The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » John Bannon's Buzz Kill (a Magic Portal review) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
John Bannon's Buzz Kill
$19.99
https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=65888

The Hype:
A packet trick that packs a STING!

Buzz Kill is a brilliant bit of commercial magic that packs small (just a thin packet of cards) but delivers a mighty wallop. The nine specially printed cards make a compact, self-contained routine that will slip in your pocket or wallet, and will always be ready to perform.

Like all the best packet tricks, this is super engaging (with a fantastic narrative hook), fooling as all hell, easy to perform and FUN!

John Bannon has been performing it since it's inception in 1994, and you'll see immediately why it has lasted two plus decades in his repertoire.

The included indepth tutorials will teach you Bannon's tried and tested handling for this routine, plus a 'Fractal' version (where you end completely clean and examinable) and an 'Oil & Queens' handling that adds a lovely visual display at the start as you show the cards.

This is a killer slab of magic that will drop in your pocket, and is sure to be a smash hit wherever you perform.

Brought to you by Bigblindmedia

My Take:
I am the first to admit that I am a huge fan of John's work. If I am going out for an evening and just want to take one piece of magic with me, odds are that it's a Bannon effect. In my opinion, his Sizzle is one of the best packet tricks ever. And I know that a lot of you own Twisted Sisters.

So, obviously when this new packet trick came across my desk I was intrigued. The cards are beautifully printed and John even designed the backs of the cards. One thing I really enjoyed is the handling. In most effects of this order, double faced or double sided cards are used and you have to keep it straight which side should be up. Not so, here. All cards are one sided making the setup a breeze. The handling could not be easier. If you can do an Elmsley, you can do this.

Instruction is via an online 18 minute video which can be downloaded. This is a big plus for me. I can go back to watch the video without going online and finding the site, putting in the password, etc.

If, like me. you were a fan of Emerson and West or Nick Trost this will appeal to you. It has a cute patter line and no one sees the ending coming. The squashed fly motif has been used before by Aldo Columbini as well as some others. John's does have the best print job I have seen on cards like this.

This is a fun trick. I wouldn't include it in a show but as a one off, it makes a great carry along. I have tried it on several people and it has been universally liked.

John also does a fractal version where the cards can be examined in the end. This does take a little more work and might or might not be to your liking. I will stick to the original version myself although John prefers the fractal. It's strong and four of the cards can still be picked up and examined at the end.

And last, John teaches a version based on Roy Walton's Oil and Queens. Easy to do and one big plus here is that you can deal the cards directly down into the spectator's hands. I believe this strengthens the climax by having the spectator turn the cards over in his hands, They are, of course, examinable.

Like I said, I am a big Bannon fan and he did not disappoint this time. This might not have the mind bending climax of Sizzle but you should have fun with it. I know I will.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » John Bannon's Buzz Kill (a Magic Portal review) (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL