The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Who makes the best & worst gaffed coins. (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2363 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I know it has been asked, but times have changed, business gets sold, older companies get surpassed... you get the picture. So from real world experience, who is the best and worst.
For me, sterling is the worst and Tango is better, but I cant imagine the best. perhaps, Lassen, Schoolcraft or Copeland?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3208 Posts

Profile of warren
The best for me is Lassen and the worst is between Sterling and Tango from past experience.
Aljaz Son
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Aljaz Son
In my personal experience Roy Kueppers is an excellent machinist and delivers quality work for a reasonable price.

Tango is also a nice resource for gaffed coins, is the cheaper (which doesn't always mean less quality) option for most gaffs of US currency AND is the only maker of EU gaffs and gimmicks that I know of.
Christian de Punto
View Profile
New user
Hagen Germany
44 Posts

Profile of Christian de Punto
Based in europe, I m using tango coins. no reason to complain. at the magnet*** fli*** I had to search very long to find how to open Smile
the 2€-sh*** fits perfect and the fol***-2€ is very smart cutted.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1942 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Reading the question as looking for a single answer....

"Who makes the best & worst gaffed coins?"

Based on what I've both seen (actually handled) and read, the answer is Roy Kueppers.
Seriously - I've seen people rave about the quality of the items and service they've received, and others rant at the poor quality and poor follow-up for their orders.

Runner up in this category is Tango, but rather than seemingly random variation in experiences, it's more their early stuff was not great, but they have steadily improved.

----

IMHO, Lassen is simply the best, hands down.

Interesting you mention Copeland. I'm a big fan of everything he's put out, his custom Tiger Tan and Kingdom coins are great, but unless I've missed something, he doesn't (yet) make or sell gaffed coins. If/when he does, I have no doubt there will be no compromises on quality.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2363 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Inigmntoya,
I am a bit confused, are you saying Roy K. is best or worst?
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
474 Posts

Profile of karnak
He’s saying Roy K is both.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1942 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2019, karnak wrote:
He’s saying Roy K is both.

Both in terms of being at both ends of the spectrum, but definitely not displacing Lassen at the high end.
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
474 Posts

Profile of karnak
Yes, I oversimplified a bit, just to make the point. Roy K seems hot and cold, inconsistently delivering both very good and very bad. But still, Lassen is tops.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1576 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2019, The Baldini wrote:
Inigmntoya,

Yes
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1576 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2019, BanzaiMagic wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2019, The Baldini wrote:
Inigmntoya,

Yes

On a serious note, I own some shelled sets from Roy and they are looser than I would like. Admittedly, I am spoiled by my Lassen sets, and Roy’s sets are usable, but there is a big difference in quality.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4668 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Although I have not been a “team Kueppers” guy in the past. Not to say I have any issue with quality, I just heard so many horror stories about no follow up once ordered, super long waits and the line. I have always bought his products from retailers and never had a problem with quality or getting them within a week (depending on the shop I ordered from).

Recently, as I have seen on Instagram, Roy has moved to Las Vegas NV so I am more that willing to put the past in the past and give him another try now that he is US based rather that his old residence/ business being Canada based. I assure you I have nothing against Canada that has not already been covered by the town of South Park (kidding LOL 😂) I just think that being in Las Vegas seems like a great step that will make him more accessible by email, phone and possibly in person (if he in fact has some kind of storefront there. I do not follow him that close so I do not know the answers here.

My point is the most important part in my opinion - is that I/we should let the past be the past and give him another chance/look. As I also stated, the items of his I purchased from 3rd party vendors has Been great quality.

As for Todd Lassen, I still love his stuff and consider him the top craftsman which justifies the pricing of his goods. Unfortunately, I feel he is leaning toward, if not already in a semi-retirement mode ( I may have misread some of his blog posts and inadvertently listened to some rumors but even so, it will come eventually.

Mark Mason and Bob Swadling have superb quality for the price and are usually my number 1 call on items they carry or can custom make for me. I believe Bob is retired or retiring soon but Mark can do a lot himself and I think Bob taught someone his methods to take over where he will leave off so they will/should be around a while.

Schoolcraft is hit and miss when sets are available but is an excellent choice. You may have better luck contacting him directly and getting your items custom made. Full disclaimer, I have not ever had the privilege of buying from him so these are speculation.

Johnson... I have said it a million times and will a million more - Johnson is the working mans tools. Fantastic items with great quality at the most reasonable prices in the industry IMHO (as well as many others) these are the ones I think active workers should use for the most part along with a set or two from the other guys that are unique and you can afford.

Tango. I am sorry to say that in my opinion they rate with Sterling, Empire and other low end gaffs. Don’t get me wrong. They have a place. They are a great way to spend less on a set and play with it to see if it is a set you would want to buy at a premium from one of the bigger names. Also, contrary to this thought, the TUC is surprisingly great as a gaff and in quality and I consider it one of the best new items from anyone in the coin business that has come out in years.

There are others I have left out because I have not had any dealings with them and do not know anyone who has. As far as I can tell, there are some really great ones out there besides the ones I have mentioned so far.’

The original question by the OP usually turns into a “my dad is better than your dad” thread of answers and has been asked hundreds of times on here. This would usually make me just want to stay out and not comment these days but he did stipulate a good point. It has been a year or two and things do change, people do retire and new folks do pop up. My answer (rather than who is best and who is worse, although it could be taken that way) is meant more to offer different options and known pluses as well as flaws.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3208 Posts

Profile of warren
Poof-Daddy what a great post Smile
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2076 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
I think Todd is the best for coins, then Jamie Schoolcraft. I haven't dealt with Roy K. personally but I do have some of this work and it's comparable to Jamies.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1907 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Roy K is definitely hit or miss.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Who makes the best & worst gaffed coins. (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL