The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I want to be a children's/family entertainer but I'm scared. (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Iamnewt
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Iamnewt
I'm afraid that other adults will look down on me or something.

It's hard to explain or articulate exactly why I feel this way.

The thought of a grown man acting silly in front of children, doing often cheesy tricks and patter with cheesy little props. (and if it's a family show how do appeal to both children and grown sophisticated adults?)

I feel to most adults it will come across as just kind of lame and sad.

Please note, this isn't a dig on children's entertainers at all.

I really want to be one... but I have these weird limiting beliefs getting in the way.

Can anyone help bust them?

Maybe it's because I always wanted to be or picture myself as cool and edgy. (I'm not but wanted to be like this strong, buff, tough, rugged guy... I'm the total opposite. lol Not sure if I should embrace who I am or work to become the image of the guy I want to be)

And it seems weird for that kind of guy to be a kid's entertainer.

I don't know.

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

I look forward to having some discussions that can help move me through this.
Russo
View Profile
Special user
768 Posts

Profile of Russo
You have to build confidence in your self - it's like having a Guardian Angel on your shoulder saying "that's pretty good " on the other shoulder is a Demon saying "OHH BIG YOU" - Who do you listen to? Have your Guardian Angel walk across your shoulder and "POW" knock the Demon OFFFFF. NO I'm Not nuts - at 82 -Pro.Magician for 70 years - Just experienced. '
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2729 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Who said you had to act silly?

Funny doesn’t have to be silly and kids can still laugh and have a good time.

You don’t have to be a clown to be a magician. Lots of kid routines out there that will get laughs without being silly.

I wouldn’t worry about the adults; those there will be parents and will enjoy watching the kids have a good time.
But there is nothing wrong with having a couple of effects just for them.

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9837 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I actually agree with Tom in that you are viewing this as a laymen's perspective of kids performers. Take the time to learn the real proper perspective of the industry and community. You will find it is just more than just cheap laughs and silly kid tricks (although you will find plenty of kids performers that are nothing more than this.) Quality and professionalism matter.

Being a kids performer can be quite fulfilling, however, you need to understand the difference in performing and entertaining, as opposed to just getting the kids yelling and screaming. That is not entertainment. Learn the art of kids performing and your eyes will be open to an entire world of possibilities and opportunities.

You will very quickly find there are two types of kids performers:

- Those that just perform tricks strung together, wear a goofy character costume, and go for the cheap approach of hack material, anything to get any kind of a reaction and make themselves the center of attention.

and the other is

- Those that truly learn the art of entertainment and kids entertaining, how to understand, work and control a kids audience, the controlling aspects of kids (and adults) performing, the important dynamics of the kids-parents connection, the realization that the entertainment doesn't come from the tricks, but rather from the performance (and everything that entails), and most of all the responsibility and expectations of a true kids performer (which so many miss or never truly understand.) I always say your first step is not to be a magician, but rather a performer, then eventually an entertainer. A magician does tricks. A performer and entertainer operates on a much more encompassing and greater level, which can make more difference than you can imagine. Right along with that is having an understanding of what the parents and those hiring you are truly interested in and expect. This is something that so many kids magicians get wrong.

Education and gaining the proper knowledge is the first step.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Welcome to The Magic Café. I have a few questions I will like to ask you. It will help me chose the right answers you are looking for:

1. How old are you?
2. Are you living in a rural or urban area?
3. How long have you been doing magic?
4. Have you done shows for anyone before?
5. What tricks do you have now?
6. Are you focusing on performing more for adults or children?
7. Why do you want to be a magician?

I started doing magic with no mentor by my side. The reason my confidence of being a professional was low was because I never seen a magician my race before. As I got older my confidence began to grow. My mother purchased more tricks for me. I always did close up tricks for children on the side. Later I tried performing stand up shows. But I was slow with the stand up acts. I was performing no more than 5 shows a year. Later my confidence built up. Everything was easier than I expected. It later became my full time business.

There are all kinds of themes that can be presented with magic. In libraries I teach "Reading is Magic." Silly magic does not has to presented. Educational magic is what the librarians are looking for. In schools I teach themes like "Anti-bully," "Positive Self-Esteem," "Goal Setting" and "Drug Awareness. The children are learning while being entertained the same time.

Always remember to be yourself. Oopsy and Bozo the clowns were silly in their shows. Bozo also had a magician in his show. Kids loved him for his character. Marshal Brodien, Mark Wilson and Bill Bixby were great children entertainers. They were not being silly but they were being themselves. Just be yourself and see what your what capture is.
Iamnewt
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Iamnewt
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:
Who said you had to act silly?

Funny doesn’t have to be silly and kids can still laugh and have a good time.

You don’t have to be a clown to be a magician. Lots of kid routines out there that will get laughs without being silly.

I wouldn’t worry about the adults; those there will be parents and will enjoy watching the kids have a good time.
But there is nothing wrong with having a couple of effects just for them.

Tom

Who are children performers who aren't?

I've watched Silly Billy. (Silly is even in his name). I've watched Zany Zack (tony chris) who has a similar style.

I'd love to see some who aren't.
Iamnewt
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Iamnewt
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2019, Dynamike wrote:
Welcome to The Magic Café. I have a few questions I will like to ask you. It will help me chose the right answers you are looking for:

1. How old are you?
2. Are you living in a rural or urban area?
3. How long have you been doing magic?
4. Have you done shows for anyone before?
5. What tricks do you have now?
6. Are you focusing on performing more for adults or children?
7. Why do you want to be a magician?

I started doing magic with no mentor by my side. The reason my confidence of being a professional was low was because I never seen a magician my race before. As I got older my confidence began to grow. My mother purchased more tricks for me. I always did close up tricks for children on the side. Later I tried performing stand up shows. But I was slow with the stand up acts. I was performing no more than 5 shows a year. Later my confidence built up. Everything was easier than I expected. It later became my full time business.

There are all kinds of themes that can be presented with magic. In libraries I teach "Reading is Magic." Silly magic does not has to presented. Educational magic is what the librarians are looking for. In schools I teach themes like "Anti-bully," "Positive Self-Esteem," "Goal Setting" and "Drug Awareness. The children are learning while being entertained the same time.

Always remember to be yourself. Oopsy and Bozo the clowns were silly in their shows. Bozo also had a magician in his show. Kids loved him for his character. Marshal Brodien, Mark Wilson and Bill Bixby were great children entertainers. They were not being silly but they were being themselves. Just be yourself and see what your what capture is.

1. I'm 32.
2. Urban
3. I've been doing magic for 26 years.
4. Yes, I've done shows before. (been several years though)
5. I don't have any tricks besides some card tricks.
6. I perform for adults now but would like to perform more for kids.
7. I don't know why I want to be a magician.

"Always remember to be yourself."

I sometimes struggle with this as I often have no idea who I really am. lol
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9837 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Who do you want to be? When you envision yourself as a kids performer what do you see?
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2729 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2019, Iamnewt wrote:

Who are children performers who aren't?

I've watched Silly Billy. (Silly is even in his name). I've watched Zany Zack (tony chris) who has a similar style.

I'd love to see some who aren't.

Ken Scott, Danny Orleans, Christopher T. Magician, Donald Dunphy, and many more have great magic shows that’s not considered silly.
Dynamike also does straight magic for kids without the clowning. Maybe you are confusing funny with silly.

Don’t underestimate the young ones. Heck, about half of Copperfields show would work for kids.Smile

Tom

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2257 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:
Heck, about half of Copperfields show would work for kids.Smile
Tom

Copperfield is an excellent example of someone who can totally entertain children and adults at the same time. Study some of his specials on youtube and you'll have a ton of food for thought.

I would also remind you it is an 'act' you will be doing. For example, I am a very quiet and shy person, but when I get in front of an audience my alter ego takes over. Its a great release for me. The only way to find out what will work for you is to get out there and try it. Try different characters and routines till you find something that you like and your audience responds to.

As far as prop selection, I'm pretty sure your going to need more than card tricks, but you don't necessarily need cheesy props either. Start with the classics of magic and build on that. (Mis-made flag, linking rings, cut and restored rope, egg bag, miser's dream, Hippity Hop rabbits, 20th century silks.)

Best of luck to you!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2729 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Ken said it well, and he too is a great example of someone that can please children with amazing magic minus the silliness. Let me be clear oh, there is nothing wrong with the silly bits that magicians Like Silly Billy and The Great Zucchini perform. They play the part well and they have a special skill that many don’t have. Very few can do what they do with any kind of success. Learn from them yes, but copying them will be tough.

Also let me add that regardless of how you perform, working with children requires a skill that many don’t have; it’s certainly not for everyone. You either love it or you hate it. You can learn to deal with all the challenges, but to be really successful at it you must have a deep love for interacting with children. Keep in mind, kids are not as polite as the adults; they don’t care what they say and unless you have that teacher-like personality to control them it could get ugly in a hurry.

Good Luck with it
Tom

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
1. I'm 32.
That gives you a head start. I am sure you have a lot wisdom on what magic really is. Magic is not just a trick. It is an art of entertainment that mystifies the audience. There is nothing wrong with adults performing for children unless the tricks are not presently correctly.

2. Urban.
This gives you another advantage because you have a large group of people around you to show your entertainment to. After you purchase and practice the right props that you feel comfortable performing, call libraries, schools, nonprofit organizations, etc to tell them your would like to come there and present a 15-30 minute show. You will be getting to practice for free in front of a live audience. Have someone record you also. Take home the recording and study what needs to be improved.

3. I've been doing magic for 26 years.
Wow. That is a long time. What comes to my mind is you are not sharing you skills enough with others. Never leave home without having a magic trick in your pocket. Be open in sharing your magics with anybody. That is what I always do. I take my sponge bunny rabbits wherever I go. When I am in line inside of a restaurant I present them short and fast towards kids. I make the sponge disappear. I next make it reappear from a different area. The parents like it also because it makes time go faster while waiting in a long line. You can do a quick card or coin trick. Usually when I am handing my money to the cashier I make it disappear while doing a pass. I looked surprised and tell them I have another one in my pocket and pull it out. It gets a lot of giggles from doing this. It helps me with marketing. I pass out more cards this way. It can help you with being relaxed from multiple practices.

4. Yes, I've done shows before. (been several years though)
Since you have done shows before, you can do shows again. Try searching for more age groups. If your friend's are having a party, bring a few tricks with you. If a child is having a birthday party bring a few tricks with you. Ask the host of family/holiday parties if it is okay if you perform a show for 15-30 minutes that will entertain their guest. You might be lucky and have a few kids in the audience. The more you practice it the more easier it will become for you. Then later in the future you might be a strong mentor on the The Magic Café helping others reach their goals.

5. I don't have any tricks besides some card tricks.
Try investing in some magic tricks. The props do not have to be large or expensive. If you do a search on The Magic Café you will notice threads dealing with "Small tricks that play big." Silk, rope tricks for example. You can also use impromptu items. The number one book I suggest you to start with is "Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic." That books get many votes from many magicians.

6. I perform for adults now but would like to perform more for kids.
Try using "The Magic of 30 Days" formula. Many people use that method in reaching their goals. I don't know how it works, but it does work. I am not saying you will be professional in 30 days, but I am saying it will bring you closer in reaching your goal with performing for children. Break everything into different plans. Mainly what I mentioned to you earlier can be in plan number #1. (Buy a kid's entertainer book, buy the props, practice freely, etc.) Second step of 30 more days will be for you to contact public places offering to perform a show at no/little charge. Your third step of 30 days will be to watch recordings of yourself. Try improving what you think is best. Put a lot of time in practicing over and over again. If you satisfied with your skills you might want to try marketing your business.

7. I don't know why I want to be a magician.
A lot of people want to be a kid's magician. Most people fail. The reason they do not succeed is because they want to be a kid's magician just to make a lot of money. I advise those people to search for something they like to do. Maybe an mentalist or escape artist might satisfy them. Trying to be a kid's magician just because an individual wants a lot of money never works. The individual is just waisting their time. But those who are doing it for the interest of making kids' happy with entertainment are doing it for the right reasons. If it is fun for the performer, it is fun for the children. There is nothing wrong with an individual for not wanting to entertainer children. The only thing wrong is when an individual tries making a living out of something he/she is not interested in.

I advise you to go and search for family and kids' magicians on Youtube. You will see some that are funny. You will notice some silly ones also. See if anyone of them fits your interest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxfbWijWyfo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsNx3hQg1fI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUR3T57WGKI

You can try street busking also to get your practice. You will receive tips by enhancing your skills. There is a street busking forum in the Magic Café. Try checking with your city and other cities that neighbor your city to see if street busking permits are offered.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Dec 10, 2019, Dynamike wrote:
"Small tricks that play big."

Correction: "Packs small plays big."
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2991 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
If you're not already familiar with his work, I'd recommend checking out the performance style of Scott Green for a great example of kids magic that's fun but deliberately not slapstick silly. He wears a suit and throws in plenty of gags for the adults. He also has a couple of very good books on the topic, a multi-DVD release on his philosophy and effects, and other items at www.scottmakesmagic.com
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1175 Posts

Profile of danfreed
People will not look down at you for being a kids entertainer if you get good at it. They will admire your skill at entertaining kids and holding their attention, and may be jealous that you get to do it for a living. As an entertainer you are solving a problem for your clients - the need to entertain kids and keep them occupied for their event/party. You can entertain the adults at the same time, the degree to which you do that is up to you. And there is no reason to be cheesy. Being silly and being cheesy are 2 different things, and skillful silliness is very much admired, look at Steve Martin, Laurel & Hardy, or I could name a hundred others.
TomB
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of TomB
You might be surprised that you might fool a few of the adults. The key is to engage the kids. If they are having a good time, then you have succeeded. Also, you need crowd control skills.

If chewing gum annoys you, be prepared with a nice way to remove it ala the great tomsoni

https://youtu.be/MixsEEORh-Y

You will have to learn what routine works with different age kids. Create a base routine for 5 year olds. And a different routine for 10 year olds. Consider that your base routine. How long is your base routine 15 minutes, 30 minutes?

Now add a custom trick for an event/theme (birthday ect). Then, add in a grand finale for an additional cost (negotiated at point of sales). Maybe a levitation? balloon animals? Livestock?

Watch other magicians and see what works. I like the sucker magic (devils handerkerchief). What is your competition doing?

Also, what are you wearing? What your costume says will influence your perception. Clowns are more silly, someone in a tuxedo are more professional. Regardless, are you the peacock in the room? Do you stand out?

Kids are easily entertained. Facial expressions always worked on me. Don Knotts and Steve Martin have a special place in my heart. If you are a kid at heart, being silly should be easy. But you do not have to be silly. You could be caring. Fred Roger's entertained kids for decades. What is your personality? Do you have kids or nephews/nieces to practice with?

You can record yourself, and place it up on youtube and ask for constructive criticism from magic Café forum members. This would help polish you up before going live.
Russo
View Profile
Special user
768 Posts

Profile of Russo
They say never do several 'sucker' tricks - I've found and have done several in a row- just DON'T do them as 'HA HA I FOOLED YOU' do a few as if 'YOU' were fooled , and/or a story with the effect as the climax -'not FOOLED, you.
Russo
View Profile
Special user
768 Posts

Profile of Russo
For instance - kids-- "want to see my pet SPOT (1) (doing your own count )-" and his 3 sisters - 4 brothers - 6 cousins and 8 PUPPIES ??? For Family/adult - at the end I would say "if you see too many - don"t drive home" L-0-L
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1116 Posts

Profile of imgic
I do some busking and, ironically, not too long ago in the Sidewalk Shuffle room, there was a discussion on how other magicians look down upon buskers and street performers..that it’s not a prestigious line of work, nor worthy of the art of magic.

But it is what you make it. If doing birthday parties is what excites you, then do it. Learn how to be the best you at performing and go forth...don’t worry about others.

We’ve a party planner in our neighborhood that specializes in children’s parties. She found out I do magic.

She was interested in lining me up as a magician to expand her offerings. I flat out said no. I am not a children’s magician. I did one kids birthday party when younger and it was worst magical experience of my life. It’s not my style, it’s not what excites me when doing magic, nor something I want to learn.

I admire those who can entertain children...it’s not something I can do. Be you and you’ll be great.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3285 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I felt the same way you do when I first starting performing, Children are the best to start with, if you do make a mistake, no one cares, in the years Ive been performing, tricks have broke in the middle of the routine, when I first started, I forgot to set up the entire routine and in middle of the routine it just stopped because the prop was still sitting in the case somewhere.

The adults just laugh, the kids don’t know what’s going on, just pick up the next trick and continue, I’ve learned a lot from my mistakes and now every routine comes out perfect.

Buy large colorful tricks that are self working in the beginning so you can concentrate on your performance without having to remember a complicated trick. Interact with the kids and be kind, don’t tell them to shut up and watch when your performance

You can’t learn practicing in front of a mirror, you need to experience a real audience, so go buy some kids tricks that you think you can perform and book a free show. In a hospital, or community center to get practice.

I have an entire warehouse of tricks that looked good on YouTube, but when I got the trick, it wasn’t for me, so don’t use them in a show if you’re not comfortable.with the trick,that’s what Magic Auction and the Café’s trade and sell forum is for.

Good Luck

Buzz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I want to be a children's/family entertainer but I'm scared. (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL