The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » JBL EON Speakers (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
I'm researching new professional sound system options and I've read several recommendations for the JBL EON speakers. I'd love to get an idea of how the three sizes compare in performance. Since all three are listed as 1000 watts I was wondering if anyone here knows from experience, how many people a pair of each model listed below could cover? We can assume an indoor venue.

JBL EON615
JBL EON612
JBL EON610

Thanks in advance!
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I have the 515 series so I can't directly answer your question but I highly recommend them.

I've used them indoors and out, just for basic music playback and a simple mic, nothing fancy. For a 1,000 seat theatre with good acoustics they work great for what I need (not rock concert level music... just background music).
Also have used them in small outdoor amphitheaters.... like maybe 500 people spread out on bleachers. They worked great, didn't even feel like I was pushing them.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree with what thomasR said above. I own 8 pairs of these and use them in all types of situations and they perform great. The 15" EONs offer greater bottom end when used full-range without a sub.

I have also used the 12' EONs for inward monitors on stage and they do the job greatly, you just can't get the bass as with the 15"s.

I would highly recommend them to both performers and venues.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Thank you thomasR and Mindpro! This is great feedback. I'm amazed at the space /# of people they can cover. Mindpro, your posts on this topic are so incredibly helpful. In fact, that's what led me to these speakers.

Physical space is a factor for me and so it's also good to hear that the smaller 12's are also great and just lack some bass.

Even though I've been a magician for years, I have more understanding of film/tv audio than live, so this may be a noob question, but... can any (not powered) mixer be used with these speakers since the speakers themselves are powered?

Thanks!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes. The speakers come with a small "mixer" input section on the back (where the mic/line inputs are, treble and bass settings) but yes, you can also use any non-powered mixer as well. Many do this if they need more than the minimal inputs included on the speaker backside, or if they want to control the mixer from a distance away from the speakers.

So to be clear, your mics, and any other items such as iPod, laptop, CD or mp3 files/player, phone, instruments, etc. would be connected to the non-powered mixer, then you would run from the output of the mixer into the Line level input(s) on the (built-in mixer) on the back of the speaker with shielded cables.

Glad to help.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Thank you, Mindpro!

While having a mixer a distance away from stage is the first thought I had, there's also something appealing about having the option of walking up to a speaker myself, without walking offstage, and adjust from behind if I'm alone and something has gone awry.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Christopher, with a long canoe you can also place the mixer on your side table, or anywhere nearer to you onstage.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Thanks, Arthur. Did you mean, "long cable?"
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I recently picked up a JBL EON set and then grabbed extra 25 foot audio cables. For the venues I tend to work, this is an excellent set up. Glad to see Mindpro endorse them, too - I know next to nothing about audio and this seemed like the best option for the price.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Thanks. Christopher, which models did you get? 610, 612, 615?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Man, I'm hoping it was a canoe!

I have used them for probably the last 15 years or so (maybe longer, I've used JBL since teh 80's long before powered speakers were around and more ocmmon), covering three different generations of these. This EON series has never failed me like others had at some point (Bose, Peavey, Yorkville, EV). If you look you can usually find some good deals on them, especially right before or when a new updated version is about to hit the market.

They are quite universal - you can use just one (mono) for more intimate events or venues (coffee shops, home events, background music in a confined area), or you can use two in stereo, you can daisy-chain four together for even greater coverage, and you can even use them as side fill or floor monitors for performances where on stage sounds is just as important as the mains (front of house) - for hypnosis shows, improv groups and other types of performance where quality hearing on stage is required they do quite well.

My word of advice for the mobile performer is to get the JBL EON padded carrying cases for them and they will remain new-like forever, and protect them in transit, weather, and from others not as caring as us. There are other covers and cases like Gator, and others, but I've always enjoyed the JBL padded ones. Includes zipper compartments for cables, adapters, and misc.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/......rc=aw.ds
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
These are great workers. If you're using them for playback where you need a lot of low end the 615's are going to give you more sub. If it's for voice only the 610's are fine.
Ray Pierce
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2019, Christopher Moro wrote:
Thanks, Arthur. Did you mean, "long cable?"

Haha! Yes, I don't know where "canoe" came from!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I am using the EON208P. Much smaller (300w) but good for the venues I tend to work that actually require amplification. It's got plenty of inputs and we can run background music via Bluetooth. For someone like me who knows little about audio it takes care of everything, more or less plug and play - just adjust volume to the correct levels and good to go.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Mindpro, Arthur, Ray Pierce and Christopher, thanks for all the input.

Funny tidbit. I went to Guitar Center to see all 3 JBL EONs in person. Unfortunately the 615's are too large for me to transport, so naturally I wanted to see the 612's but those were on display far up, making it difficult to ascertain relative size. As an employee was answering my questions, he proceeded to try to sell me on the Yamaha StagePas 1K - this is one of those line array's that look like a thin beam about 6-7 feet tall, inserted into a sub at the base, into which a mixer is built. At first I thought it was the Bose L1. I quickly saw JBL, Yamaha and others have released similar line arrays. He felt extremely confident in this product.

I was surprised he was selling this to me given the fact I said I want to cover small groups as well as large ones and specifically wanted to know how many people the EON 612's could cover. He said the Yamaha 1K line array can cover 150 people. When I asked how many people two JBL EON 612's could cover he couldn't (or wouldn't) give an answer. He said the EON's may win with wattage but the line array will give you the bass that the EON 612's just can't. That's when my benefit of the doubt started to wane and it sounded more like a commission-based sell.

I may be too old fashioned or not educated enough, but I can't see how one of these new all-in-one's (especially 500w each channel) can be better than two speaker cabinets at 1000w each.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Why are the 615's too big? They just weight more than you want to carry?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2019, Christopher Moro wrote:
I went to Guitar Center to see all 3 JBL EONs in person... That's when my benefit of the doubt started to wane and it sounded more like a commission-based sell.

I may be too old fashioned or not educated enough, but I can't see how one of these new all-in-one's (especially 500w each channel) can be better than two speaker cabinets at 1000w each.

I'm not sure how much you are willing to learn about sound systems, or to look more into your Guitar Center sentiments above, but here is a link to a Café thread I get may inquiries about and that many new to sound and audio for a performer have found very helpful and insightful.

There is much great info in this thread and follows a newbie's journey from an absolute novice who states he knows nothing about sound to his final outcome. I till tell you there is a bit of typical Café nonsense to wade through but as I said most have found it very valuable. The Guitar Center scenario as you described is also in it as well. Enjoy...if you dare, lol.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......&start=0
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 11, 2019, thomasR wrote:
Why are the 615's too big? They just weight more than you want to carry?

It's purely space in my car.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 11, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2019, Christopher Moro wrote:
I went to Guitar Center to see all 3 JBL EONs in person... That's when my benefit of the doubt started to wane and it sounded more like a commission-based sell.

I'm not sure how much you are willing to learn about sound systems, or to look more into your Guitar Center sentiments above, but here is a link to a Café thread I get may inquiries about and that many new to sound and audio for a performer have found very helpful and insightful.

There is much great info in this thread and follows a newbie's journey from an absolute novice who states he knows nothing about sound to his final outcome. I till tell you there is a bit of typical Café nonsense to wade through but as I said most have found it very valuable. The Guitar Center scenario as you described is also in it as well. Enjoy...if you dare, lol.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......&start=0

Thank you, Mindpro. I have read several parts of this thread but I don't think from beginning to end. On it....
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

That was an absolutely, amazingly valuable thread. One of the best I've ever read. I recommend everyone read it. Twice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » JBL EON Speakers (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL