The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Fragment video download by Michael Murray (60 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
ipe
View Profile
Special user
513 Posts

Profile of ipe
The effect is very solid and deceptive. The method is not self-working but the move is easy.

As already mentioned in the thread this is not a pure ACAAN plot but a "I place your card at your number".

It is easy, deceptive and practical so is it perfect for me? Not really... The move requires a visibile handling that for me is a little "magicky". This is my personal preference and style, I generally only use hand-off card effects or effects with minimal and natural looking handlings (and I'm of the school of thought I should not look like a card expert).

I know many mentalists don't share this view and of course this is irrelevant for magicians so for them this could be a perfect effect. But maybe my view could be an useful information for whom share my philosophy. In this regards, I prefer The Crusade or, for very special and limited contexts, Michael's ReCreation.

Anyway, I think this is a great addition to the magic and mentalist community.

P.S. Not mathematical or mnemonic procedures are invokved.
What would a real mindreader do?
ipe
View Profile
Special user
513 Posts

Profile of ipe
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2020, ipe wrote:
The move requires a visibile handling that for me is a little "magicky". This is my personal preference and style, I generally only use hand-off card effects or effects with minimal and natural looking handlings (and I'm of the school of thought I should not look like a card expert).

Other alternative moves are shown in the explanation video, but for me the issue remains.

If someone has a more natural looking handling for that purpose, I would love to hear that. Thank you in advance. Smile
What would a real mindreader do?
Derotanim
View Profile
Regular user
UK
126 Posts

Profile of Derotanim
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2020, doriancaudal wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2020, Derotanim wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2020, doriancaudal wrote:
Can someone who has this answer yes or no to these ACAAN criteria ?

1. -deck on the table beforehand ?
2. -free choice of card ?
3. -free choice of number ?
4. -normal deck ?
5. -no manipulation, hands-off ?
6. -spectator does everything ?

1. Yes
2. Yes-ish. Not forced, but not a completely randomly-thought-of card (although the card is random).
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Very hands-off, with minimal "manipulation" (barely) by the performer
6. No, but can do a lot / most of it

I don't know how an effect could satisfy all 6 of your conditions, and if it can, show me it - must be some kind of miracle! (Even Asi Wind's highly-regarded A.A.C.A.A.N. only meets the first 3 of these)

My version meets all these conditions, but it is quite difficult to perform, you just need some work by it works perfectly.

For Fragment, I will wait for a complete demo, too afraid of a mathematical procedure...

Fair enough. Let me add that Fragment is not at all mathematical in nature.
MitchellK
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of MitchellK
This looks very very good! A great ACAAN presentation and I’m fooled big time by this. Just when you think you have an idea, it’s blown out of the water. Michael is onto a winner here and I’m sure he will take Blackpool by storm!!
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
632 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Michael,

Just wondering how long you will offer Recreation as a bonus? (just trying to plan some of my upcoming purchases)

Thanks
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1966 Posts

Profile of celebrity
Robert, I don’t like to disappoint so if you order at a later point just send me the order number and I will make sure you get the ReCreation effect too.

Best Wishes Michael
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've tried it and also tried to find a presentation to suit me, but I can't...

it feels very procedural (for me and my tastes) - there's a fair bit of handling/counting out loud and as its just under 5 minutes performance time - its too much for what I guess I was hoping for! but all very well taught and explained, it just doesn't suit me personally...
I've asked to be banned
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Very kind Michael but I shall buy my copy like everyone else. I shall wait for a few more reviews before doing so though. Smile

Really? A few more reviews haha

I will purchase a copy as well to see what the final product looks like.l

This is fantastic.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2020, doriancaudal wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2020, Derotanim wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2020, doriancaudal wrote:
Can someone who has this answer yes or no to these ACAAN criteria ?

1. -deck on the table beforehand ?
2. -free choice of card ?
3. -free choice of number ?
4. -normal deck ?
5. -no manipulation, hands-off ?
6. -spectator does everything ?

1. Yes
2. Yes-ish. Not forced, but not a completely randomly-thought-of card (although the card is random).
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Very hands-off, with minimal "manipulation" (barely) by the performer
6. No, but can do a lot / most of it

I don't know how an effect could satisfy all 6 of your conditions, and if it can, show me it - must be some kind of miracle! (Even Asi Wind's highly-regarded A.A.C.A.A.N. only meets the first 3 of these)

My version meets all these conditions, but it is quite difficult to perform, you just need some work by it works perfectly.

For Fragment, I will wait for a complete demo, too afraid of a mathematical procedure...

zero math procedure.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Isn't this just Devastation by Tom Daugherty on Geoff William's Miracles for Mortals volume 2?...
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
792 Posts

Profile of qkeli
Fragment is excellent, I have it and I love it !
Will it fool the laymen ? Of course, it will blow their mind...
Is it a magician fooler ?, it fooled me badly when I saw the performances footage although i’m not a Magician or a professional magician, just an Amateur of magic.

The effect is excellent and Michael Murray is a genius, and i’m not even talking about his VIP customer service !!!

Congratulations Michael !!!! You’re the man !!!
Axman
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of Axman
Along with Crusade and double back I'm saying this is the best card trick in the last 30 years. Absolutely brilliant.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Best in last 30 years?
John7
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of John7
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2020, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Isn't this just Devastation by Tom Daugherty on Geoff William's Miracles for Mortals volume 2?...

I thought that too but it's an in the hands version, which is no small thing. Plus it's not just "in the hands" but "in the spectator's hands" (for the denouement). So it's a variation - but different enough to stand alone. Probably not as good as Devastation but that's no criticism - few card tricks are.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
Quote:
The move requires a visibile handling that for me is a little "magicky". This is my personal preference and style, I generally only use hand-off card effects or effects with minimal and natural looking handlings (and I'm of the school of thought I should not look like a card expert).

Other alternative moves are shown in the explanation video, but for me the issue remains.

If someone has a more natural looking handling for that purpose, I would love to hear that. Thank you in advance. Smile

If you make the alternatives haphazardly it looks even more mixed up. Just be casual like you’re not even aware of it. Like while you do the alternative move say, so what do you think so far? We’re not finished yet you know. Oh yea, there’s more. Ready to continue?
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2020, John7 wrote:

I thought that too but it's an in the hands version, which is no small thing. Plus it's not just "in the hands" but "in the spectator's hands" (for the denouement). So it's a variation - but different enough to stand alone. Probably not as good as Devastation but that's no criticism - few card tricks are.

??? You can easily do Devastation in the hands, and you can have the denouement happen in their hands... It's the same. Except Devastation is even easier because it has zero moves.
John7
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of John7
Sure you can but that's not as taught - split the deck into 5 piles, spec picks one and spreads it, mentally choosing a card then shuffles the packet, etc. And I think I said that Devastation is probably better. My point is that this is a valid variation from the standard Devastation (as that trick is taught).
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of David Numen
I purchased this yesterday as I was curious about one aspect. From the descriptions given my reviewers and the outline of the effect I was pretty certain of what had to happen, I just wasn't entirely certain how Michael made it happen. I'm delighted - an excellent effect, simple, straighforward and worthy of my hero Dani Daortiz. In fact one aspect bears a passing resemblance to an aspect of one of his many versions.

So - the "procedure" there isn't really one. There's none of this "cut some cards and count them" which you get in some other similar effects.

The big selling point is that you genuinely have a thought of card and number and the performer has no idea which, there's nothing dodgy about how either are arrived at and at the end the cards are in THEIR hands.

Brilliant.
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2067 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2020, David Numen wrote:

The big selling point is that you genuinely have a thought of card and number and the performer has no idea which, there's nothing dodgy about how either are arrived at and at the end the cards are in THEIR hands.

The caveat here is that there is a correlation between the number and the card during the selection process. For me, that feels a little too cozy for a CAAN style effect.
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - -
www.davidjonathanmagic.com
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
They really can though pick any card based on any number. Is it berglas? No probably not but is it a darn good trick? Yea, I think so!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Fragment video download by Michael Murray (60 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL