The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Free by Think Nguyen (CAAN) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Didn't he release an ACAAN effect early this year? Is this one the same?

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12771

Ad copy:

If you're a pro, listen up.

1) Whatever you think the secret is, you're wrong.

2) Free ACAAN is a worker's dream. Any deck. No setup. Instant reset. A genuinely free choice of both the card and the number. The deck is really shuffled by THE SPECTATOR, and when you count down, it's genuinely there.

As a bonus, Think Nguyen also happens to be an excellent teacher! He teaches everything clearly, his technique is excellent, and he's clearly performed this a lot because he shares a ton of insight.
scott0819
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Ont.
1040 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2019, Magic KL wrote:
Didn't he release an ACAAN effect early this year? Is this one the same?

Pretty sure you are thinking about The Surprise which was certainly marketed as an ACAAN but based on reviews was much more like a version of The Trick That Cannot Be Explained.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......&start=0
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
456 Posts

Profile of Axel
This looks nice.
Hmm... if this works as I think it does, then this would be a very nice and quite easy way to do an impromptu CAAN that would also be suitable for walkaround. But probably I don't know how this works because I don't understand why it's not called ACAAN.
Smile
I think I will have a look at it.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Maybe because the card is selected and not named? Does appear to be ACAAN considering that qualification.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Axel
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin
456 Posts

Profile of Axel
Ah... alright. Wasn't aware of the the "has-to-be-named-criterion".
That would make sense.
Thanks!
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
So maybe it's a 'SCAAN' (selected card at any number), lol.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
WolfgangStiller
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs, Colorado
218 Posts

Profile of WolfgangStiller
Selecting versus naming makes this a very different effect.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Not self working evidently.

[This is a simplified version of a classic effect. Card at any number is one of the great mental effects. Performing it can be extremely complex depending on what version you use. Think Nguyen has come up with a method that eliminates a lot of complexities. However this method will take a lot of practice. But it is well worth it. He has come up with a great effect that is devastating to a lay audience. His tutorial is excellent. He lays out step by step how to perform the effect, and he addresses the complexities clearly. This is a good effect.
1 of 1 magicians found this helpful.]
Harley Remington
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Harley Remington
The trailer is grossly misleading.
coachawsm
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of coachawsm
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2019, Harley Remington wrote:

It would make sense to explain why...
Harley Remington
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Harley Remington
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2019, coachawsm wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2019, Harley Remington wrote:

It would make sense to explain why...

The order of events in the trailer are deceptive.
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
862 Posts

Profile of magico
I do not own the download but he did teach what appears to be the same effect on his At The Table Lecture.
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
I can’t answer the ATT question, but can comment on the effect. It is definitely a Selected card at any number rather than ACAAN, but it is a very good SCAAN. Only The most rudimentary math is involved as well as few, if any, slights. With respect to the order of events, the effect looks like this. The performer spreads through the cards to allow the spectator a selection. The card is outjogged for the spectator to see and then pushed back into the deck at the same point. The performer asks the spectator for a number between one and 52. The performer cuts off a packet of cards and hands it to the spectator for shuffling. The performer shuffles his packet. The performer and spectator exchange packets and shuffle/cut again.. The performer takes the spectator’s packet and places it on top. Either the performer or spectator deals down to the named number to find the selection. If anyone has this and is interested in a different handling that I find even more “free,” please PM me.
sevenup
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
179 Posts

Profile of sevenup
I bought it and will use it due to the impromptu nature but it is not ACAAN it was referred to as CAAN in the download. The truth is it's SCAAN. If you wanted, you could kind of turn it into ACAAN but that would ruin the impromptu aspect of it. There is always a trade off somewhere right? As far as difficulty, it's not hard at all and I'm not the greatest card handler. Over all I really like how easy it is to do as most all of the dirty work is done out in the open in plain sight. The one main skill needed is something I already do well so this is good for me. I'll put some practice time in it and see what kind of reactions I get with it.

The good thing about this version is that it is impromptu and relatively easy to do. The purist will probably be shocked to see spectator gets to shuffle the cards after the number is named but I think this is what makes it seem so impossible. I tried to figure it out right after viewing the full performance and just couldn't do it. So it fooled me. Should be fun to perform. Also, the cards can be counted out by the spectator if you want, but in the performance there was no table so he just clearly and fairly counted out the cards. If a table is available, I would definitely have them count the cards out themselves.
Pick a card, any card at all. Just don't pick a RED spade.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
Dec 7, 2019, sevenup wrote:
If a table is available, I would definitely have them count the cards out themselves.

You could have them count the cards out onto the palm of your outstretched hand.
sevenup
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
179 Posts

Profile of sevenup
Yes sir, I believe that is the way to go in absence of a table.
Pick a card, any card at all. Just don't pick a RED spade.
fireisyummy
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of fireisyummy
There are a lot of CAAN or ACAANs. I myself have for sure learned at least 50 over my life and invented several of my own as well. Each one has its own plusses and minuses and is best for different types of audiences. I will try to make it clear exactly what advantages FREE has so you will know whether its for you.

The angles are phenomenal. This can be done under fire, surrounded on all sides. Various methods are taught depending on the circumstance and not every method works if there are people seated while you are standing who can see under you but in those situations you can easily do things differently so this is not a problem.

This method is very casual. It would be great for doing walk-around, close-up, or for a couple of friends. While the method will work for stage or parlor I wouldn't use this method there unless your stage persona is very casual.

The teaching is phenomenal although expect to be a little confused near the beginning. Don't worry, everything is accounted for in the end with complete clarity.

This will work with a borrowed/shuffled deck and is completely impromptu.

People who are experienced with a deck will find this easy. I would skip this trick if you're a beginner. Its not technically challenging but you cannot let it show that you are doing a move or that your actions have any importance or the whole trick is meaningless. Only someone experienced with a deck will be able to do the moves casually.

Conclusion: Highly recommended for close-up experienced magicians.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
100 agreed with above post. I like this one. Clean, basic handling and with practice ( like everything else) it is a direct magical effect. This is a freely SCAAN
nico360
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of nico360
No credit to Clutch ?..
cardistry master
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of cardistry master
Do you mean by oz Perlman as I can’t see any similarities
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Free by Think Nguyen (CAAN) (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL