The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Pre-holiday shopping (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, magicfish wrote:
I understand John Wayne Gacey has an impressive portfolio as well.

I hear street-art is the gateway to murder.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
It certainly can be, but not in this case from what I know. I do know however that financially supporting criminals is financially supporting criminals. So where do you draw the line Salk? At Vandals? Would you purchase art from those who knock down headstones? Arsonists? Terrorists? Murderers? What is your cut off point.
If its vandals that's fine. Just wondering.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
The People determine value. Some of the finest art treasures in the world are drawn on walls and ceilings or installed in public-squares. Art is far more subjective than council-approved curb appeal.

If you want to define vandalism as non-commissioned public-works, then yes I condone some vandalism.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I don't. I define it as the Oxford English Dictionary does:

action involving deliberate destruction of or damage to public or private property.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Society occasionally gives artists a pass for deliberately defacing public property.

I posit if the government and populace approve then it is not "damage".

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Keith Haring comes to mind.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Society occasionally gives artists a pass for deliberately defacing public property.

The government approves? Are you sure?
The populace approves? Are you sure?
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, magicfish wrote:
Quote:

The government approves? Are you sure?
The populace approves? Are you sure?

If you are still talking about Banksy, yes.
Tours of his destructive vandalism are very popular in London.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
London yes, and?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Southern fairies
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
London yes, and?

I don't know where you're going with this. If you don't appreciate Banksy's whimsical social-satire that's ok.
But it's a Londoner's cup of tea.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
Quote:
London yes, and?

I don't know where you're going with this. If you don't appreciate Banksy's whimsical social-satire that's ok.

Are you speaking on behalf of all 9 million of them officially or is this just your opinion?
And what about the other 60 million outside London?
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
London yes, and?

Are you speaking on behalf of all 9 million of them officially or is this just your opinion?
And what about the other 60 million outside London?

The locals speak on their own behalf. Neighborhoods set their own standards and they tolerate Banksy's vandalism.
Outsider opinions are not relevant.

Are you are aiming for a tangential conversation about the ethics of separation of Art and Artist?

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
So an Englishman who wants to take his family to visit the capital city has to be subjected to vandalism and graffiti?
His opinion is not relevant you say?
How dare you.
Every English citizen from the white cliffs of Dover to the Blackpool seaside to Cornwall to Newcastle has a relevant opinion on the state of his or her capital city.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
So an Englishman who wants to take his family to visit the capital city has to be subjected to vandalism and graffiti?
How dare you.
Every English citizen from the white cliffs of Dover to the Blackpool seaside to Cornwall to Newcastle has a relevant opinion on the state of his or her capital city.

A Human who wants to take his family to visit Virginia or the Louvre has to be subjected to art and statues they may find objectionable. His opinions are not relevant. I dare.
Art and Value are not terms that get to be defined by outsiders or majority-vote.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Art and Value are terms that get to be defined by insiders and the minority and they think it is vandalism and graffiti?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, tommy wrote:
Art and Value are terms that get to be defined by insiders and the minority and they think it is vandalism and graffiti?

This is a censorship-jurisdiction question: city/county/state/nation/globe

Who should decide if magicfish can read Salmon Rushdie, see a Banksy or listen to Lenny Bruce? Sure as shoot'n not Cornwall.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
Quote:
How dare you.

A Human who wants to take his family to visit Virginia or the Louvre has to be subjected to art and statues they may find objectionable. His opinions are not relevant. I dare.
Art and Value are not terms that get to be defined by outsiders or majority-vote.

Normally your posts are thought out better.
You conveniently left out the criminal element.
1. Going to the Louvre and seeing art you don't like has zero to do with going to London to see something other than art and seeing it covered with graffiti.
2. I don't think the art work at the Louvre was painted or sculpted during the commission of a crime.
3. If the locals around Washington D.C. decided to paint the Whitehouse, the Lincoln Memorial, The Washington Monument teal with chartreuse polka dots, would someone from Maine have a relevant opinion?
Maybe the Eiffel Tower should be painted camo. Hey, as long as the locals like it right?
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How dare you.

Normally your posts are thought out better.
You conveniently left out the criminal element.
1. Going to the Louvre and seeing art you don't like has zero to do with going to London to see something other than art and seeing it covered with graffiti.
2. I don't think the art work at the Louvre was painted or sculpted during the commission of a crime.
3. If the locals around Washington D.C. decided to paint the Whitehouse, the Lincoln Memorial, The Washington Monument teal with chartreuse polka dots, would someone from Maine have a relevant opinion?
Maybe the Eiffel Tower should be painted camo. Hey, as long as the locals like it right?

1. Seeing things that are unexpected or disagreeable in your home-town is one of the joys of travel.
2. The British Museum is essentially halls of stolen-antiquity from centuries of colonialism.
3. Local governments and the populace have every right to do what they like in their jurisdictions.

The Space Needle in Seattle:

As part of the celebration of its 50th anniversary, the Needle was painted "Galaxy Gold" in April 2012, the same color used when the needle was originally constructed for the 1962 World's Fair. This temporary makeover, intended to last through the summer, is not the Needle's first: it had the University of Washington (UW) Huskies football team logo painted after the team won the 1992 Rose Bowl, appeared as a giant "Wheel of Fortune" in 1995, was painted crimson after Washington State won the Apple Cup, and has been seen in Seattle SuperSonics colors.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Pre-holiday shopping (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL