The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » WOW Money - **New Gimmick** by Lloyd Barnes & Masuda (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
898 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Martin, if you repeat the words "slimline wallet/wallet" enough times, it becomes reality. Anything can be your slimline wallet, such as a discarded candy wrapper. Just stare at it and repeat "you are a slimline wallet" 5 times, and it becomes one.

All the best,
Dan
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
But magic doesn't have to make sense does it? Isn't that one of the bigger differences between it and *whispers* mentalism...
I've asked to be banned
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1581 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
I love the card to wallet idea. The piece visually appearing looks great.

Joel
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2019, IAIN wrote:
But magic doesn't have to make sense does it? Isn't that one of the bigger differences between it and *whispers* mentalism...

If it doesn't have to make sense then there's no need to pretend that weird bit of plastic is a wallet. Just proudly proclaim you're going to push a coffee stirrer through a bit of plastic and...voila! The corner of a playing card is now attached to a bank note!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
But claiming it's a type of wallet adds to it. As in, people understand the term wallet and what it does. There's all kinds of funny looking wallets out there...

Look at that release, supernova...makes no sense going by the trailer, but it's magic and it kinda doesn't matter...that's how I see it... This isn't mental magic or mentalism...so it's ok for Eugene burger to bring out a tiny candle holder, or to use a weird looking wallet, or to transport a folded card to a lemon that you have in your pocket 😃
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Actually, doesn't matter does it! If you're a mentalist you wouldn't go near this anyway...so let them have at it eh Smile
I've asked to be banned
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
But claiming it's a type of wallet adds to it. As in, people understand the term wallet and what it does. There's all kinds of funny looking wallets out there...

Look at that release, supernova...makes no sense going by the trailer, but it's magic and it kinda doesn't matter...that's how I see it... This isn't mental magic or mentalism...so it's ok for Eugene burger to bring out a tiny candle holder, or to use a weird looking wallet, or to transport a folded card to a lemon that you have in your pocket 😃

Your argument that it doesn't matter that it makes no sense would be fine, except that the entire pitch of this release is that the original 'Wow' made no sense because it used a weird plastic sleeve. They -and you -can't have it both ways.

"Everyone knows WOW, everyone can perform WOW... but not everyone wants to. Putting a playing card inside a sleeve looks odd to most audiences."

Whereas putting a coffee stirrer through a plastic sleeve is an everyday event.

"With the 2019 WOW Money gimmick, because it's introduced as your slimline RFID wallet, you can now perform WOW without causing suspicion."

No one will be remotely suspicious that you're calling that weird bit of plastic your "wallet".

"Take advantage of these flawless visuals with something that looks natural to your audiences."

As plastic sleeves pretending to be RFID wallets go, it's one of the most natural on the market.

I mean, it's the same shape as an RFID wallet, but that's as far as the resemblance goes. A top hat is a similar shape to a plant pot but the old school magicians didn't claim a top hat WAS a plant pot in order to explain why they were pulling flowers out of it. Magic makes no sense? Fine. If that's your approach -glory in it!

They should just have said you can now do 'Wow' with money and spared us the BS.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yeah, I getcha, I agree with you now...
I've asked to be banned
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
Yeah, I getcha, I agree with you now...

I knew you'd see sense in the end! Smile

Plus! If it is (hopefully) an identical shape and size to the original you can introduce it as a weird gizmo you picked up from Japan -demonstrate how it can change one playing card into another and then say -look! It also works with money! Double the magic and half the BS!
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I think WOW original was a fantastic release .
It’s so magical and if you make a routine out of it like Lee Smith has done it absolutely kills .
As Iain says magicians often carry around weird props and sometimes do illogical things .
I never refer to mine as a wallet and as I do a 2 stage close up routine with it I never need to justify it anyway .
I personally think this gets underused and the magical aspect is so strong it’s worth it’s slight weakness .
Your a magician it’s accepted you can bring props .
Let’s face it most effects have weaknesses and not all have such a strong bit of eye candy like this effect has Gaz 🙂
Lloyd Barnes
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of Lloyd Barnes
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback both positive and negative. This isn't going to fit everyone, there's not many pieces of magic that do. And that's ok.

Personally, massive, envelope sized magicians' wallets look more out of place on my person than this does. Yet, that does not mean that for a lot of magicians, giant card to wallet wallets don't work. As I'm sure most of you can attest to that. It's interesting to note though, that if the first time a big wallet was seen/released was this year, there'd be uproar from magicians screaming that they "don't look natural and they'll never fly!". Alas, we all know they do.

I feel the same about the Cross Cut force. I use it every single time I perform but if it were to be published for the very first time today, it'd get destroyed completely.

I've been using this everywhere for months and with no sugar coating (and because WOW isn't my creation, there's no fear of being arrogant), it is !@#$%^& brilliant. It strikes a chord with spectators that you don't often hit. And most satisfyingly, I'll often get someone asking "If you can do magic, make some money appear!" or "If you can do magic, turn this fiver into a twenty!" and I don't even have to introduce the effect, it's just ready to go. This is the best kind of magic in my eyes; when you accept a 'challenge' or solve a 'problem'.

When I do introduce it, I don't come in shouting or telling my audience "Hey, look at this! It's a slimline wallet, ok?!". I just bring it out and place it on the table without drawing attention to it. I leave it card side down, so they can see a bank card, business card and cash. They fill in the blank themselves that it's a 'slim line wallet' or just 'wallet'. Or, I'll ask someone to hold onto "my wallet". That's it.

As always, it's on you to have your props make sense or not. I've seen Lee Smith perform WOW and it's incredible! And for myself, I tend to not peform many card tricks but always loved WOW by Masuda, so found a way of making it fit my style.

I really appreciate everyone talking about this though. Masuda is an incredible thinker in the magic world and without him, this conversation wouldn't be happening. WOW is a work of genius. So thank you all for taking the time to get involved and personally, I want to thank Masuda publicly for allowing me to work with him to bring this to all of you.

For those that are already enjoying this, I'd love to see what presentations and new visuals you've come up with!

https://www.ellusionist.com/wow-money.html

Cheers,
Lloyd
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Surprised there's not been a business card version made yet...with a squiggle that becomes a drawing or something...
I've asked to be banned
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2023 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2019, Lloyd Barnes wrote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback both positive and negative. This isn't going to fit everyone, there's not many pieces of magic that do. And that's ok.

Personally, massive, envelope sized magicians' wallets look more out of place on my person than this does. Yet, that does not mean that for a lot of magicians, giant card to wallet wallets don't work. As I'm sure most of you can attest to that. It's interesting to note though, that if the first time a big wallet was seen/released was this year, there'd be uproar from magicians screaming that they "don't look natural and they'll never fly!". Alas, we all know they do.

I feel the same about the Cross Cut force. I use it every single time I perform but if it were to be published for the very first time today, it'd get destroyed completely.

I've been using this everywhere for months and with no sugar coating (and because WOW isn't my creation, there's no fear of being arrogant), it is !@#$%^& brilliant. It strikes a chord with spectators that you don't often hit. And most satisfyingly, I'll often get someone asking "If you can do magic, make some money appear!" or "If you can do magic, turn this fiver into a twenty!" and I don't even have to introduce the effect, it's just ready to go. This is the best kind of magic in my eyes; when you accept a 'challenge' or solve a 'problem'.

When I do introduce it, I don't come in shouting or telling my audience "Hey, look at this! It's a slimline wallet, ok?!". I just bring it out and place it on the table without drawing attention to it. I leave it card side down, so they can see a bank card, business card and cash. They fill in the blank themselves that it's a 'slim line wallet' or just 'wallet'. Or, I'll ask someone to hold onto "my wallet". That's it.

As always, it's on you to have your props make sense or not. I've seen Lee Smith perform WOW and it's incredible! And for myself, I tend to not peform many card tricks but always loved WOW by Masuda, so found a way of making it fit my style.

I really appreciate everyone talking about this though. Masuda is an incredible thinker in the magic world and without him, this conversation wouldn't be happening. WOW is a work of genius. So thank you all for taking the time to get involved and personally, I want to thank Masuda publicly for allowing me to work with him to bring this to all of you.

For those that are already enjoying this, I'd love to see what presentations and new visuals you've come up with!

https://www.ellusionist.com/wow-money.html

Cheers,
Lloyd

Thoughtful response. I appreciate it. Will/does this get bent up or warped in a front jeans pocket (or back, for that matter)? I can see it playing like you said. But as I use my wallet, I'd have this be a dummy. Either way, how robust is this carried in a pocket over time?
Vincenzo
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
215 Posts

Profile of Vincenzo
I'm not 100% sold on how well the WOW sleeve can be sold as an everyday wallet, but I really love how WOW looks and I'm really excited to see the technology being applied to other things aside from cards, so I'm very interested. The line in the ad copy, that this is "one of a series of new WOW gimmicks in development with Lloyd Barnes & Masuda," does that mean there are a few new applications coming down the line?

Also, without having this in my hands, I can't be sure, but couldn't this also be used this as a peek wallet? You slide a billet between your credit cards and the bill, or between several bills in the wallet, and then you can get the peek any time then immediately show both sides opaque?
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2023 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2019, Vincenzo wrote:
Also, without having this in my hands, I can't be sure, but couldn't this also be used this as a peek wallet? You slide a billet between your credit cards and the bill, or between several bills in the wallet, and then you can get the peek any time then immediately show both sides opaque?

Oh snap. Nice. That would be a fantastic additional use.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
898 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Iain, regarding the business card version... someone did make one about 10 years ago or something... I remember seeing it. The idea is good, but the quality of the product wasn't great.

All the best,
Dan
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2019, dyoung wrote:
Iain, regarding the business card version... someone did make one about 10 years ago or something... I remember seeing it. The idea is good, but the quality of the product wasn't great.

All the best,
Dan

Similar to the Wow gimmick which was part of the Dynamo beginners Magic set for kids which sold millions. Good luck. Lol.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
898 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Pegasus, wasn't that just a playing card version? I don't understand your comment? I don't need luck, I have nothing to do with this...

All the best,
Dan
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2019, dyoung wrote:
Pegasus, wasn't that just a playing card version? I don't understand your comment? I don't need luck, I have nothing to do with this...

All the best,
Dan

I mean good luck using a magic gimmick that has been exposed worldwide by a famous magician, card or cash.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2019, no2ss wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2019, Paul Rathbun wrote:
Not trying to be a Debbie downer but how does this look anything like a slimline wallet or money clip?

I think Wow is visually great but they still haven’t cracked the mystery of what that strange looking card holder actually is.

Agreed. Plus, at this price? Seems like at the $45 range, would make much more sense if it looked more like a real minimalist/slimline wallet. I guess they're trying to argue that the weird look can be explained as an "RFID" protective wallet, but... it doesn't look like any RFID protective wallet either. Why not build the WOW gimmick into the ID holder of a wallet or something instead? That, at least, could have a more ready/credible explanation.

Don’t worry. The wallet is coming as an add on. This is going to work out very expensive.
Smile Smile

couldn't we just ad this to the back? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XD7......F8&psc=1
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » WOW Money - **New Gimmick** by Lloyd Barnes & Masuda (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL