The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Penetration illusions (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of soleil
Hi everybody,

would you please suggest some entertaining plots for a penetration illusion? (walking through mirror, steel plate etc)

I think penetration illusions could be tough to "sell" to an audience. Who thinks the same? They are somehow different from other types of illusions.
Copperfield and Henning present the Mirror penetration very simply, with almost no plot. They say in advance what they will attempt to do and they just walk through.

Could you please share your thoughts about this type of illusions and suggest some plot ideas?

Thank you so much!

Best,

Soleil
"Art is the Artist. The Artist is God."- Goete
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
845 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Walking through a mirror, Wind Shear (crawling through an industrial fan), Interlude, Thru Steel (both the Andre' Kole and Smoky Mountain Magic versions), Vortex,

yeah I can't think of hearing too many stories connected to it. There's the Steinmeyer Brick Wall which can be connected to Houdini, also Houdini's Rope which is also connected to Houdini, and the Steinmeyer Jail Cell which has some nice opportunities for a story, although the only time I've seen it performed is was just a random prop, with no story attached to it.

Brett Daniels walked through a spinning blade of an airplane jet... that was connected to the appearance of a fighter jet at the end of his show. Trying to think of anything else story wise that I can remember.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22042 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Soleil, The plot is the object you are penetrating through. Otherwise, you would have to take the audience to the place that you will be talking about. So the point is the object, and that is why, the audience is invited to examine the item, sheet of steel, mirror, etc.

Basically you are asking, how can I justify the prop. Well, it is your show or illusion, and that is what I selected to show my audience that hired me to present a magic show, and an impossible illusion. Trying to justify your reason for selection is different for each individual.

No one can tell you why you selected an illusion, it was your choice, not another person's.

There is an illusion. that Owen Magic sold, called, "Alice through The Looking Glass", in this case the title tells you a possible story, talking about Alice in Wonderland. Harry Potter also comes to mind.

I Have never read a story, but maybe you have, of a robber robbing a place and left no means of escape. But you need to know the place, and the conditions of the, lets say Bank to reference it. As in, the bank only had glass windows, and none were broken. So, you show your solution as to how the robber left the bank with the loot.

But, being you need to justify your illusion, you could only be satisfied with actually performing the illusion in the bank that was robbed. I don't think ticket sales would work, as the bank would not agree to have a thousand people in their bank at one time, so you can demonstrate your theory of how the robber made his escape.

You are confusing reality with the performance of an illusion show. Magic is not real, but Copperfield comes closest to perfection. Please don't judge the most successful magician that has ever existed.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
845 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Soleil,

Do you happen to have Steinmeyer's books Device & Illusion or Complete Jarret?

Device & Illusion has "Houdini's Rope" and Jarret has the Jail cell illusion. Both have patter that create a story and premise for the illusion. The Jarret Jail Cell was later perfected by Steinmeyer into one of my personal favorites... you can see Alexander & Puck perform it on Fool Us with a story about Alcatraz.

One of Steinmeyer's books has an illusion where you walk through a velvet rope... I'll see if I can find it tonight.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Yes, the velvet rope lends itself to lots of ideas.

Henning's walking through was the culmination of a larger routine that included the flexible mirror and revolved around the inspiration of the story of Alice through the looking glass. So it was a logical build of a concept up to the most spectacular.

I designed a performance story for an outdoor faire but it was never performed as the gig fell through. The story was about a young magician who fell in love with the lord's daughter. But the lord was against a marriage. However tradition was that if the magician could pick up and return her dropped handkerchief he could have her hand. To prevent this the king had his knights drive spears into the ground encircling him as with a cage. If the magician lifted a spear he would be killed on the spot for having a weapon in the presence of royalty. So what he did was take off his cape and magically walk through some spears without touching them. Thus he was able to retrieve the handkerchief and win his love.

The method was to be a simple t**** h*** approach like walking through a board. But I think the idea of having examined spears placed in a ring around was somewhat unique and it would be easily constructed and transported. At least that was the thought.
David_N
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, England
82 Posts

Profile of David_N
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2019, thomasR wrote:
Soleil,

Do you happen to have Steinmeyer's books Device & Illusion or Complete Jarret?

Device & Illusion has "Houdini's Rope" and Jarret has the Jail cell illusion. Both have patter that create a story and premise for the illusion. The Jarret Jail Cell was later perfected by Steinmeyer into one of my personal favorites... you can see Alexander & Puck perform it on Fool Us with a story about Alcatraz.

One of Steinmeyer's books has an illusion where you walk through a velvet rope... I'll see if I can find it tonight.

Hi Thomas

I suspect you might be thinking of 'Walking Through a Velvet Rope' by Craig Dickens who featured it in Rand Woodbury's 'Illusionworks II', page 173. It has novelty value and also a rational plot for it's performance.
thomasR
View Profile
Special user
845 Posts

Profile of thomasR
That explains why I couldn’t find it in any of the Steinmeyer books! Yes I have all of the illisionworks books so that must be it. I’ll have to pull out volume II tonight and give it another look.

Thanks!
FrankFindley
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Oh, noticed nobody mentioned Devin Knight's Time Barrier plot. It is a proven crowd pleaser with instructions available from Library.com.

https://www.lybrary.com/time-barrier-illusion-p-746670.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Penetration illusions (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL