The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Morgan dollars versus Peace dollars (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
Any thoughts on Morgan dollars versus Peace dollars in coin work? Better, thicker, thinner? I'm going to start to explore some stuff with dollars and would love to hear any thoughts from the more experienced coinworkers here at the Café.

Thanks,
Frank
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
199 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
Hey Frank,

Morgan dollars are certainly more beautiful than Peace dollars I find. Uncirculated Morgans seem to be a bit thicker than Peace dollars. It seems you can better determine which side is facing away from the palm easier on the Morgans when you use your little finger to brush the face. Maybe I'm wrong but the well worn (soft) Morgans are more easily attained and much nicer to handle than peace dollars of a similar finish.

Regards,
Brian
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think Morgans look better. That's all I notice.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I have used both. Currently I am using the Peace dollars after using Morgans for quite some time. It's very subjective but, for the moves and palms that I use, I find the Peace dollars have a better "hold" to them. If you need soft coins for some effects then you'll find the Morgans are more plentiful. You can save money by using Ikes. They are cheap and readily available. They are pretty unattractive coins however.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I personally use Peace dollars over Morgans. They stand out in contrast to the dark appearance of the Morgans. I think that helps greatly for people standing far away.

Daryl gave me a tip to make them softer sounding. I placed them on a sanding stone on each side moving in a continuous figure eight. It took a while for four coins, but they sound like a dream. Or at least the lack of sound is like a dream. Smile

This helps with palming too. Since you are evenly getting the coin by going in the figure eight, the edges are in a way sharpened evenly around.

It's best to do this with Peace dollars, because it doesn't detract from the beauty of the coin. I've tried this with a couple Morgans, it made them look awkward.

Anyway, I just think they are a prettier coin when compared to the Morgan. Smile
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Everyone's hands are different...but I use Morgans.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27158 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Mickey uses Peace dollars.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I have to go with the Morgans myself. I'm mostly a 1/2 dollar person, but when using dollars, it's always Morgans for me. Also, it's purely a visual thing for me, I don't really notice a difference when it comes to palming them.

Best,
Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I am primarily a half dollar user, but when I have to use bigger coins...then Morgans are the way to go.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
I've found Morgans to look prettier.

I do use Liberty halfs for close-up work though. The big coins are for stuff like 3-fly, or David Williamson's pick-up version of chink-a-chink.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Well... I used to collect them. Morgans are beautiful!
lefty
View Profile
New user
Paris, France
17 Posts

Profile of lefty
Hi everybody

I use two kinds of Morgan dollars. One is the soft Morgan dollars and the other is gold Morgan dollars.

My friend, Reed, saw them and liked them.
"May The Magic Be With You..."
www.lefty-miracles.com
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1022 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Though I had Todd make me years ago a 1923 Peace U3F, with Bob's permission, I do like the Morgan dollar and have concentrated my custom gaff coin collection on this design; it's such a gorgeous classic looking coin.
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
I used to collect, too, and I must say that the Peace dollar is one of the most beautiful coins in the history of U.S. coins. I love those Peace dollars. Morgans aren't bad, either.
Chris Thibault
View Profile
Elite user
Massachusetts
469 Posts

Profile of Chris Thibault
I prefer Morgans.
-Chris
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Where do I get some Morgan dollars? How much are they? Is there a cheaper place to get them?
Logic Defied
Vincent
View Profile
Loyal user
New York Metro Area
270 Posts

Profile of Vincent
You can log onto eBay and do a search for Morgan dollars. They should have a pretty large selection.

You may want to try contacting one of the coin shops that does business on eBay and ask them if they have Morgans that are 'soft', in order to save some money.

You can probably expect to pay $10 per soft Morgan.

Hope this helped you out a little.

Take Care,
Vincent Smile Smile Smile
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
Ya, I contacted the local coin shop here and they said it would be about 20 CAD for one coin. Anyway, I'll keep my eyes on ebay (I'm active on ebay anyway) and see if I can pick some up. Are they worth it? When doing a Miser's Dream would you think that it would be just better to use lightweight plastic coins?

Alym
Logic Defied
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
$10! That's a lot for soft coins. For my Morgans I paid $5 each. For my Peace, which I obtained after my Morgans were stolen, I paid $7 each. I would shop around a bit before paying $10 each.

I prefer the Peace due to the fact that they supposedly have more silver content than the Morgans. They have a beautiful ring to them, that Morgans do not have.

C
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Miser's Dream needs loud, authentic sounding coins. Buy the cheapest on ebay. I got some recently very low priced. For stage you don't need mint condition coins, smooth worn ones are best... but it is the SOUND you need authentic.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Morgan dollars versus Peace dollars (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL