The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tarot resources (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
katarinag
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of katarinag
Following up on my post a few days ago about cold reading, I thought I’d ask another even more specific question: what are your favourite resources for learning Tarot?

I am new to it (although my mother was a very good tarot reader, so I’ve been around the cards all my life), and would love to read more - not only instructions about how to do a reading but also the history of the tradition, etc.

One book has been recommended by a few folks: The Way of Tarot by Alejandro Jodorowsky (I come from the film world so this appeals to me, but beyond that I am clueless).

Thanks!
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
388 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Look up Enrique Enriquez and act fast as he's closing up his course soon.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love & be loved in return.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1039 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Best of the best is Dusty White. He will teach you how to read intuitively as opposed to memorising meanings.

He has 2 books, a podcast and an online school called easy tarot lessons. Prepare to commit a good chunk of time if you wanna learn proper.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, Goldfield wrote:

I've heard good things about that. Really, he is? Do you have a link? I think I always saw his stuff on the mevpro site. http://www.mevproshop.com/invisible-tarot.html
I heard once that this is gold: http://www.mevproshop.com/tarot-readers-notebook.html

I have heard good things about Kenton Knepper's Tarot stuff ( http://wonderwizards.com ).

I've stayed away from Tarot but personally enjoy Julian Moore's work on Palmistry and Graphology.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I have too many books, but no end of advice. I suggest getting one book (even a free one online, but print it out) and make sure there’s plenty of space in the margins for taking notes. Read through the meanings at least once before creating marginalia. Your eventual goal is to have 2-4 key words written above or beside each card in the book. Try to create a story for each card, one that captures the meaning and makes the card real to you.

Now start giving readings. The only way I know to get good at tarot reading is to do it a lot. This is a hurdle for a lot of people. But do it as much as you can. You will also modify your key words after you’ve been doing it for a while.

There are some books that work great for learning. There are some that are a tedious slog. Find one you like. And write in it.

Patrick
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
My very first book that I used to learn how to read Tarot was the Little White Book (LWB) that came with the deck. I quickly memorized the meanings that went with each card, and then adjusted each to fit my way of speaking.

I also used one of the many Eden Gray books as well, as back in my day, we didn't have as many different decks as we do now. Most were based on the Rider-Waite-Smith.

Nowadays, there's a deck (or two) for every possible occasion. I still tend to read the LWB (even if it's no longer little or white) that goes with the deck. Some of them are quite detailed in explaining what the designer/artist intended with each card.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
My favourite book is "The Tarot" by Alfred Douglas, and I also recommend David Sheridan's pack which was made to go with the book. The designs are mostly based on the same ideas as the Rider-Waite Tarot.

https://www.sheridandouglas.co.uk/

Barry
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I think there's far too many meanings for each card from a traditional perspective... I only grew to love tarot after a long while of disliking it... I think the two guys to read up on are Enrique enriquez and Scott Grossberg...

then again, it depends on your life viewpoint too...if you think its some deeply spiritual and intuitive process, then you're better off reading the shut-eye, main market side of the tarot...

if you wanna stick a finger in two pies at once, then I think if you read these two you'd be well set:
jung on the tarot
Tarotmania - Woudhuysen, Jan

and yes, full marks for the tarot scene in The Holy Mountain! its amazing...
I've asked to be banned
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Easy Tarot by Josephine Ellershaw
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
321 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
My favorite is Richard Webster's Tarot for Fun and Profit. Tarotmania by Woudhuysen is a must too.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Let me add to this (already fine) list of resources by mentioning the several (free) essays by Richard Webster, available on The Deceptionary.

I particularly recommend "Instant Cash: The Story of Bill", a wonderful (and informative) tarot story.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18033 Posts

Profile of Slim King
The Amazing Criswell ( Uncle Jerry) has a book called CRISWELL'S FORBIDDEN PREDICTIONS...
https://www.amazon.com/Criswells-forbidd......-1-fkmr0
I highly recommend this book by a fellow Koenig!!! Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
I have read scores of Tarot books. The best for learning and reading quickly is The Complete Book of Tarot. by Juliet Sharman Burke. It's short, to the point and a great reference to practice. You can look up meanings easily and it gives all the basic reading layouts and processes. The more complete book is 78 Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollack. Both excellent teachers and no frills reads. They are the real deal.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Some really great suggestions here. Thank you all who have posted with recommendations!
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Thank you, Iain.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
This is an excellent film with Enrique to get you started.

https://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/tarology

I adore the way Enrique connects to the major arcana, but the minor arcana leaves a lot to be desired for me.

The tarot is a story that we all know. Love and loss. Peace and war. Secrets, power, exchanges, journeys, money, famine, hardship, riches, health, abundance, positives, negatives etc etc. It really is life, distilled into 78 cards.

If you want to take it seriously and beyond the level of most, rote learning is utterly pointless. You won’t be able to connect to it, or read the cards in a meaningful way.

My advice is to buy a deck you think suits you. take a card a day, starting at 0, the fool, and write down 3/4 things about it that you feel represent it. Then the next day look up the traditional meanings and see how close or far you were. There has to be a level of personal interpretation in it. Within 3 months you’ll have mastered the basics. Seems like a long time but anything worth learning is worth learning right.
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
I second the recommendation for tarology. If you are interested in more of Enrique's written work take a look at:

Tarology: https://www.amazon.com/dp/8792633129

EN TEREX IT: ENCOUNTERS AROUND TAROT: VOLUME 1: https://www.amazon.com/dp/8792633196

EX ITENT ER: ENCOUNTERS AROUND TAROT: VOLUME TWO: https://www.amazon.com/dp/8792633218
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Rubert thanks so much for your post. That was fascinating.
Lakewood, Ohio
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
The Tarology film is wonderful. Thank you for sharing the link!
katarinag
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of katarinag
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2019, Goldfield wrote:

He has been recommended to me by many knowledgeable folks. I didn't know there was a course. I have ordered his book, Tarology, in the meantime. But where do I even find out about the course?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tarot resources (21 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL