reflections on when I performed at a wedding. I was appreciative of everyone's comments and feedback.

So, for my birthday I bought myself a ticket to go to the magic circle in London (an exceptional treat). I had the most wonderful evening watching some incredible magicians, watching in awe of their skill not just mechanically, but most importantly in regards to the experience they gave to the audience. To see homage paid towards some master of magic (e.g. Vernon and Slydini), was truly wonderful.

The host of the evening, who I had some correspondence with after my fist visit there, introduced me to Michael Vincent! What an honour! Without boring you with the details of how it came about, the evening ended up with me sat in a restaurant with Michael Vincent and some others. During this time, I was asked by Michael to perform Twisting the Aces by Dai Vernon (at this stage I have only been practicing 11 months). So I began the routine, patter and all, and on the second phase COMPLETELY messed up the effect! My hands were shaking and I was a wreck. After this, I was met with loads of encouragement from him and the other magicians. They taught me so much about my technique, overcoming nerves and much more. They also jokingly commented on how unfair it was to ask me to perform. I remember Michael's words "Don't worry about twisting the aces, what impressed me more was your willingness to do it, character and guts is something not all magicians share. Well Done".

All in all, I had much embarrassment about the night, but it only spurred me on to continue practicing, to work hard and to enhance what I am learning and doing.

I am so grateful for not only their generosity in allowing me to spend time with them, but for their encouragement and grace with such a young magician. They did not need to have me along with them, but they did and were humble. I have learnt so many lessons and hope that you can all take something from this; whether it be to have confidence in yourself, or in regards to how we treat one another.

I wish you all well.

Kindest Regards,

Mike
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2849 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Enjoyed reading your post. Sounded like a great experience in many ways. The people you admired I'm sure had the same issues when they were newbies. Yes it's good to be kind and encouraging.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
TomB
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of TomB
I just joined an IBM ring and they had an amateur night. So people would go up and perform. At the end of the night, people could ask questions or even offer advice. They had professionals perform as well, and it was a real treat.

If you have a local magic club you will find like minded people. I am so glad I joined.
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
Michael Vincent seems like a really great guy. Even outside of magic. Would love to meet him someday.
Mike.Bonner
View Profile
New user
Gloucester, England
17 Posts

Profile of Mike.Bonner
If you are from the UK, Vanshing Inc has an event called The Session. Apparently, it is a good place to meet other magicians etc.
I know MV is a guest there in Jan 2020
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
Haha, jokes on you. I'm from the US of A.

Oh well...

Josh
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » When a professional magician asked me to show them a trick... (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL