The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Shipping costs question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Silvert0ne
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Silvert0ne
Question for you guys:

I ordered some items from an online magic store (about $100 total, not a large package, a well known magic supplier in the United States). I paid extra for priority 2-day shipping via USPS.

The order was placed on Wed Oct 16 in the morning. The money was taken from my Paypal the same day.

On Thurs Oct 17 I got a tracking number from USPS with a delivery date of Sat Oct 19. I did notice that it said something like "awaiting item"

On Saturday I did not get the package. I checked the USPS tracking number again and it still said "awaiting item" and the last update was from Oct 17 when it was created in their system.

I emailed the supplier asking about this and asked for a response back.

Sunday no change and no response.

On Monday Oct 21 the tracking number shows the item was received by USPS that morning and shipped later that day w/ a delivery date of Wed Oct 23. Still no response from the supplier.

My question is this: While the item was technically shipped priority 2-day as I paid for, it took 4 days (maybe 3 if you're generous and don't count Sunday) to get the item shipped out so I'm actually receiving it 7 days after ordering. Should I really be charged for priority shipping?

Thanks.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
150 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Was the item in stock?

You paid for priority shipping via UPS so you did receive what you paid for.

I always put a note on my Paypal message; as I know they will read that.
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2258 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
The shipping service starts when it is processed by the delivery courier, not when the order is placed.

Shipping estimates are business days - so Sunday definitely does not count, and usually Saturday doesn't either (Have to pay more for Saturday deliveries).

USPS Priority is an estimated 2-3 business day delivery time frame within the US. It's not guaranteed to be 2 days, though in my experience they're pretty reliable on that estimate outside of holiday periods.

If something was out of stock that could explain the delay in getting it to the postal service. That should have been listed on the site but things happen sometimes.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Silvert0ne
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Silvert0ne
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2019, WitchDocChris wrote:
The shipping service starts when it is processed by the delivery courier, not when the order is placed.

What do you count as starting the process by the courier? The label and tracking number were created on Thursday, the actual item got to the courier from the supplier to be shipped the following Monday.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1319 Posts

Profile of stempleton
I've found that the dealers always print the label quickly after receiving the order, but as stated before, the shipping might not occur until days afterward.

A couple of years ago I stared putting on the note section "no backorders" if this is a popular (i.e., can get it from another dealer) item. If this is not an option, call the dealer first.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2258 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
It starts when the courier processes the package at a sorting hub. For the USPS it will say something like ..

"Accepted at USPS Origin Facility".

Someone can generate a tracking number at pretty much any time. Until that package is actually handled by the courier and scanned into their system, the tracking number is irrelevant.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Silvert0ne
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Silvert0ne
WitchDocChris, how much time do you feel is acceptable for the supplier to get the item to the courier after being ordered and secured payment when you pay extra for priority shipping?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19729 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, Silvert0ne wrote:
WitchDocChris, how much time do you feel is acceptable for the supplier to get the item to the courier after being ordered and secured payment when you pay extra for priority shipping?

If it was me I know the answer. 2 minutes and 28 seconds. I am impatient though!

I see your point perfectly. "PRIORITY" shipping! 4 days later does not "seem" like a priority to me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Silvert0ne
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Silvert0ne
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, Silvert0ne wrote:

If it was me I know the answer. 2 minutes and 28 seconds. I am impatient though!

I see your point perfectly. "PRIORITY" shipping! 4 days later does not "seem" like a priority to me.

I'm generally patient, but I agree with you here. Also, the USPS decided to let my package sit at a post office in another state for 16 hours today before moving it my way (according to the email alerts I got, the tracking # updates on the webpage have been mysteriously edited to remove that info). Now I'll be lucky if I get my package tomorrow, which is day 8 of the 2-day shipping I paid for.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2258 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I think the problem here is that you're not really realizing you're dealing with multiple services here.

The store's service is to take your order and hand it over to the shipping company. USPS in this case.

The USPS' service is to take that package and get it to you. They estimate it takes 2-3 business days to do that for USPS Priority.

That 2-3 business days starts when they scan that package into their system. The date you placed the order is irrelevant to that time frame.

If they scanned it into their system on Monday and it delivers today - that's at the end of their estimate, but still less than First Class, so you're still getting the Priority service you paid for. USPS is not guaranteed, so there's no recourse if it's only a day outside of that general estimate.

If you want a guaranteed 2-day delivery time frame, use UPS. There's a reason is two or three times the cost of USPS.

If you placed the order on Thursday, and everything was in stock (which you still have not confirmed) - then it should have gone on the truck Thursday or Friday. There's no way for us to know why that didn't happen but there's easily a dozen valid reasons for it. Processing at the USPS on Monday means the only day the store actually missed was Friday. Weekends don't count.

Also, without knowing the contents of the order I can't be sure but I can guess that USPS Priority was the cheapest option available. Sometimes UPS Ground will be cheaper but they take 6 business days within the US. Which means that although you are paying for USPS Priority, it's still the cheapest option so the store wouldn't even be able to downgrade it and refund the difference.

Now if the USPS doesn't deliver before the end of day Monday, then I'd be talking to the store about that shipping fee as they could (if they wanted to deal with USPS' support) file a claim at that point.

Generally speaking USPS Priority is pretty reliable on that 2-3 business day estimate but sometimes you do run into this kind of scenario. That's the gamble you're going to take any time you use a service that is not guaranteed.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19729 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
They indeed hide behind that "estimate". Also consider where you live as a factor. When I lived in Branson Missouri in the middle of nowhere it took far longer to get things than when I lived in Las Vegas. In New York it seems as if things arrive almost instantly!

There are indeed many factors and Chris is right. Several suppliers of services as well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Silvert0ne
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Silvert0ne
WitchDocChris, My main issue is not with the post office. My issue is w/ the supplier taking 4 days to get the item to the post office after taking my payment. I still have had no reply to my email for an explanation from the supplier.

As I stated, I paid extra for the priority 2-day shipping. It was the most expensive and fastest option. There were lower prices and slower options available. It was not the default.

I'll ask again: how much time do you feel is acceptable for the supplier to get the item to the courier after being ordered and secured payment when you pay extra for priority shipping? Also, do you feel the supplier has any responsibility to let the customer know that the item will take X number of days to get shipped prior to taking your payment?

It seems like you're putting the burden on the paying customer to find out ahead of time if the item is available even if it's not mentioned clearly when ordering.

I am a little bothered by the USPS sending me an alert saying my package left a post office in another state at 4:30am yesterday, then getting another alert telling me it left the same post office at 8:30pm last night instead, then deleting the original alert from the webpage for the tracking number. But that's the just the state of the USPS these days sadly.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2258 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I'm not saying you aren't getting a lack of support from the vendor in question - I'm saying what you paid for in regards to shipping, you are receiving. The delay from the vendor is irrelevant to the shipping service or price thereof.

Yes, they should be answering your emails.

Yes, they should have told you if there was going to be a delay which would include if an order is out of stock.

You have every right to be annoyed at their lack of response and I'd suggest calling if you can find a phone number (as it seems you've only emailed thus far).

What I am saying is there's a lot of possible variables in play here, and it's also quite possible they have a notice of such practices on the site itself. I know of at least one major magic vendor that, when an order is placed, will then order it from a supplier and receive it the next day, which they then ship out themselves. If that's the vendor you're dealing with, and the product is one of those they do that with, then the time line you've given is completely expected. They also do have that notice on their page.

Also, it's not a four day delay. It's a one day delay. Ordered on Thursday means it should have gone out Friday - but it was scanned Monday so either they are one of the few places that ships on Saturdays or they got it out Monday morning (Or they did hand it over on Friday and USPS didn't scan it until Monday). If they got it out Monday morning then they only missed one day - Friday. Weekends generally don't count. That's why these things always say "business days", ie: Mon-Fri.

Amazon has spoiled us for shipping. Not only pricing but also the speed. But Amazon is an army of people. There's only a couple magic stores that anyone would call "big".
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Silvert0ne
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Silvert0ne
Per my first post, the item was ordered Wednesday morning and the money was taken from my Paypal nearly immediately. The USPS states they were awaiting the item from the supplier until Monday.

I am involved with 3 businesses, 2 of which are literally involved in shipping physical items to paying customers. The 3rd still has many elements of delivering what people pay for. These are mom and pop operations with no army of employees to speak of. They still get items out 7 days a week and if there are any issues, the burden goes to the business and not the paying customers.

Recently I had someone get a damaged item. It was clearly damaged during the delivery process by the courier. We sent a replacement right away to the customer and I will chase down the refund from the courier. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I feel the person spending the money on your product should have the easy part of the process.

I can't imagine having a consumer pay extra for fast shipping then us sitting on the order for days on end (or making excuses about weekends not counting) with no update to the consumer.

You say we're spoiled by Amazon. I feel we, as magicians, have normalized poor customer service and businesses that make their convenience the number one priority. I looked through the "Worst Customer Service Award" thread here and my current issue is nothing compared to the horror stories in there.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19729 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I understand the frustration.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2258 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I too understand, and I'm agreeing with you in regards to the lack of support from the vendor in question. They should have let you know if there was going to be any form of delay, and they should be responding to your emails.

But money is always taken when an order is placed. That's normal and doesn't apply to the shipping time. Sorry I misread the dates, I get a little number dyslexic sometimes. They missed two days. Again, weekends don't count in most cases. I only know of a couple shops that will actually ship on Saturdays and I've had packages handed over to the USPS on a Saturday not scan until Monday. That doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me.

Regardless, at this point we're just circling. Until the vendor responds to you, or you just accept the delay, there's nothing that can be determined or done. You received the shipping service you selected.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Silvert0ne
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Silvert0ne
I understand that's your position - I paid for priority shipping and priority shipping is what I got - once they decided to get the item to the courier. My personal position is that's a technical CYA that goes against the implied social contract between customer/supplier. But, as I said before, that social contract seems to have been dead and buried for a long time when it comes to magic suppliers. Why we make excuses for them refusing to have standards other similar businesses are able to uphold is beyond me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19729 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do you have another way to source what you bought? If so this is the way to deal with the problem.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Silvert0ne
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of Silvert0ne
This specific instance is not a big problem. I paid for the fastest shipping because that should have overlapped with a time period a friend of mine was in town who I'm giving this item to as a gift. Now I'll just wait for the item to arrive and ship it to them at my own expense. It's not a huge deal but it certainly feels inconvenient after paying extra for convenience. I started this thread looking for opinions on this issue. The opinions seem split on which way the convenience should go - to the customer or the supplier.

I do feel this is a symptom of something that is a big problem - the overall apathy of magic suppliers to meet the customer service standards set by other similar businesses.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2258 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I will say this is not remotely restricted to the magic industry, and it's not new either.

There's cuneiform tablets detailing customer complaints about delivery times and the price of goods. Apparently one particularly shady merchant kept a whole room of his house dedicated to the complaints people sent him.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Shipping costs question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL