The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Where do I go from here? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
Hi there, folks - long time lurker here. I would like to level-up my magic career, but finding myself in a rut.

I've been doing magic as a part-time professional since 2012, and my business seems to be doing great in some ways, but at the same time plateauing in other ways. Basically, my strategy up til now has been using word-of-mouth advertising and a couple of websites, and Gigmasters / Thumbtack. I don't like those guys, but I do it because it's still somewhat profitable. Since I work a full-time job, I really can only handle about 2-4 gigs per month before I start getting crazy with too much work. So, I'd like to make those count.

I live in the Midwest. Can I talk frankly about financials? I will - Last year I made about $500-$600 per month on average, usually about 1-4 gigs per month. If I do family shows, most folks around here wince if it goes above $250 - $300. I prefer to do adult corporate shows, and prefer to do mentalism, which gets me $300 - $750. Even so, from time to time I take some bottom-feeder gigs in the $150 range. I did some busking for fun and practice for less than $100. Sometimes I feel that I'm wayyyy underpricing myself, but how to get my name out there?

I just performed the biggest and best show of my life last Friday - which was my 150th paid show of my career. Working with a museum, we sold 67 tickets to my 90-minute magic/mind-reading show which was a packed room. The venue sold out, then reopened ticket sales twice and put more seats in the gallery to accommodate the extra people wanting tickets. After the show, people were gushing about it. One lady said that her face hurt from grinning so much. It was such a rush - I want to do MORE of that kind of thing, but finding the opportunities is difficult!

Also worthy to note: my business is down this year from the previous year. I had a rough patch from about September 2018 through May 2019 where it seemed like the market dropped out on me. I had a couple of clients cancel on me last minute. [No deposits requested. Learned my lesson. Asking for deposits from now on.] During that dry spell I was freaking out. Then things started to even out again. I guess that's the nature of the industry.

So, what do I do?

* I don't currently advertise on Google nor social media. I should probably do that but I don't know what I'm doing. I tried it 5 years ago and saw no gigs from it. It seems like people are getting success that way. How do I learn about advertising on LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.?

* I've been eyeballing coaches and systems to take me to the next level. I see mixed reviews and arguments about them (and would prefer to not rehash those arguments here). I was a part of Conjuror Community for over a year, and it was helpful for a while, but I felt I stagnated there. Maybe some similar system which just focused on entertainer marketing would work?

* I've heard advice to "raise your fees, young man"! I've done that slowly and organically from when I started. If I start to get "too much work", I raise my fees a bit. I mean, ideally if I could make 10x what I'm making currently, I might consider quitting my day job.

* I'm the president of my local IBM ring, if that matters. I try to get around and network with all of the magicians I can.

So, would you have any advice for a guy that has a show people seem to like, but isn't getting out there enough at the right price? What should I invest in to take my career to the next level? Maybe I should just suck it up and be satisfied. What I have right now with my magic career is already beyond my wildest dreams. I never imagined doing it professionally, so...

Anyway, if you're a working pro who's made it past the plateau, your advice would be appreciated!
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This is a great post and something that is very common among magicians and even other types of performers in similar situations as yours. I am surprised no one has chimed in to offer you some thoughts, so I will for what it may be worth to you.

First, it is so refreshing for you to speak frankly about financials. For some reason many do not want to do this here when in reality it can be so helpful to so many others by a point of comparison. The problem is many will embellish such numbers and not be real about their situations, so again it is nice to see you do so.

I'll be happy to offer you some thoughts and insight.

My first question is what do you mean by "family shows?" This is a term that I regularly see used and thrown around and am always surprised to understand that it means different things to different magicians, so for the sake of accuracy and remaining on-topic I would like to learn what you mean by "family shows?" (seriously).

I hear from so many magicians in this same situation. Actually I might go as far as saying it may be the #1 thing I hear from many magicians about where they are at or what they feel they are facinng at this point in their performing.

"Sometimes I feel that I'm wayyyy underpricing myself, but how to get my name out there?" Many magicians have this belief or mentality when in reality these are two different things. Underpricing yourself is one issue, and "getting your name out there is something completely different. Many think one fuel the other and therefore don't approach them individually. Not understanding these properly will lead one to an inconsistency in both bookings and income/price per booking.

The main issue here is you are in a position of being both an amateur/hobbyist and professional at the same time, each with different (and sometimes opposing) positions in your path and progress. The hobbyist/amateur in you says I just want to perform more, to improve and get better, and just be able to do my magic for others. The professional part of you says, my time and talent is worth value and because of my job and other commtments, I only have so much time available for this, I should get a decent or acceptable price for this. Also that the market has an established value and I should regularly at least get a normal, nominal or expected rate. So the amateur in you just wants to get out there and perform but since you are accepting money for ths you are operating as a professional (even if extremely art-time) and you understand the value for the 1-4 gigs a month you are willing to perform.

Taking "bottomfeeder" gigs is not the best way to "get your name out there" and in many ways will often work against you and your overall mission that it will help. This is also where the type of gigs you are calling "family events" comes in.

Right about this point those at your level start having conflicting thoughts, perspectives, and their approaches become intertwined resulting in confusion, muddiness and the feeling of exactly what you describe. It is at this point in trying to move beyond this situation some to many will have a second set of conflicting thoughts to try to remedy the first set. They will think, I need a consistent source of decent-paying bookings or I need more bookings...then when they can't think of another way for this to happen the will get the idea to try to contact an agency as a source to get the "more bookings" and consistency they are seeking. I get many of these types of inquiries at my agencies very regularly, sometimes weekly, but definitely a handful each month. In an attempt not to discourage them or reject them I will explain this situation and that they are not truly agency-ready at this current point. Agency representation in an attempt to gain more bookings is not the answer they are seeking and truly in their best interest.

So to break them down separately, performing more will make you better, and yes, if done well can also lead to more bookings - BUT will typically only lead to the same level of bookings you performed initially. So if you are accepting one of these "bottomfeeder" gigs at $125 let's say, it will very likely attract more $125 bookings. It is more difficult to make it convert to a $500 booking, just by performing the budget gig. A budget performer will perform budget gigs. Since you only have 1-4 sot open per month you need to focus on only performing the gigs that best serve you. At 3 or 4 gigs a month you should be able to regularly book $1,350 to $2,000 per month. If you take one of those 1-4 slots and allow the budget gigs to come in you are allowing yourself to cross back over into that amateur mentality that may have a short-term gain (getting some more performing experience) but setting yourself away from your actual potential or goal.

Gigmasters and the others aside (these are as you say always a source of some leads or bookings, but tend to make you want to book based on price, which tends to make you drop your prices based again on these amateur mentalities) you should make some foundational deciisons that will allow you a more clearer pricture of the types and level of gigs you wish to do, so them you can create a plan to target and focus on those types of bookings that are best suited for your needs and goals, without the threat of accepting gigs that work against your plan or structure.

I've never been a fan of those that encourage you to just "raise your prices young man" that somehow think by just doing so will make others line up to pay you to perform at this price. Your offering, including price, must have the value you are asking for with that price, so just riaing prices without the value will find you sitting at home with few or mow bookings, and then second-guessing everything you are doing and those that you have listened to. For example, most that I work with will often be able to raise and in many cases even double their prices, not because I tell them to, but because we create the value and situations and environments to do so where it is invited and easily accepted. This has nothing to do with performing magic, it is more of the business aspect of operations.

Next is you don't want to confuse business knowledge, skills and operations, with marketing. So many magicians mistakenly think if they want more bookings or more income from their rmagic they must simply market some more. This too often leads to discouragement and disappointment and the lack of results combined with wasted money spent will also have you confused and second-guessing yourself. Again, you are mixing issues and have an incorrect perception. More bookings will not help you if the business and operations to generate the right types of bookings are not first firmly in place. When done properly, in the right order, THEN AND ONLY THEN can/will one feed and fuel the other at the levels and pricing you want or need consistently. You need to switch your mindset to the professional side of things. By doing so you can and will get the bookings, types of bookings at the level you truly desire, which then will lead to more bookings of the right kind and price points.

Congrats on the "perfect" show you just described. It is more of this type of booking that you may want to start focusing on. You steer your ship and control the direction and path your performing (business) takes. Now that you have experienced it and know it exists, you may want to focus more in this direction.

Your thoughts on Google or social media may or may not come into play. It depends on the markets and types of booking you desire and choose to focus on and if that, once determined, will require the use of Google or social media to reach your target prospects. Again, once a clear picture and path is determined, so more than likely will be the best way to target them optimally. Just doing what many magicians consider to be marketing may have little effect on those you are trying to reach. Each market is dictated by its own path, and not the thing you or other magicians may think is how to approach it. Marketing is only useful, beneficial, and only comes into play when you are market-ready and all other elements are in place first.

My advice and you may not want to hear this, and I do not mean it offensively (as some may take it), is stay away from magic clubs and the magic community as they are often just more guys likely in the same situation or worse than yourself. They are notoriously known for lacking business and operations skills and experience in entertainment business. It leads to the blind or very blurry, offering general and often limited advice just in an attempt to be helpful, which often is just generic things they have heard themselves that hasn't really produced real results. Those that you may talk to that may have had some level of success, isn't likely because they have secret knowledge that you don't, but rather that they gave a defined market and have made the proper initial decisions to create a clearer vision and specific plan of attack.

You are in a great area for magic. Magic opportunities are everywhere, more so than most other types of performances. They will not just come to you or pop up for you, you have to seek and create them. This can only be done once some clarity has been reached and determined.

As I said, if you are seeking assistance or guidance find someone with entertainment business experience, not just other performers, as most performers are lousy to terrible at business and business operations. With them create a clear vision and determination of the choices and options. Once clarified then create a business model and plan to achieve it. Then and only then should you consider any type of marketing and then focus on the marketing that best serves this determined direction you are seeking.

My second piece of advice is if you are going to "invest" as you mentioned, invest in knowledge and operations, not marketing. This will provide your direction, clarity and a proper path, which will then allow you to market more cost-effectively when the time is right and the methods or means are defined, which will allow you the type and level of bookings you desire without spending marketing dollars that are ineffective or less effective, while giving you much more control and positioning over your performing interests, regardless of what level you are currently on or will eventually progress to.

As an IBM president, you could also bring in someone as a guest speaker specializing in entertainment business experience (don't make the mistake of bringing in someone who specializes in marketing) but in my experience, most in these groups have no real interest or focus in learning the business aspects of performing.

Once you are education and armed with the right knowledge and information it will create a direction and plan that will be much clearer and easier to follow and you will be amazed how much more quickly you will start to see the kind of results you are seeking. Hopefully, then the majority of your shows will be ay a better price point and have the type of booking as you described above with the museum event.

Asking questions here as a good starting point as I and others should be happy to assist.

Best of luck!
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
761 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
As always MindPro knocks it out of the park..

As far as learning Digital Marketing... check out the free weekly webinars https://blueprintyourmarketing.com/coffee-caffeine-weekly/

My abilities are heavily focused in the digital arena, so I will avoid the other aspects of the post and play to my strong points, so please take this as the targeted advise and thoughts that it is intended to be.

----
OK I pulled up your website and did a quick audit on the technical and marketing aspect of it.

Technical Aspect
- You need an SSL installed. As of July 2018, Google SSL requirements were enforced by flagging sites without SSL as unsafe in Chrome. ... You mention that you had a sudden drop in leads, this could be part of that.
- Weebly used to be a very powerful platform to build on but it was used way to much as a spam platform and has been devalued. A wordpress site would give you more OOMPH if setup properly, I will map it out below
- You have 2 single page websites interlinked... really lowers the site Authority in search engines eyes, you would be better served building each site and not interlinking them
- The Heading Tags on each site are used for design... H tags should be Structure not Design.. Think Newspaper the H1 is the primary topic, H2 supports the primary H3 supports the H2... and so on.. they must be used in structured order.
- You have very little actual content on the site to let search know what the site is about.

Marketing
- There is very little actual marketing going on here... I wouldn't run any paid ads to these pages. (sorry to be so blunt, but I do want to help you gain ground and not waste advertising budget)
- Use the actual logos in the "Previous Clients" section...
- Do you have any video from your shows? they would massively increase your conversions.
- the content is very thin...

Think of your site as a way to tell a story.
You have a unique opportunity to get in front of your ideal client and you have their undivided attention for 3 seconds. You have to draw them in and get them excited to want more.
Tell the story..

They hit the page, you want them to know why they should stay, and then walk them through what they can expect by booking you.

Wordpress Build out
- Install wordpress
- Main navigation (Home, Service 1, Service 2)
- footer navigation (Blog, about us, contact us, privacy policy)
- content layout (pictures where they apply)
h1 (250 to 500 words about main topic)
h2 (100 - 250 words on category)
h3 supporting topic (250 -500 words)
h2 (100 - 250 words on category)
As you can see this really does expand pages... so you want to split the content up with breaks on the page with a testimonial and a call to action. These should link to a page with the contact form and not have the form on the main page. Search engines treat pages asking for information differently than just content pages. Here is a great tutorial on contact pages https://nicholasreese.com/perfect-contact-page/
- To simplify building the pages use a pagebuilder in WP.. I really like Elementor https://wordpress.org/plugins/elementor/ ... Beaver Builder is also good to use https://wordpress.org/plugins/beaver-builder-lite-version/
- Use a good SEO plugin and write good targeted Title, Description Tags .. I use https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-seopress/
- Setup your sitemap and submit it to google
- Add google analytics (you need data to see what is working and what doesn't)
- Add a Facebook Tracking Pixel (even if your not paying for FB ads get the pixel installed, as you grow RE TARGETING with FB ads is an easy win for good ROI)

When I was performing full time (before my health forced me back behind the desk) the family events (birthdays, anniversaries, exc) are what filled in the gaps on my calendar as I worked hard to book corporate 90 days out.
With all of this it does come down to the 4Rs in Marketing
- Reputation - What are people saying about you, and are you asking for reviews (Google and Yelp reviews are huge for Birthday parties)
- Reach - are you getting in front of more people today than yesterday (I highly suggest having 3 separate REACH systems in any business so if one breaks or dries up you don't suffer)
- Resell - This is where building a good list and having a good CRM (I like Active Campaign) comes into play. For corporate events you can reach out if you have been invited to an annual party 90 days before it hits again.. same with birthdays,
- Referral - use ethical bribes ... When I was doing birthday parties I would give out $200 Outback gift cards if 3 others booked a party... or you can do a "Would you like me to come back and do another party at no charge, if 4 of your friends book, your next event will be my thank you." ...

I hope this helps you...
its ok.. balloon dogs don't bite
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Not a working pro today, I’m retired but I can offer some important business advice that I’ve learned over the years having owned/operated a number of businesses, some magic related some not.

As IBM president, you can’t stay away from magic clubs and the magic community, as Mindpro suggests above. As a full time business person the first thing we need to learn is how to get along with others regardless of who they are or what they do. I’ve done business with many people that I didn’t especially care for, but they were treated with the same respect and courtesy as any other customer. I know many working magicians that go to club meeting when they can and have no problem networking with other magicians. Try and develop a personality where this is not a problem, because sometimes we can learn more from our competitors than anyone else. Also at some time in their career some magicians offer products to other magicians. This can be a good source of additional income if you have positioned yourself as a likeable person. People buy from those they like and especially in a small market like magic.

Social media like Facebook can be helpful or it can be hurtfully. Those who really understand the meaning of the old saying “the world is a stage” can do well on facebook and other public forums. Shy away from politics and religion as much as you can because the world is watching. I read the other day where some folks got up and walked out on a magician because of his outspoken political views during his show. I thought to myself, how stupid can a working professional be.

Good luck with it

Tom
Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
For "Family shows" I mean, a family hires me -- usually for a birthday party or some other similar event. Often I entertain children and adults at these things. I mean, hired by a family, instead of being hired by a business.

Thank you MindPro, Mike, and Tom. I'm parsing through your messages now!
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Yekrats,

Now that I see you work with kids and if you don’t already have it you may want to check out my ebook The Daycare Magician sometimes. It has helped many professionals fill in daytime shows with otherwise wasted time. The pay can be much better than you might think if you go about it right. Also daycares are the perfect place to book other shows, especially birthday and family type shows. No need sitting home all week waiting to do a show on the weekend when you could be busy working during the weekdays too.Smile

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh lord this is becoming the sales pitch section LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:
Not a working pro today....

As IBM president, you can’t stay away from magic clubs and the magic community, as Mindpro suggests above.

Tom

Well now before you scare Yekrats away and derail this thread too, let's correct the facts once again.

I never said anything about staying away from magic clubs and the magic community. This was your deliberate twisting of what I was saying out of context, or your not understanding it at all.

This, once again, is Tom taking something out of context to fit his agenda, t speak of something he has no actual experience, and twist it to say something that was never said. To correct those that cannot comprehend what I thought I clearly stated what I said was... "stay away from magic clubs and the magic community as they are notoriously known for lacking business and operational skills and experience in entertainment business." As it pertains to business skills and operations. Most do not operate as entertainers, only magicians with a very basic and elementary default approach and mentality. The very best you will hear is what they have heard or read, or what they have done, which is always going to be very limiting and likely quite different from you, your personal situation, your business, your markets, and your specific operations. Also, they will almost always tell you that what is needed is "marketing," which as stated above is almost always incorrect. I always say, "be careful who you listen to" especially with regard to real experience and professional and industry advice.

Tom, he (the OP) came here seeking specific advice, not generic, rah-rah aged advice, so let's stick on topic to the specific advice he's seeking. He has put himself, his numbers, and his personal situation out there offering very specific personal advice which is what we should be responding to. Be respectful of that. He is not asking for opinions but actual experienced-based insight and input.

As Tom said he is NOT a working performer or pro, so that should be all that is needed as it pertains to the situation he has offered. He specifically said IF YOU ARE A WORKING PRO WHO HAS MADE IT PAST THAT PLATEAU YOUR ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

Tom you haven't been any type of performer, pro or otherwise, for some time or perhaps at all for all we know. I'm not sure I would want any kind of advice from someone who has proclaimed to have 40 businesses in 50 years. That is not a great track record and reeks for unsuccessful (see I didn't say failures) attempts and ventures.

Some of us here are genuinely interested in helping him and have spent over two hours getting up at 4:00 a.m. to respond to his posts with real-world industry information as he was seeking. His post was up for days with no one responding or offering any assistance or input. Now you only respond to oppose and get digs into others' posts and insightful information and to blatantly pursue your continued agenda.

Be respectful.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Also by the way based on the specific input he has offered Daycares are not much of a reality or wise suggestion based on what he has stated he is seeking. Of course, this will be determined when he addresses the initial foundational questions and decisions he needs to do. So until then, there is really no need to offer more info to confuse the issue until that has been determined.

And don't even get me started on the suggestion to offer products to sell to other magicians. Again, advice having nothing to do with the topic or what he's seeking.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, Yekrats wrote:
For "Family shows" I mean, a family hires me -- usually for a birthday party or some other similar event. Often I entertain children and adults at these things. I mean, hired by a family, instead of being hired by a business.

That is what I thought but just wanted clarification before offering more perspective.

Part of the problem of what you are mentioning and calling "family Shows" is that it isn't an actual performing market, but rather a general term covering a variety of types of events. In the industry, these are called private events or the private event market. As said, private events for families. These are considered part of the consumer market, as opposed to professional markets, so consumer market techniques and resources will help you target and book these types of events.

I mention and address this because how you would target a kid's birthday booking, would be different compared to seeking to target retirements, anniversaries, weddings, graduations, etc. Each of these has their own means and resources of marketing and operations. By lumping all of them together under the perception of "family market" means you will tend to do general or PITW marketing, which will more than likely be costly and only minimally effective.

All of this, which again, takes me back to conducting the proper foundational process to make some initial decisions which will guide you in a more defined and specific way to proceed and target reach those specifically booking these types of events. Also, many aspects required are different among these different types of "family" shows/bookings. For example, the resources you would use to book a kid's birthday party would be different to target a retirement party or high-schoolers graduation party. Different promo materials, content, strategies, and issues come into play for both you and the customer.

If this isn't done you will at best, always be just a generalist or jack of all trades all over the place sending mixed marketing and positioning messages to prospective clients. As the professional saying goes, "a confused mind will never buy" which is what you are setting yourself up for. This leads to many other issues to identify and work through.

This is just the starting point. This is why I often think it is best to decide on a market or two to focus on, which will make things much more manageable, affordable, and you can formulate a plan and model based on these. This will lead to higher pricing rather than being all over the place which includes the bottomfeeder gigs you are trying to move away from.

Also, as an entertainer, you should be focusing on and understanding the 5 different types of bookings which you aren't based on how you are operating. This is where things can really go to the next level and greatly increase profitability.

I hope this information helps and you're head isn't spinning as that is not my intent but to offer some insight, guidance, and perspective.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I'm a big fan of the brand leading the way, which is not just your personality, logo, and image. It is more-so a hyper-focus on the people you serve and experience you provide. Raising fees does no good if the show stinks, but it also doesn't do any good if the market you're in doesn't provide enough leads paying at that fee.

Show business is hard, no matter what way you slice it. It is taxing on our sense of identity and self-worth. You sound like you are yearning for more, but frustrated that you can't seem to grasp it.

I hate to inform you but that feeling never goes away lol. It doesn't go away ESPECIALLY if you're going full time with your eye on a larger prize.

Having started performing for money at a very young age, being "full time" was the dream. Once I reached it, a whole new set of goals opened up with reasons to feel unsatisfied. It took me a long time to feel comfortable with the constant upward climb of a limitless mountain.

Aside from money and size of shows, it really is just a feeling that you're not satisfied with something about your career. Look inward to find out why that is, and remind yourself that you are better than whatever inadequacies you've convinced yourself that you have.

In terms of making your career more solid and consistent, part of this is very much tied to your own personal situation. Since you are older than the young bucks hitting the scene, you can use this to your advantage. If you have the possibility of knowing when you can quit your full-time job, time it so you can maximize whatever kind of safety nets you can get. The you 10 years from now will thank you for this.

Whenever you will be ready to shed your full-time thing, you must be essentially earning double what you need to live on (for expenses, taxes, savings, etc.). If you are not confident in your market or possibilities for upward career mobility, then there's nothing wrong with having a part-time job that's less stressful and being okay with doing gigs part-time. There's a lot of freedom in a diversity of income and less pressure on the art-side of what we love.

You design YOUR career. No one else will do it for you, and other people's lives will never be yours. Keep your plans simple, with room to grow, but also make sure you know what keeps it satisfying.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, Mindpro wrote:

My advice and you may not want to hear this, and I do not mean it offensively (as some may take it), is stay away from magic clubs and the magic community as they are often just more guys likely in the same situation or worse than yourself. They are notoriously known for lacking business and operations skills and experience in entertainment business. It leads to the blind or very blurry, offering general and often limited advice just in an attempt to be helpful, which often is just generic things they have heard themselves that hasn't really produced real results. Those that you may talk to that may have had some level of success, isn't likely because they have secret knowledge that you don't, but rather that they gave a defined market and have made the proper initial decisions to create a clearer vision and specific plan of attack.

Mindpro, You didn't say "stay away from magic clubs and the magic community" in your own words above? Sorry but that's how I read it. Could you explain how you didn't say it?

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, Mindpro wrote:

Mindpro, You didn't say "stay away from magic clubs and the magic community" in your own words above? Sorry but that's how I read it. Could you explain how you didn't say it?

Tom

Could the guy who has never been a full time performer please try to derail the thread where ONLY those who are currently performing respond a little more?

Put your agenda away Tom. Nobody asked you anything. You are not working currently and have not for the better part of 45 years. Can we just have ONE thread where the OP gets his questions answered without a lot of nonsense from you and your imaginary friends.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny & Mindpro, Why don't we let the OP read my book and have him tell us if it is good or bad information in it?
He is welcome to download a free sample of it and decide for himself. Wouldn't that be the best thing to do.

Or do you just enjoy trying to discredit anything I say. Like most here, I don't even know mindpro's name,
and he or you certainly don't know anything about me. You just make stuff up in hope others will belive it.

Both of you should get some help. Really, you have a serious problem with others here.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2019, Yekrats wrote:
Hi there, folks - long time lurker here. I would like to level-up my magic career, but finding myself in a rut.

I've been doing magic as a part-time professional since 2012, and my business seems to be doing great in some ways, but at the same time plateauing in other ways. Basically, my strategy up til now has been using word-of-mouth advertising and a couple of websites, and Gigmasters / Thumbtack. I don't like those guys, but I do it because it's still somewhat profitable. Since I work a full-time job, I really can only handle about 2-4 gigs per month before I start getting crazy with too much work. So, I'd like to make those count.

I live in the Midwest. Can I talk frankly about financials? I will - Last year I made about $500-$600 per month on average, usually about 1-4 gigs per month. If I do family shows, most folks around here wince if it goes above $250 - $300. I prefer to do adult corporate shows, and prefer to do mentalism, which gets me $300 - $750. Even so, from time to time I take some bottom-feeder gigs in the $150 range. I did some busking for fun and practice for less than $100. Sometimes I feel that I'm wayyyy underpricing myself, but how to get my name out there?

I just performed the biggest and best show of my life last Friday - which was my 150th paid show of my career. Working with a museum, we sold 67 tickets to my 90-minute magic/mind-reading show which was a packed room. The venue sold out, then reopened ticket sales twice and put more seats in the gallery to accommodate the extra people wanting tickets. After the show, people were gushing about it. One lady said that her face hurt from grinning so much. It was such a rush - I want to do MORE of that kind of thing, but finding the opportunities is difficult!

Also worthy to note: my business is down this year from the previous year. I had a rough patch from about September 2018 through May 2019 where it seemed like the market dropped out on me. I had a couple of clients cancel on me last minute. [No deposits requested. Learned my lesson. Asking for deposits from now on.] During that dry spell I was freaking out. Then things started to even out again. I guess that's the nature of the industry.

So, what do I do?

* I don't currently advertise on Google nor social media. I should probably do that but I don't know what I'm doing. I tried it 5 years ago and saw no gigs from it. It seems like people are getting success that way. How do I learn about advertising on LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.?

* I've been eyeballing coaches and systems to take me to the next level. I see mixed reviews and arguments about them (and would prefer to not rehash those arguments here). I was a part of Conjuror Community for over a year, and it was helpful for a while, but I felt I stagnated there. Maybe some similar system which just focused on entertainer marketing would work?

* I've heard advice to "raise your fees, young man"! I've done that slowly and organically from when I started. If I start to get "too much work", I raise my fees a bit. I mean, ideally if I could make 10x what I'm making currently, I might consider quitting my day job.

* I'm the president of my local IBM ring, if that matters. I try to get around and network with all of the magicians I can.

So, would you have any advice for a guy that has a show people seem to like, but isn't getting out there enough at the right price? What should I invest in to take my career to the next level? Maybe I should just suck it up and be satisfied. What I have right now with my magic career is already beyond my wildest dreams. I never imagined doing it professionally, so...

Anyway, if you're a working pro who's made it past the plateau, your advice would be appreciated!

Here is the news you won't want to hear. Read it though please.

That "plateau" you speak of will go on a LOT longer than you want. It is simply the way it is. Unless you can do more time devoted to this job you will not be able to transition to full time work. Working 2-4 gigs a month simply is not going to get it done.

The reason for that is you will simply not gain enough experience to be able to raise your "value" (Notice I didn't say raise your "price".) Your price is way different from your value. Not many actually understand this concept, but it is basic and NECESSARY!

In magic specifically progress is made rather quickly at the start. This is because most effects or tricks are bought ready to go and reactions are built in. So to get to the level you need to be kind of making some money is pretty easily accomplished. BUT what happens is you hit that "plateau" you speak of. To get past that takes some figuring out.

So the question is actually do you KNOW your show is ready to get past the "plateau"? I won't go into it but this might be an issue. Only you know this.

Another thing to consider, and most get it wrong, you need to understand the following. A GREAT book was written by a CEO of a huge company and the title pretty much says it all. "What Got You Here, Won't Get You There". Most make the mistake of thinking that doing the things that got them the success they have now will garner future success. The truth is nothing could be further off. If you keep doing what got you "here" you will keep getting "here". You need to do different things to get you "there". Buy the book. It is worth reading for the concepts within it.

Also forget the "gushing" spectators. It is meaningless. I am happy it happened, I am not discouraging you. BUT don't concentrate on that feeling. It is not the best way to do business.

You will go through ups and downs. It happens. It works out in the end. I know you seem worried about the price range. It is what it is. Can you move? Again you have to establish "value" not set a price.

If you want to get through the "plateau" what are you willing to do to accomplish it? This is not just a random question. But seriously think about what you will sacrifice to MAKE IT HAPPEN. Because it is going to require a heck of a lot of sacrifice for longer than you may think to make this happen.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Danny & Mindpro, Why don't we let the OP read my book and have him tell us if it is good or bad information in it?
He is welcome to download a free sample of it and decide for himself. Wouldn't that be the best thing to do.

Or do you just enjoy trying to discredit anything I say. Like most here, I don't even know mindpro's name,
and he or you certainly don't know anything about me. You just make stuff up in hope others will belive it.

Both of you should get some help. Really, you have a serious problem with others here.

Tom

So this is a no.

The guy asked for performers working full time to answer. YOU CAN'T STOP answering even though it is not you and you tell others they need help? Irony much?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Also forget the "gushing" spectators. It is meaningless. I am happy it happened, I am not discouraging you. BUT don't concentrate on that feeling. It is not the best way to do business.

Man, truer words have never been spoken. I say this regular to those that really are interested in learning the truth and as those I have worked with know I have shared a story where I had to prove this to an entertainer (and his parents) who started believing the "gushing" spectators. Never, use this as a barometer or you will never have a true understanding of the greater picture

As for Tom, I DID actually RE-EXPLAIN it to you and you still are not capable of comprehending it. Give it up.

Daycares are NOT his answer either so quit ushing it on him. He doesn't need to read your book to get the obvious answer. He said what he is interested in pursuing and even gave a recent example. He also said he has a full-time job. He will never get that from the daycare market. Again, magician's thinking, with trying to twist anything and everything to fit your agenda. Let's stick to the facts provided and the information he gave and the information he is seeking.

Also, there is nothing to discredit Tom, this is to an area you don't exist in or have experience in. If anything it is the exact minimal and limited magicians thinking I have referred to!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny,

Much of my experience in magic is explained in my book.

Maybe you should read it so you can get your facts straight about me.

Of course I’m sure you had rather just listen to your imaginary friend and continue to make stuff up.

For the record not one single person on here has ever said a bad word about me except you and Mindpro. That should tell you something.

Anyway I think you two have derailed this thread enough for now, so I will stop.

Carry on.

Tom
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes because when I see cr*p being peddled, opinion being passed off as fact, and improper information being offered to those that it could cost them time, money and setbacks and possibly even worse, YES I will call BS when I see it. He asked for specific information from working pros, plain and simple what don't you understand about that? This whole conversation should have ended at that.

Trust me, there are many more here that think and feel the same way about you and interfering, constantly with very productive topics and threads, and desperately trying to put yourself on levels of working entertainment professionals in the industry. You're kidding yourself if you don't think others clearly see this. Man, are you kidding yourself. Everyone knows exactly who, when and where a topic will get derailed. People are now even posting preparation for this in their initial posts in the hope to prevent this, lol.
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
761 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Attempting to get back on track with this...
OK so because I am not physically able to perform, I shifted to being a Business and Marketing Coach. I do use a majority of the skills as an entertainer when I am speaking publicly.

A business coach I paid BIG money to, in order to help me make this transition and still pay bills. His advise to me... "Build a small group of 3 to 5 others. Do not select peers. Select people who are where you want to be."

The key is.. You can't learn how to scale the mountain from people who have never climbed the mountain. You also can't learn how to reach the summit from people who have never made it higher than you.

An Example from my own journey. In 2015 I had been teaching Digital Marketing and SEO for 8 years, and had been in the industry building websites and doing marketing for people since 1992. (From 2004 to 2013 I did this part time as I was a full time entertainer, I even made it onto Food Networks Good Eats) .. I give you the back story so you understand the shift in 2015...
In 2015 I had a business coach who was helping me shift to be different from everyone else, because of that shift I was invited to speak at Network Empires Certification. I learned about NE in 2006 and viewed it at a goal, but with a 30k price tag to go through certification, it was out of my reach. With the unique opportunity to SPEAK at this event I went, and met people who where "WHERE I WANTED TO BE" ... By spending a WEEK with people who where so far ahead of me in knowledge and skill, My own skills and knowledge more than TRIPLED. They connected the dots of things I was struggling to understand, they helped me to see areas of my business that needed to be removed and needed to be changed. It was a game changer. Because of the shift that week sent me in I have achieved many things that would not have been possible any other way.

I have been here in the Café for years, I don't post very often. But I do read.
If I was able to continue and needed a group of people to help me grow, I would look for people who knew the path ahead and knew how to reach the goal and not people like myself who where asking the same questions.
IMHO There are a few people on the Café that can meet this criteria. In the past there where more, some have grown and are no longer around (at least I don't see them anymore).

I would pay Mindpro...

With that said, I wouldn't pay those who want to tell me how to climb a mountain who have never even walked around the mountain.
its ok.. balloon dogs don't bite
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Where do I go from here? (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL