The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Cubio Apple (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Does anyone know where I can find the gimmick and fake to turn an apple into a cubio? The effect is an old one and is in several books. But I only saw it on the market once about 30 years ago. It appeared that you were pushing a nail into an apple to create a hole for a string. But some devious work was already done.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Did some more searching. The effect was known by many names, Obedient Orange, Obedient Fruit, Obedient Apple, etc. Many of the major dealers carried versions. It was especially popular from the 1890s through the 1930s.

FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Ah, found a version. Though it is pricey.

jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
It is described in Hoffmann's "More Magic" on page 131. The metal gimmick mentioned is not needed, but you will need an embroidery needle from a sewing shop to pierce the fruit and thread the ribbon through it.

Another solution is shown in my "Billy Blockhead" - WJ16-07.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
It is described in Hoffmann's "More Magic" on page 131. The metal gimmick mentioned is not needed, but you will need an embroidery needle from a sewing shop to pierce the fruit and thread the ribbon through it.

Another solution is shown in my "Billy Blockhead" - WJ16-07.

Yes, it is page 279 in my copy of More Magic under "THE OBEDIENT BALL (Improved.)"

There is another version in which a nail is used to first puncture the fruit and then the cord is more freely inserted, even by an audience member.

When you say "the metal gimmick mentioned is not needed" do you mean it is able to be done ungimmicked or that a different type of gimmick is used? I would be very interested in an ungimmicked variation!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The clues are all there in "More Magic." Time to get an embroidery needle and some ribbon (with texture as also described in "More Magic") and then stop by the grocery for a bag of apples (they are less "juicy" than oranges and can stand being punctured several times in the interests of magic and science). For making the fruit rise UP the ribbon, check Qua-Fiki's Video on WJ16-07.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
The clues are all there in "More Magic." Time to get an embroidery needle and some ribbon (with texture as also described in "More Magic") and then stop by the grocery for a bag of apples (they are less "juicy" than oranges and can stand being punctured several times in the interests of magic and science).

I think I am tracking with you now. Are you suggesting using the basic arrangement of the obedient ball in Modern Magic page 302? That is a very good thought for an apple.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't believe $30 is overly expensive, if there is a gimmick included, considering the current inflation rate and cost of goods today.

https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/obedient-orange/

This looks like a good magicians fooler as well as mystery for non-magicians. Something old is new again.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2019, Bill Hegbli wrote:
I don't believe $30 is overly expensive, if there is a gimmick included, considering the current inflation rate and cost of goods today.

https://www.vikingmagic.com/product/obedient-orange/

This looks like a good magicians fooler as well as mystery for non-magicians. Something old is new again.

It indeed does include the gimmick.

On price I see both sides. It is a historic, published method which was heavily marketed for 50 cents in its heyday. Taking into account inflation, this comes to about $6.00. On the other hand, I like to encourage manufacturers to keep such magic alive. It is no longer a mass merchandised trick so a lot fewer units are being sold to spread cost over. So from that perspective it is reasonable. And the effect is strong.

Bill,you've convinced me. It is reasonably priced for today's magic market.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Too bad. For about eight bucks you could have had the fruit going up the ribbon as well as down. A.F.A.H.M.A.S.P.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Cubio Apple (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL