The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I did my first "big" show! (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Kinder
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of David Kinder
Hello,

First time posting after lurking for a couple of years. I took some classes at the Magic Castle a few years back and have been hesitating to do an audition for membership. Just recently, a magician friend of mine challenged me to just go ahead and audition. I contacted the magic Castle and was told audition slots won't be available until the new year. Well, I went ahead and began practicing my routine . Meanwhile, an opportunity to perform at a marriage retreat in front of 66 people came about and I nervously accepted. That event happened this past weekend and I got through it - and the audience loved it! From my point of view it wasn't perfect, but I guess that's magicians guilt playing its role in my mind. I've already been asked to perform at another event.

My routine opened with Magicians Insurance, followed by a rope trick with knots, then some mentalism that learned while at Magic Live and it ended with torn and restored napkin.

I just wanted to share my story with other magicians because my non-magic friends can't relate. Thanks for reading.
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
Congratulations David!!!
Keep it up!!
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
805 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Congrats, David! Good job! You've got the hardest one under your belt. It only gets easier, now. So, how did it feel doing your first show? And how did it feel after?

And you know, that sucker torn & restored napkin is a great trick, especially if there are paper napkins at the wedding and people can follow along trying to do it themselves. Smile

The Castle audition will probably be the most harrowing performance you ever give, simply because you have people like Shoot Ogawa, Jack Goldfinger, Gay Blackstone, and other magicians burning your every move. And yet, at the same time it will be the most supportive environment you will ever have. Enjoy!
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
magicwiia
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of magicwiia
Congratulations. It's always the first time, the ice breaker, that is the most difficult hurdle to cross.

Best of luck with future events.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9769 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Way to go David! I'm sure you're mind is full of both excitement and accomplishment, and yet things are running through your mind that you want to change or feel you could do differently. You have now crossed the threshold and understand the difference in ust doing it for yourself or performing for friends, relatives or co-workers, and actually performing for a real audience. Many dynamics and expectations are much different. Many that have never performed for a real audience do not know or understand this but now you do. Best of luck moving forward.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
It's great to know others are out there doing our thing.

Keep it up.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
walidosama
View Profile
New user
algeria
89 Posts

Profile of walidosama
Congratulations ...i did my first performance to this year it was in 01/06/2019 I did the 3 colored silks vanishing and producing followed by the napkins into snow and then a rope tricks and I end it with milk and newspaper trick it was fun audience liked it ... good luck with future events
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Good luck David!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I did my first "big" show! (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL