The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Jig saw blades (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

majik_1
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majik_1
What would be the best type of blade to cut 1/4" MDF board? thanks.
lnlver
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of lnlver
What type of cut(s) would you be making on the MDF? Straight cuts, curves - large or small, etc? MDF can be cut on a table saw blade, sanded on a belt sander.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4822 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
My father had a cabinet mfg business for years and used MDF and laminate almost exclusively.I gave him a call and he said a "plywood blade" would be best for a jigsaw.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
majik_1
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majik_1
I only have a jigsaw.
Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
145 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
I would use a fine tooth blade. For 1/4" mdf you could also use a metal cutting blade at 14-18 teeth per inch. There is also a "scroll saw" blade that is about 1/8" front to back as opposed to the standard jigsaw blade that is about 1/4". If you want to cut small radius then I would use the scroll saw blade, but if you are just making straight cuts a wider blade will be easier to keep straight.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22243 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You did not mention if the Jigsaw you are referring to is hand held or a table jigsaw. That make a big difference in your question.

To bad this guy refused to answer the previous question on type of cuts.

If it is a straight line, then just buy hand held circle saw, they are cheap, and get a straight guide with clamps.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
majik_1
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majik_1
It is a hand held one.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2019, Cleverpaws wrote:
I would use a fine tooth blade. For 1/4" mdf you could also use a metal cutting blade at 14-18 teeth per inch. There is also a "scroll saw" blade that is about 1/8" front to back as opposed to the standard jigsaw blade that is about 1/4". If you want to cut small radius then I would use the scroll saw blade, but if you are just making straight cuts a wider blade will be easier to keep straight.

Agreed. I use metal cutting blades often for cutting plywood with a jigsaw. Wood blades have a tendency to splinter the wood. If you are cutting curves, go very slowly and don't apply too much forward pressure. This causes the blade to drift. The cut may look perfect on top along your cut line, but the edges will be slanted and the cut way off on the lower side.

Also, for straight cuts, you can get an edge guide for a jigsaw, or attach a fence guide for a dead straight cut.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
947 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
A little off topic but just my two cents. I think a lot of new woodworkers buy a jig saw as their first power saw. As pointed out above a skil type saw is a much better choice. I don’t remember getting my jig saw out of the box in the last ten years. The tool is just not the best way to make the best cuts for most projects.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
423 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I agree Gimpy2, my most frequent saw I use is my bandsaw, second is my table circular saw.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1672 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2019, gimpy2 wrote:
A little off topic but just my two cents. I think a lot of new woodworkers buy a jig saw as their first power saw. As pointed out above a skil type saw is a much better choice. I don’t remember getting my jig saw out of the box in the last ten years. The tool is just not the best way to make the best cuts for most projects.

Doesn't cut curves worth a darn.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Jig saw blades (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL