The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » RD Insta by Henry Harrius (37 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Michael.Kegel
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
142 Posts

Profile of Michael.Kegel
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2019, John C wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2019, Michael.Kegel wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2019, John C wrote:
So no one will answer the question about a need to know how to solve a real cube is required for this?

I mean at anytime, during reset, practice, if you do it wrong etc, is there a requirement to know how to solve a real cube?

In addition to what Maxy already answered, this very question of yours has been answered in this very thread, by Patrick Kun on November 28th. Take a look yourself.

Patrick said “ There is an app that can solve for you. It will just tell you how twist each side and it can bring any mixed cube backntonits original state.”

So My question was do I need to know how to solve the cube in order to perform this trick.

Patrick was very nice and pointed me to a way to solve the cube. But it still didn’t answer my question of Do I NEED to know how to solve the cube?

Thank you very much.

Moving on to more important stuff

You asked whether or not you NEED to know how to solve a cube and Patrick suggested a cube-solving app. Well, put one and one together and then you know why he posted that in the first place and why I referred to Patrick's post as an answer to your question.

No offence meant.

As others have already mentioned as well, there are a couple of cube-solving apps (you obviously need if both reading carefully this thread and being unable to solve a cube) helping you out if you cannot solve a cube. I myself you CubeX.

All the best
Michael
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Let me use clear English instead of magicians false speak-

Yes, you need to know how to solve the cube!
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1663 Posts

Profile of elimagic
If you are doing cube magic and don't know how to solve a cube, I think that is an insult to your audience and truly asking for trouble. You will make a mistake or have an audience member mess with you at some point and then you will be out of luck because you didn't care enough to take the very small amount of time to learn. Get cube3, literally will take mabe an hour a day for 2 weeks to learn to do it in under 2 minutes yourself, no apps needed. My time is now under a minute which by speedcube standards is lightyears however it is enough to lead me to feel comfortable performing various cube routines over the last 2 years.

The small amount of work is worth it. To me, that would be like saying "can I do a card trick without knowing how to shuffle without spilling the cards all over the place"? Sure you COULD but there is a great confidence in knowing how to do it yourself. I'm not so sure I would get this as it looks a bit too magical to me, however, I'll definitely be eagle eyed waiting for reviews.
JOurneyjoe
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of JOurneyjoe
Is this instantly repeatable or a one-time only solve?
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
I agree with everything that elimagic said, including his assessment of an hour a day for 2 weeks to learn the method.

It was worth it.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2019, JOurneyjoe wrote:

Would like to know too. What's the reset time?

Is this good for strolling work?
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2481 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2019, lilyjane13 wrote:
Hello,
Watch my demo video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Q2Rk_zpr0

Lily it looks great but the cube looks awfully loose
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2019, dooblehorn wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2019, lilyjane13 wrote:
Hello,
Watch my demo video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Q2Rk_zpr0

Lily it looks great but the cube looks awfully loose

Loose?
What do you mean?
Looks fine to me.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Just noticed that Vanishing Magic Inc. also carry RD Insta, and start deliver on 30/12/19.

Definitely a year of highlight for Henry Harrius presents and his team release two amazing cube effects within the same year. For those in UK / Europe who will attend the Session in January, you guys can met Henry Harrius directly and he will lecture & perform in the convention.

By the way, for those who still in fence of not knowing how to solve a cube, I can tell you I am also not able to solve the cube even now. However, IOS has an app call Cube Solver and for 3x3x3 cube solve it is free of charge in this app. I always use it when I play around / practice when I accidentally mess up the cube. Problem solve and never have a problem with that.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
AndrewI
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of AndrewI
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2019, itsmagic wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2019, JOurneyjoe wrote:

Would like to know too. What's the reset time?

Is this good for strolling work?

It’s very quick to reset and can be done in a couple of seconds while handling the cube in front of the spectator if you’re confident with your hands. Out of sight it’s literally 2 seconds to reset no problem for even a beginner. Yes good for strolling work.

This is my favourite purchase of the year (and I’m not even really a cube guy!).
AndrewI
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of AndrewI
I should add though that if you’ve handed the cube out for examination and the specs have mixed it up, you’ll need to solve it again as part of your reset. So that would take a little/lot longer depending on your solving skills. Sorry that’s quite an important caveat to my comment about reset above (I never hand the cube out so it didn’t occur to me)
Maxy
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Maxy
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2019, AndrewI wrote:
I should add though that if you’ve handed the cube out for examination and the specs have mixed it up, you’ll need to solve it again as part of your reset. So that would take a little/lot longer depending on your solving skills. Sorry that’s quite an important caveat to my comment about reset above (I never hand the cube out so it didn’t occur to me)

If you don't know how to solve a cube you can use RD 360 to solve it instantly.
Gregory Wilson mentioned that he doesn't know how to solve a cube, and that is what makes his effect more magical.
My artificial intelligence designs:
https://instagram.com/9picks
Nathan Horne
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Nathan Horne
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2019, elimagic wrote:
If you are doing cube magic and don't know how to solve a cube, I think that is an insult to your audience and truly asking for trouble. You will make a mistake or have an audience member mess with you at some point and then you will be out of luck because you didn't care enough to take the very small amount of time to learn. Get cube3, literally will take mabe an hour a day for 2 weeks to learn to do it in under 2 minutes yourself, no apps needed. My time is now under a minute which by speedcube standards is lightyears however it is enough to lead me to feel comfortable performing various cube routines over the last 2 years.

The small amount of work is worth it. To me, that would be like saying "can I do a card trick without knowing how to shuffle without spilling the cards all over the place"? Sure you COULD but there is a great confidence in knowing how to do it yourself. I'm not so sure I would get this as it looks a bit too magical to me, however, I'll definitely be eagle eyed waiting for reviews.

I agree 100%. If you go out and perform this without knowing how to legit solve a cube under one minute and don't know some gimmickless tricks (Like Cube3), you are looking for trouble. Especially when performing close-up.
I perform mainly gimmickless tricks and I still get asked this a lot: "Do you have a cube that solves itself when you push a button?".
RD Insta looks wonderful and I'll definitely get one eventually, I'm just worried a lot of magicians think this is a quick solution to become a good cube magician, rather than realising it's a small part of a good routine.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Is anyone else’s cube making a noise when turning one of the sides?
Sounds like a spring inside. Messaged Henry’s team and they said aware of the problem and have messaged the factory.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2019, Maxy wrote:
If you don't know how to solve a cube you can use RD 360 to solve it instantly.

Well, that won't help with a reset.

If you want to do Rubik magic in any kind of walkaround environment, then you will definitely need to be able to solve the cube.

If you are doing a parlor or stage performance, then you could use an app to do any necessary reset after the show. You can also use an app when you are learning a new effect (you WILL mess up the cube at some point).

Learning a basic cube solve is not difficult and shouldn't take more than a week to master. You don't need to be super fast. It still takes me two minutes - but I only need it when I mess up, or if a spectator mixes up the cube.

Steven Brundage teaches a good basic solve in Cube3 - it's the one I use. There are faster solves if you need speed, but these require learning many more sets of moves.

Mike
Armando Cheung
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Armando Cheung
While learning how to solve the cube actually is convenient and good for preparation, I don't think being able to solve cube helps in actual cube magic performance. If the cube is really messed up in performance for some reasons, will I really want to spend time to solve the cube in front of the audience? I don't think I will.(Unless I can solve a cube within 20 sec)
Armando Cheung
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Armando Cheung
When cube magic was not that popular and well-developed, people still used enchanted cube with a great success Smile(Even they don't know how to solve cube)
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2019, reignofsound wrote:
Is anyone else’s cube making a noise when turning one of the sides?
Sounds like a spring inside. Messaged Henry’s team and they said aware of the problem and have messaged the factory.

Not received mine as yet, so not sure if mine would be the same?
dylanxtay
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
157 Posts

Profile of dylanxtay
Hi everyone. Just to share my two cents over the discussion over having the need to know how to solve a cube for RD-Insta.

So do you need to know how to solve a cube for RD-Insta? The short answer will be no. You do not need to know on how to solve a cube for all of the applications for RD-Insta. RD-Insta works simply through itself, and has the added benefit to be easily transitioned into other Rubik's Cube routines (such as Venom Cube, RD/ RD 360 etc). For buyers of RD-Insta, Henry Harrius also provided a recommendation to use a particular app that you can download on your phone's app store and will be able to solve the cube from any scramble as long as you follow the instructions prompted by the app.

So when do you really need to know how to legitimately solve a cube? That comes into effect when:

1) You legitimately scrambled the order of the cube. (Out of mistake or during practice sessions where you're trying to get to a particular "state", but missed a move or two and being unable to recover from that spot.)

2) The spectator legitimated scrambled the order of the cube (very common occurrence when you're performing in the real world and people are usually very curious about the cubes and would love to give it a mix just like how they used to when they were kids.)

In my opinion, it's not mandatory to learn how to solve a cube in order to do cube magic, but if you know how to solve one, it absolutely will elevate your handling skills (especially for those advanced false shuffles, where it's certainly easier to learn and pick up when you can understand notations - L R L' R' etc.), as well as being able to solve one on the fly. In addition, through knowing on how to solve a cube can now be inadvertently used as an effect/ demonstration to exhibit the difficulty of solving a cube, and is also a much more elegant way of recovery instead of using an app.

TLDR; no you don't have to know how to legitimately solve a cube for all applications for RD-Insta, but having the knowledge and ability to solve one does show its mileage and will aid you in your overall handling and comfort level of handling the cube, while being ready for any random situations that you might encounter while performing in the real world.
Dylan Tay
Magician & Cardist

Welcome to #theBLACKseries, a collection of my Cardistry work.
Only at: http://www.instagram.com/dylanxtaylor
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
Buy it. Saw it live a few weeks ago from the man the creator himself.
It looks so ridiculously good in person, I even offered to PRE-pre-order one on the spot haha.
its one of those tricks that even if the audience is staring at it, it will still fool them.
Hell, even if you look at it in the mirror while doing it yourself, it will fool you.

2 thumbs up from me.
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » RD Insta by Henry Harrius (37 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL