The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The retention vanish PROBLEM (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mkhodadoust.24
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of mkhodadoust.24
Hi all

Ive been doing magic for 5 months now and thought of a retention vanish with minimal movement. I don't know if its original but I came up with it while practicing ukawa retention. I believe this retention solves problems like no movement in the hands, can be done on any beat. I hope you enjoy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5sfjILJfFK/

Please leave your thoughts and opinions
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Nice work! Smile

Doug
Ravenspur
View Profile
Regular user
Granby, MA
167 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
I don't know if this would be helpful to you, but Denis Behr created the Conjuring Archive to help with the questions like the one you're asking.

https://www.conjuringarchive.com/tree/32

Retention vanishes: https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/se......n+vanish
HofzinsersFan
View Profile
New user
Scotland
81 Posts

Profile of HofzinsersFan
I think you're really giving away the method just by not having practiced enough before showing it to anyone who cares to watch it on video. I can clearly see the coin slipping back and forth so I'm not sure what you expect non magicians might see if they watch it. But maybe it is only magicians that are watching your channel, who knows. If so then I retract my comment.
I can tell you that this type of retention vanish is a common one because I have seen it a lot. It will already have a name and have been published. Do your diligence Sir! The good ol' conjuring archive will help no doubt.
You should try to always use that site if you think you've been first with a certain move, or are just unclear as to who created something you already known of. It is an amazing resource!
Keep practising bud, some lovely vanishes in that video. Not all of them, but some are lovely Smile Smile
Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

.Smile What do you mean you don't read?

You need to read FITZKEE
- Dick Oslund, 2019.
stevie c
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of stevie c
I'd like to agree with the previous replies, which advise checking out the archive, and practising these moves until they're super slick, but most of all I wanted to say a massive well done ... and stick at it!! I only wish there had been something like MC around when I was your age!! We need to nurture the next crop of magicians 👍
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You are doing great for 5 months of magic. That is a nice act from you. But there are much more similar acts like that from others. I advise you expand the act. You have enough vanishes, transfers and reappearances. It is time to add more effects. Make more coins appear somewhere in your act. Make the coin change to a different coin somewhere in your act. Have a large 4" coin appear near the end. Having a full act will help you win you contest.

Be more smoother when penetrating the coin thru your head. Your head does not need to wobble from a coin.

Practice more on the timing of the appearance when the coin vanishes. Eyes are quicker than the hands. When you appear to vanish it, eyes are already watching your other hand. The late split second flick from the appearance slightly gives it away. Sometimes you did have perfect timing.

You do great with your eyes by following where the coin should be.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Lots of fun there. Good work!

That vanish, while effective, is not really something that will withstand repeated showings over and over. You will get busted on that soon enough. But it's fine for a one-time use in a routine.

I'm not quite sure I would call that a retention vanish--a retention vanish is short for a "retention of vision" vanish. That is, for a moment, the flash of silver is actually seen in the "receiving" hand, and the brain remembers that image. I don't think that's really what is going on with your vanish.

You're getting good--maybe for the holidays you can get a David Roth book like Expert Coin Magic which will teach you full routines and all the fine points about doing vanishes and productions. You're a quick learner!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The retention vanish PROBLEM (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL