The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Pre-holiday shopping (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Graffiti is illicitly scribbling on other people’s property and if the London police see you at it they will hit you with a big stick, whether you like it or not.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Precisely. As it should be.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
I like the links but I'd prefer a few points you agree/disagree.

David Lynch's films are ugly, stupid and vaguely threatening. His films are boring and express a generalized contempt for community, kindness, and the weak. How can leftists like this stuff? After all it is so blatantly hyper-masculine, aggressive and destructive of people’s desire for a decent environment. It is in fact proof that men are still in charge of the world.

I like Malcolm Gladwell books but the broken-window theory is debunked and proves no correlation to decrease in crime.

The majority of Americans can't name a single living fine Artist. Some might know one (Banksy).
If a mid-century wall was vandalized by criminals like Warhol, Dali or Picasso, it's likely the neighborhood wouldn't condone cracking skulls.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
If you go see a film, it is your choice. You may like it or dislike it.
But you chose to see a film.
If you go to see a building that is your choice, you may like it or dislike it. But that choice is taken away from you when a a criminal vandalizes that building or that wall or that tower.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
More criminals. Thanks for those examples Jon. Sounds like penalties need to be stiffened for stronger deterrence.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
The bull is a great example. I would love to see it and I'm sure the sculptor is/was proud to have it displayed. Some selfish vandal comes along and changes it to their liking.
It's against the law for a reason.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, magicfish wrote:
The bull is a great example. I would love to see it and I'm sure the sculptor is/was proud to have it displayed. Some selfish vandal comes along and changes it to their liking.
It's against the law for a reason.

Bull Story. <- "The sculpture was created by Sicilian artist Arturo Di Modica. On December 14, 1989 Di Modica arrived on Wall Street with Charging Bull on the back of a truck and illegally dropped the sculpture outside of the New York Stock Exchange."
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Perfect. Thanks Jon. Then what happened? Where does the vandalism come in?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

It's still not a commissioned or licensed work - and someone set a companion work next to it - which also got comments.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fearless_G......8590.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fearless_Girl

It seems Shanghai commissioned a bull from the artist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bund_Bull
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bund_Bull#......-_20.JPG
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
And then he spray painted the Stock exchange?
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
If you go to see a building that is your choice, you may like it or dislike it. But that choice is taken away from you when a a criminal vandalizes that building or that wall or that tower.

If you got to see a building in London that has Plexiglas installed over a Banksy for protection, that is your choice. You may like or dislike.
Ironically even Banksy needs protection from vandals.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Mr Salk
View Profile
Special user
Tied to
568 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
What a great jobs program!

But they don't paint-over Banksy.

https://forthmagazine.com/visual-art/201......angeles/

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The sacred "free market" declares Banksy's work valuable, hence it must be valuable.

I admire the zealous wish to prosecute the property vandals. That zealousness will come in handy when prosecuting those who vandalize the people's air, earth and water, and steal land to build walls. Hypothetically speaking, of course.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Your same sacred free market declares John Wayne Gacey's work valuable, hence it must be valuable- and it is, but why shouldn't we buy it? And why mustn't it ever be for sale?
Some things are more important than money, landmark.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
That's why I had "Free market" in quotes. I'm pretty skeptical that monetary value is equivalent to "The Good."

But better to punch up than punch down when being zealous in my opinion.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Do you think the elimination of private property in the means of production, the eradication of the exploitation of one person by another and the resolution of social antagonisms will lead to the disappearance of basic social roots of graffiti?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Not sure what you mean.
If people want it, it has value. Even before money was invented.
Some things should never be bought and sold.
I realize this cowardly, petty crook is not a serial killer (as far as we know) but I do know that he is a vandal. If he wants to produce art legitimately,regardless of subject matter, then I support it. However I will not condone vandalism.
As long as he continues to break the law I will continue to support his apprehension and prosecution.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Quote:

If you got to see a building in London that has Plexiglas installed over a Banksy for protection, that is your choice. You may like or dislike.
Ironically even Banksy needs protection from vandals.

You're smarter than this. This vandal is robbing the population of viewing its Capital the way they want to.
Towns vote on development. Representatives campaign on it. Approval comes from the people. Now a vandal takes it upon himself to do what he likes with it.
See the issue yet? It's why it's I L L E G A L
The misinformed opinions of a few locals do not outweigh the wants of the majority to whom elected officials are accountable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Pre-holiday shopping (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL