The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » RIP Dick Oslund (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
R.I.P.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
This is incredibly sad. I never met him personally but we emailed back and forth a few times. He sent me samples of rope he had with examples of different types of knots along with some instructions for a few effects he did with rope. I never asked him for this. It just showed up in my mailbox one day! What a generous gift and what a generous man he was to share all of his knowledge and experience with every person here. All they had to do was ask. I didn't know him well but I will certainly miss him. He used to love to let everyone know the type of rope he used was called "kernmantle." I won't soon forget that silly word because it will always remind me of a very generous man. I bought his book... twice (I had a softback and wanted the hardback). It is full of typos and has absolutely no table of contents which drives me crazy. How do you not put in a table of contents?! But you know what? That book is one of the most read books in my library. It is a book I will treasure for the rest of my life, simply because it was lovingly and generously offered so the rest of us could be better. Rest in peace, dear friend.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
The Fritz,

Like you, Dick Oslund sent me countless things throughout the years. If he came across something that he knew was of interest to me, he just mailed it with a note and never once asked to be reimbursed.

As I may have mentioned before, I read his book (the signed, hardback edition) numerous times and in fact, I'll probably read it again. That's how much I enjoyed reading about a real working magician and his interesting life.

Gerry
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
R.I.P. Dick,
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
I just saw this and am bawling my eyes out. Dick and I made friends several years ago and he instantly became my mentor. We spoke regularly until I started having health problems last year, and he started having issues with his computer.
He recently sent me some items to list on Ebay for him, and a few books he insisted I read.
We had gone a few months without speaking before, so I didn't start to worry until a few days ago, and when I looked for him on here and saw this my heart dropped.

I loved him like a father. He was always so concerned with me and my mother's health, even when he was fighting cancer.

I just don't know what to say. I loved him so much and I will miss him for the rest of my life. He was always so good to me. From our very first message, he treated me like family.

RIP dear friend. I love you.

For anyone who wants to see how amazing he was with the schoolkids he performed for across the country, here is a very small sample.

https://youtu.be/Ekuy7amAiL8
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Dick’s posts always put a smile on my face. Wish I could have met him. Rest easy.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
RIP Dick.
Angela P
View Profile
New user
Baden Baden, Germany
26 Posts

Profile of Angela P
After one years of absence this is the saddest news to read. Ruhe und Frieden Mr. Oslund.
Angela
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » RIP Dick Oslund (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL