The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Forgotten Princess by Alexander Marsh (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Considering that someone could buy a different effect with a gaff deck that includes cards one could also use to do this... I’d say it’s priced too high.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1935 Posts

Profile of ted french
I've always loved the princess card trick but like many of you I feel like it has been exposed too much online and it's not very deceptive. Forgotten Princes uses similar gimmicks as the original princess card trick but the improvements make this an effect worthy of performing.

I carry the gimmick with me in my wallet and I think its a really strong effect considering there is absolutely no sleight of hand. Also I love the fact that these gimmicks are now available in bicycle backs. Improving a classic effect is difficult but Alex has definitely done it with Forgotten Princess.
P3
practice practice perform.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9179 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I have to agree ted, and those complaining that it’s too expensive is quite simply hilarious. Am hoping this ends up across the big pond.
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1237 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
I still don’t see why I couldn’t perform this with my original Princess Cards or the Royal Redo version? The patter is new, but I need to understand why it requires new gaffs.

Having said that, I would prefer the cards to be a mix of picture and number cards, and not just picture cards as in Royal Redo. But then again, I already have those types of cards in other gaffed packages.

I’m intrigued, but need somebody to explain me what the “new” is. If I chose to use it, I will support Alexander Marsch and make a purchase. We need to keep the inventors going, and the twist of the patter is “new” enough for me.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I'm still a bit confused by this presentation. I'm sure it's just me being thick. Can someone who has this try and concisely summarize this effect?

Invisible Deck would be something like: A participant imagines reversing a card in an imaginary deck. The same card is revealed to be the only card reversed in a real deck.

What would be the equivalent for 'Forgotten Princess'.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9179 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I like the fact that the card removed MUST be their thought of card as it’s now missing from the spread.

When THEIR supposed chosen card is returned to the spread it ISN'T their card at all. (WTF moment)

Then, suddenly, without any funny moves, THEIR card has returned to the spread.
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1237 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
And you can chose to play it like a mild hypnosis/suggestion effect if you are in to that sort of thing.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9179 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2019, Vraagaard wrote:
And you can chose to play it like a mild hypnosis/suggestion effect if you are in to that sort of thing.

Indeed. Forgot to mention that fact.
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1707 Posts

Profile of celebrity
I have never been a fan of the Princess effect until I saw this presentation. Although I gave Alex a quote for the effect the biggest compliment I could give is that I purchased a copy for myself at full price (which admittedly I thought was fantastic value for both the cards and the routine).

Although Pegasus has summarised this already I would say the following -

After remembering a single card from a five card poker hand the mentalist removes one card from the group, displaying the other four to the participant showing it becomes apparent that thought of card is no longer in the group. Just when the participant begins to suspect that the card removed must be their thought of card the fifth card is returned back to the group and they are STILL unable to see their card. The mentalist claims that this is because the card was never removed from the group, but instead was removed from their mind. To prove this the mentalist then taps the participants forehead which instantly returns the thought allowing the participant to see/identify their card within the group.

Best Wishes Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9179 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Thanks Micheal. Really looking forward to getting this.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5491 Posts

Profile of videoman
This trick has always worried me so I’ve never been inclined to do it. The reason being is that with any card trick I often have specs who have trouble remembering their chosen card, either the suit or value or both. In this trick, with a jumble of court cards which all look so similar, and the quickness in which they are required to mentally select a card, I fear there will be a significant percentage that won’t be sure if their card was a spade or club etc., so the impact is greatly diminished.

I also wonder if perhaps not using all court cards might help.

Because I’ve always been worried about this I’ve always shied away from this trick. For people that have performed this regularly for years, have you found this to be a valid concern?
mich77
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mich77
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2019, celebrity wrote:
I have never been a fan of the Princess effect until I saw this presentation. Although I gave Alex a quote for the effect the biggest compliment I could give is that I purchased a copy for myself at full price (which admittedly I thought was fantastic value for both the cards and the routine).

Although Pegasus has summarised this already I would say the following -

After remembering a single card from a five card poker hand the mentalist removes one card from the group, displaying the other four to the participant showing it becomes apparent that thought of card is no longer in the group. Just when the participant begins to suspect that the card removed must be their thought of card the fifth card is returned back to the group and they are STILL unable to see their card. The mentalist claims that this is because the card was never removed from the group, but instead was removed from their mind. To prove this the mentalist then taps the participants forehead which instantly returns the thought allowing the participant to see/identify their card within the group.

Best Wishes Michael

I like this presentation and thanks to that I started to like the Princess trick too.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9179 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Not sure why the Princess card trick historically has always used court cards. I’m assuming any suitably gimmicked card could be used? Ie. 6 clubs / 6 spades etc
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5491 Posts

Profile of videoman
With court cards you can ostensibly show the entire card, only needing to cover one corner with your finger.
That's crucial when showing 4 cards without a cover card.
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1763 Posts

Profile of JamieD
I really, really like this version of the PCT! I have never performed this up close because it hasn't really been my style but Alexanders version is absolutely my style! I love the idea of messing with peoples reality and this presentation does it wonderfully! Whilst many might think they know what is going on here, and they're obviously very close, there are a few very clever changes in the gaff set up and the handling which make this gold! I don't think it is priced too high at all! I cannot wait to begin performing this!

Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9179 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I think the card reappearing back in the spread may weaken the effect.

Perhaps better that the card was never there in the first place. Not sure.

No sign of it arriving in the UK yet.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1859 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Andy the Jerx has some really interesting comments about this. He actually hired five lay people to write down their reactions. They coincide with what both Martin and I were alluding to: the plot does not seem clear. None of them could describe it afterwards. Check it out, very insightful stuff.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9179 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Well Andy should post them here.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1859 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Steve and Andy don’t get along. And that is probably the understatement of the year.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9179 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Steve who?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Forgotten Princess by Alexander Marsh (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL