The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best business cards for 'moves' (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stevie c
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Hi everyone. I hope this is the correct forum to post this on. I'm pretty new to MC so if not please let me know straightaway and I'll remove.

I currently have a couple of routines that use business cards, and require simple 'moves' similar to what we sometimes do with playing cards. Without saying too much, for anyone familiar with AB's 'underhanded' you'll know the type of 'move' I mean.

I'm hoping for some advice on whether there is a 'gold standard' type of business card for this type of work (just as some playing cards are easier to work with than others), or do people use a range of cards depending on personal preference??

I currently use standard matte business cards, of a standard thickness.

Any help and advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Steve
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3348 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Usually glossy cards will do what you want, though some matte ones will too. Unfortunately it's going to vary from printer to printer so it's hard to really say. I got a batch from Vistaprint a few years ago that were called matte, but they had really nice action. When I changed my design and had more made, using the same settings, they were totally different (I guess they changed their materials).

For the most part, glossy will work well though. If you want matte or semi gloss, you can usually ask the printer for samples. There are definitely some that work but there are also some that are prone to clumping, which you definitely don't want. As far as thickness goes, I prefer 16pt, though if you want to fold or tear them you may want to opt for 14pt.

Best of luck.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
stevie c
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Thank you Last Laugh, that's really useful info 👍

BW

Steve
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11625 Posts

Profile of John C
I just bought 5 packs of double blank bike cards. These are perfect. Can’t find any other stock that comes close.

Like LL I went to vista and get different stock always. Good thing with them though is that you can say you are unhappy and they make you something else.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3348 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
As far as double blanks, I'm pretty happy with these:

https://www.amazon.com/Apostrophe-Games-......9&sr=8-4
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
stevie c
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Cheers for this guys. Awesome info. Do you find that the double blank bikes are suitable for spectators to write on? If so, I think that may be the way ahead 👍
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3348 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Blank bikes work pretty well with regular Sharpies, but ball point or water based markers sometimes smear.

The only drawback with blank bikes is that, for some reason, they are more expensive than regular printed decks...
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11625 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:

I believe I have these. My dry fingers just slide across the real estate and no cards get pushed off.

Yes the blank bikes are more expensive. I always use a sharpie. And man they move with ease.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3348 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
FWIW, the Apostrophe ones come in a few finishes. I tried the matte ones, and they can be a little clumpy, but I find the 'aqueous' finish to be a reasonable approximation of playing cards.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
663 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2019, Last Laugh wrote:

I’ve purchased these as well. The lot they sent me have worked well. I purchased the aqueous.
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
1075 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
As far as treating cards goes: I bought the Apostrophe's thinking I could use 'em with the R&S stick. Unfortunately that doesn't work at all. I've now ordered SF. Fingers crossed.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
stevie c
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of stevie c
Thanks for this advice everyone. The aqueous apostrophes / double blank bikes sound just the ticket 👌
walidosama
View Profile
New user
algeria
57 Posts

Profile of walidosama
I think you can print you business details on a blank playing cards and use it in your routine as a special card
stevie c
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of stevie c
I've just ordered some apostrophes in aqueous, and the bonus is that they even come in bridge size, which is pretty close to business card size 😃
tomd
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of tomd
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2019, stevie c wrote:
I've just ordered some apostrophes in aqueous, and the bonus is that they even come in bridge size, which is pretty close to business card size 😃

That's the best Choice. I have them and they are very smooth (for a good while at least). And best of all, you aren't devaluing your business cards by having them all over the tables with writing and drinks spilled on them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best business cards for 'moves' (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL