The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Life is a simulation (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
Life is a simulation, plain and simple.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Oh.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Whatever. I still know kung fu.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15874 Posts

Profile of tommy
Have you been taking them red pills again?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
194 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2019, JoshDude849 wrote:

Our overlords are now scrambling to conceal themselves because JoshDude849 spilled the beans on a relatively obscure magic forum.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27065 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Can you tell when the operating system updates? Maybe Pi is a version number? Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
I believe it updates in 5 years. At least that's what I've heard.

Pi could definitely be a version number.

Not sure yet. I'd have to get back to you on that.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1822 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Didn't Frank Zappa once say: Life is nothing but a stale tuna sandwich?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2524 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15874 Posts

Profile of tommy
There is a file on everybody. It starts when one reaches the age of five. Every five years the file is updated. A shrink predicts one's future for the next five years and so on. It has been going on since World War II. Today they might call it the virtual simulation of you.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
That's very compelling tommy.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6321 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:

No it isn't.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4766 Posts

Profile of landmark
How would one know either way? What kind of Turing-like test would you apply?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27065 Posts

As strange as it may be - it is what it is. Till there's evidence to the contrary, it's exactly as described and seen. So far there is not much, if any, evidence for a dynamic or computed space-time environment - e.g. the Holodeck on Star Trek. Einstein objected to introducing non-physical entities/notions into physics. Some modern mathematical models with more than three space and one time dimension may include structures which look like our other equations in physics but so far that's not existence, uniqueness, or computational utility when prediction values of real things.

Take a few cues from Newton:
I. Absolute, true, and mathematical time, of itself, and from its own nature flows equably without regard to anything external, and by another name is called duration: relative, apparent, and common time, is some sensible and external (whether accurate or unequable) measure of duration by the means of motion, which is commonly used instead of true time; such as an hour, a day, a month, a year.

II. Absolute space, in its own nature, without regard to anything external, remains always similar and immovable. Relative space is some movable dimension or measure of the absolute spaces; which our senses determine by its position to bodies; and which is vulgarly taken for immovable space; such is the dimension of a subterraneous, an ćreal, or celestial space, determined by its position in respect of the earth. Absolute and relative space, are the same in figure and magnitude; but they do not remain always numerically the same. For if the earth, for instance, moves, a space of our air, which relatively and in respect of the earth remains always the same, will at one time be one part of the absolute space into which ​the air passes; at another time it will be another part of the same, and so, absolutely understood, it will be perpetually mutable.

A Turing test? hahaha what would a computational modeled space need to do in order to appear empty to our telescopes? Funny idea.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2720 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:

Immaterial; as we are IN the simulation, have no evidence or experience of anything OUTSIDE of the simulation, the simulation is simply the world for us.

It's sort of like the "Star Trek - The Next Generation" episode where Geordi accidently created Professor Moriarty in the holodeck as a character to actually challenge Data's abilities as Sherlock Holmes. It ends with Moriarty escaping from the holodeck, and, along with his girlfriend, stealing a deep space shuttle to see the universe! Then the camera pans back and we find out the Enterprise crew tricked Moriarty and the girl into leaving the holodeck and loading themselves into a multi-tetrabyte hard drive, where they will travel for the rest of their lives, THINKING they are in the real world. The fact that they are still in a simulation is immaterial to them, as they are unaware of it.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27065 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 29, 2019, ed rhodes wrote:
..."Star Trek - The Next Generation" episode where Geordi accidently created Professor Moriarty in the holodeck ...

Aside from the obvious moral problem it's odd that nobody else thought to ask the magic holodeck to provide 'entertainment'... cough cough... hahaha Oh My! Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2720 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2019, ed rhodes wrote:
..."Star Trek - The Next Generation" episode where Geordi accidently created Professor Moriarty in the holodeck ...

Aside from the obvious moral problem it's odd that nobody else thought to ask the magic holodeck to provide 'entertainment'... cough cough... hahaha Oh My! Smile

Actually, it's implied that's what was going on in Quark's place on Deep Space Nine!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27065 Posts

His Holodeck suites offered sapient entities to abuse... I sure hope not. That would put us back several hundred years of moral history.

We're still missing the discussion of computed space having a physics. Hello determinism? And under that shadow are the twins of operating system and base processor faults due to its native physics. You exist. Language exists. And your text conveys meaning. Perhaps not as perfectly as we might desire but nevertheless here we are. Smile Gorgias?

Moving forward to more social concerns - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasshouse_(novel) - how many are you? Are you all as you were or have your been altered? Do any of you have other plans? Smile A fun read from Charles Stross. He's taking a year off between novels involving Laundry mathematics and Merchant Prince geography. Smile
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2524 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2019, landmark wrote:
How would one know either way? What kind of Turing-like test would you apply?

At this point, it can't be proven conclusively, but there is certainly some compelling evidence in favor of the hypothesis:

• Nick Bostrum's original logical hypothesis, which jump-started the entire discussion
  • Quantum Entanglement - which shows that information may not be bounded by space/time
  • Double-slit experiment, particularly the delayed quantum eraser variant - which shows that the "resolution" of the simulation enhances itself the closer we look at the "pixels"
  • Quantized nature of space/time - shows that it is, in principle, possible to simulate the state of every particle in the universe, which would not be possible if the space/time were "smooth"

A handful of physicists have proposed specific experiments to more conclusively answer this question.

Another philosophical idea came out earlier this year stating we should NOT try to find out if we are in a simulation or not, because if we KNEW that we are in a simulation, the simulation is likely to terminate on the basis of our new found knowledge--effectively killing us.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

Come visit Magic Book Report.com!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
194 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On Oct 30, 2019, Steven Keyl wrote:
At this point, it can't be proven conclusively, but there is certainly some compelling evidence in favor of the hypothesis:

• Nick Bostrum's original logical hypothesis, which jump-started the entire discussion
  • Quantum Entanglement - which shows that information may not be bounded by space/time
  • Double-slit experiment, particularly the delayed quantum eraser variant - which shows that the "resolution" of the simulation enhances itself the closer we look at the "pixels"
  • Quantized nature of space/time - shows that it is, in principle, possible to simulate the state of every particle in the universe, which would not be possible if the space/time were "smooth"

Is it possible to live in a quantum universe that is NOT a simulation? If so, then to me these arguments aren't too persuasive (yet), because then the simulation theory is an unnecessary leap. Also, what kind of "universe" would the simulators live in? Would that be a quantum universe? Are they simulated at yet a higher level?

Quote:

Another philosophical idea came out earlier this year stating we should NOT try to find out if we are in a simulation or not, because if we KNEW that we are in a simulation, the simulation is likely to terminate on the basis of our new found knowledge--effectively killing us.

Why? Perhaps that would just be another opportunity for our simulators to observe our behavior under those conditions.

Interesting discussion for sure, but to me the whole simulation thing is a bit too far-fetched. But by all means, let's keep investigating the universe.

Ron Smile
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Life is a simulation (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL