The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » MENTAL DICE by Tony Anverdi (246 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..19..22..25..28..30~31~32 [Next]
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Agreed! Let's ask the moderators to move the entire thread downstairs. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2019, Robb wrote:
All dead on. So in summary: everyone says “it’s not about the prop but the presentation” but then the presentation is all about the prop!

... Admittedly this is not as much of a concern with magic or mental magic, but for mentalism, it can be deadly to your credibility and impact as a performer.

You hit the nail! Therefore we have to accept that many will not or do not want to understand my concerns and thoughts... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Christian de Punto
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
174 Posts

Profile of Christian de Punto
I handle it different. after a few "test-rolls" to see, that they get different results (just let them play around), the spectators roll the dice without anyone seeing the result. than I ask them, if they want to stay with the result or lift up the cup a few millimeters and kick the dice to one side for a last quarter rotation... trying to manipulate your luck is deep in the "human"
i put this into a story of betting games, talking about lotto, soccer bets (1-x-2), horse-racing, gambling and so on. dices are one of the oldest man-made-tools to generate such "lucky numbers". after the dices have fallen- "alea iacta est" - everybody in the audiance - including the magican, is filling out a "lottery bill" with different bets: color to number, total number, total score, which color is highest, 2 or more higher than 3...and so on...
at the end, guess who wins...

so no mind reading, but a lucky game... which gives total sense to the use of dices...

Quote:
On Dec 15, 2019, NeverMind wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2019, JanForster wrote:
They know of loaded and magnetic dice. Not true, false explanation, but also false explanations we have to exclude or to destroy in our construction of a routine. And it is easy: A dice which has been put consciously by a participant with a specific number on top ...
Jan

Great post, Jan. But I sort of disagree with the above portion. If a spec has to consciously put a specific number on top, then he can as well simply think of a number between 1-6 - why use a die at all? A die is there to be rolled - that's the purpose of its existence - and the built in 1 in 6 randomness. A die basically represents "chance" and not "choice", imo. And finally, if someone suspects that the roll is being read on a smart phone - that perception would not change whether the die is rolled or a number is consciously put on top.

Jan, I admire you and love your work. Hope to meet you sometime, somewhere...
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2019, Magic Dust wrote:
I am surprised that so many tips and hints are made publicly accessible here

Why are there more "protected rooms" that are not accessible to everyone ?

From my point of view, something is going seriously massive wrong here

Agreed, let's move downstairs.

I had mentioned and may I please quote:-

Quote:
On Dec 14, 2019, Ustaad wrote:

. . . . . Simply post the link here or better open a topic in the Banquet Room and post the Link & PW. Also at the Banquet Room, one can then discuss this new prop/routines/performance tips more freely.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2019, JanForster wrote:
Agreed! Let's ask the moderators to move the entire thread downstairs. Jan

I don't think the creators will want that Smile

Not best for sales.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2019, Magic Mark wrote:
Jan,

Thank you for your thoughts.

For those that have purchased Anverdi Mental Dice, a tip. I've put the receiver inside a playing card box. I cut a rectangular hole in the BOTTOM of the card box. The height of the hole is just slightly taller than the height of the displayed numbers. The width of the hole is just wide enough to show all the numbers plus allow access to the power button on the receiver. Since the hole's dimensions are a fair bit smaller than the receiver, the receiver is held in place securely.

I then shortened an entire deck of playing cards by the thickness of the receiver. After putting the receiver in place in the inside bottom of the card box, I wadded up a little bit of paper and stuffed it into the gap between the end of the receiver and the other side of the card box. Then I placed the shortened playing cards into the box to hold the receiver and wad of paper in place.

It worked beautifully. I can slip the playing card box down into my shirt breast pocket with the bottom facing up. It's super easy to glimpse the numbers. And, if I absolutely had to, I could remove the playing cards (hiding the receiver as I did so), flip open the top, and even partially remove the deck of cards from the box. But, it's highly unlikely I'd ever need to do that.

I'll post photos tomorrow. I've got a Holiday Party to get ready for, I plan to perform Mental Dice while I'm there.

Magic mark take some time and re read Jan’s post. He is one of the very few on the Café who are actually performing mentalism professionally for a real audience. You are over looking this Valuable information that can and will help you grow if you are serious about this art. More is not better... workers will tell you this all the time. It’s not about the ending but the process and growth of the relationship you establish with your audience. Show process. Allow your audience to be involved in this much needed process. Passions run deep with almost everyone on this Café. Try to align your passion with what matters. Not how cool and creative your hidden method for the visual receiver is. I’m not a full time worker. I’ve been passionately involved for years in mentalism and have learned a substantial amount from
Jan and others who rely on understanding what mentalism is and how to perform it is who you should be listening to. Forgive me for saying your routine you mentioned lacks the basic understanding on how to perform mentalism correctly. Zero process of what you are actually showing for your “skill” during the The second phase. If they don’t know then how the hell do you know... !! Logical minds go directly to your highlighted prop. On another note. A lot of workers are actually very worried about the state of easy access electronics. It’s not good. It’s going to stop progression from creators. Using electronics Without the respect and knowledge of basic mentalism is part of the major trivialization of mentalism. Cheaper and cheaper access to electronics will stop valuable tools to be in the right hands. The anverdi offerings is not going to be good .. one bit for the mentalism in whole. The idea that anverdi created the dice is laughable. What he created was a novelty. Who uses a 5 inch dice in the gaming world. It’s been said before. Craig F deserves more respect. I’ve watched some of the instructional video for the anverdi dice. One thing absolutely wrong was said. It was mentioned that never before has a rechargeable dice been available. Total **** and I think Murphy’s should fix this irrefutable comment.

Mark
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2019, Magic Mark wrote:
Jan,

Thank you for your thoughts.

For those that have purchased Anverdi Mental Dice, a tip. I've put the receiver inside a playing card box. I cut a rectangular hole in the BOTTOM of the card box. The height of the hole is just slightly taller than the height of the displayed numbers. The width of the hole is just wide enough to show all the numbers plus allow access to the power button on the receiver. Since the hole's dimensions are a fair bit smaller than the receiver, the receiver is held in place securely.

I then shortened an entire deck of playing cards by the thickness of the receiver. After putting the receiver in place in the inside bottom of the card box, I wadded up a little bit of paper and stuffed it into the gap between the end of the receiver and the other side of the card box. Then I placed the shortened playing cards into the box to hold the receiver and wad of paper in place.

It worked beautifully. I can slip the playing card box down into my shirt breast pocket with the bottom facing up. It's super easy to glimpse the numbers. And, if I absolutely had to, I could remove the playing cards (hiding the receiver as I did so), flip open the top, and even partially remove the deck of cards from the box. But, it's highly unlikely I'd ever need to do that.

I'll post photos tomorrow. I've got a Holiday Party to get ready for, I plan to perform Mental Dice while I'm there.

Magic mark take some time and re read Jan’s post. He is one of the very few on the Café who are actually performing mentalism professionally for a real audience. You are over looking this Valuable information that can and will help you grow if you are serious about this art. More is not better... workers will tell you this all the time. It’s not about the ending but the process and growth of the relationship you establish with your audience. Show process. Allow your audience to be involved in this much needed process. Passions run deep with almost everyone on this Café. Try to align your passion with what matters. Not how cool and creative your hidden method for the visual receiver is. I’m not a full time worker. I’ve been passionately involved for years in mentalism and have learned a substantial amount from
Jan and others who rely on understanding what mentalism is and how to perform it is who you should be listening to. Forgive me for saying your routine you mentioned lacks the basic understanding on how to perform mentalism correctly. Zero process of what you are actually showing for your “skill” during the The second phase. If they don’t know then how the hell do you know... !! Logical minds go directly to your highlighted prop. On another note. A lot of workers are actually very worried about the state of easy access electronics. It’s not good. It’s going to stop progression from creators. Using electronics Without the respect and knowledge of basic mentalism is part of the major trivialization of mentalism. Cheaper and cheaper access to electronics will stop valuable tools to be in the right hands. The anverdi offerings is not going to be good .. one bit for the mentalism in whole. The idea that anverdi created the dice is laughable. What he created was a novelty. Who uses a 5 inch dice in the gaming world. It’s been said before. Craig F deserves more respect. I’ve watched some of the instructional video for the anverdi dice. One thing absolutely wrong was said. It was mentioned that never before has a rechargeable dice been available. Total **** and I think Murphy’s should fix this irrefutably wrong comment.

Mark
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Jan put it far more eloquently than me but in essence I was trying to say that less is more . One die is better imo and it is just used as a bi product of achieving the effect and forgotten about at the end as the focus isn’t on it . Having lots of dice and doing lots with them just highlights the dice and not the performer or the real sense of mind reading .
Your mileage may vary but I think it’s very easy to fall into the trap as it’s so dam easy and techie great that you think you have to milk it for all it’s worth .
To me I would do the exact opposite Gaz 🙂
Christian de Punto
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
174 Posts

Profile of Christian de Punto
Why everybody wants to make it a mind-reading effect? I do not need dices for mindreading. I need them for lucky games. in such content the use of dices is normal and logical.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Each to their own but I find these products are better used as a tool to create miracles far better than just the focus on the die itself .
The method is almost better than effect with this and the method is now diminishing as time goes by with technology known to laymen anyway .
Use it as a tool and it will never come into play and therefore its use will remain pretty much indefinitely .
That’s just my thoughts anyway Gaz 🙂
Tony Venetico
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
238 Posts

Profile of Tony Venetico
I just ordered - this paired with Inject or TAP is going to kill!
Koveskali
View Profile
New user
Planet Earth
3 Posts

Profile of Koveskali
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2019, paw wrote:
Hey Guys –

Patrick from Murphy’s here.
Thanks for all your great comments! I wanted to address any confusion that may be out there pertaining to the Anverdi rights.

Murphy’s Magic has owned the rights for around a decade. No one had asked us for permission to produce any of Anverdi’s products. In return, we have never asked (or received) any compensation whatsoever from anyone making them.

Our mission was not only to put out the best product, but to give credit where credit is due. I was very surprised at how many people did not know Tony Anverdi had invented the following electronic products; MENTAL DICE, COLOR MATCH, SPIRIT BELL, TALKING SKULL, CARD BOX, KEY BOX, etc. The man was a genius and deserves all the credit...

We all hope you enjoy the new Mental Dice by Tony Anverdi!

P

But from what I know, Anverdi's die ( singular and in performance covered with a box ) was nothing like the" Anverdi's dice" that you at Murphy's have released, BUT it is very much ( too much, almost exactly the same much ) like Marc Antoine's Mental Dice - 3 colours/3 Dice/ Visual receiver... Which Murphy's magic used to stock until the creator pulled it.... No wonder you haven't asked any compensation from anyone making them, because it was a different concept really and a different product ... I think someone else should get compensation though...
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
432 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2019, Koveskali wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 12, 2019, paw wrote:
Hey Guys –

Patrick from Murphy’s here.
Thanks for all your great comments! I wanted to address any confusion that may be out there pertaining to the Anverdi rights.

Murphy’s Magic has owned the rights for around a decade. No one had asked us for permission to produce any of Anverdi’s products. In return, we have never asked (or received) any compensation whatsoever from anyone making them.

Our mission was not only to put out the best product, but to give credit where credit is due. I was very surprised at how many people did not know Tony Anverdi had invented the following electronic products; MENTAL DICE, COLOR MATCH, SPIRIT BELL, TALKING SKULL, CARD BOX, KEY BOX, etc. The man was a genius and deserves all the credit...

We all hope you enjoy the new Mental Dice by Tony Anverdi!

P

But from what I know, Anverdi's die ( singular and in performance covered with a box ) was nothing like the" Anverdi's dice" that you at Murphy's have released, BUT it is very much ( too much, almost exactly the same much ) like Marc Antoine's Mental Dice - 3 colours/3 Dice/ Visual receiver... Which Murphy's magic used to stock until the creator pulled it.... No wonder you haven't asked any compensation from anyone making them, because it was a different concept really and a different product ... I think someone else should get compensation though...

Are you for real?

If you own the rights to an electronic large die, you have the rights to make it as small as you want, provide as many as you want and take advantage of current technology.

Now guess what happens if you don’t own the rights to any die.

Actually you don’t have to guess, you can read the beginning pages of the Mental Dice by Marc Antoine thread here at Latest and Greatest.
Not only you will see people trying to burn Marc Antoine on that thread but is a very nice way to find “who is who” by comparing the two pages.

Here is what Ustaad wisely said on that thread:

Quote:
On Dec 16, 2017, Ustaad wrote:
I feel and humbly suggest that we stop addressing and proving the never ending rip-off theory. IMO, if Marc's dice is rip-off of Craig, then Craig's die is also a rip-off of Anverdi (and few others). Let's put an end to this and move on. Also it gives me an impression that this exclusive 'Mental Dice by Marc Antoine' thread is being used to forcefully advocate Craig's Die. This is not good. One may discuss at length the pros-n-cons of the two die's, but must restrain from any such forceful tactics.

Thank you.

Smile

MP
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Performed my Mental Dice routine for a group of 35 at a Holiday Party tonight and it received a stronger reaction than Sympathetic 10.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
doktorp
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of doktorp
Got my set of Mental Dice a few days ago. What a great and well thought out product. Everything works fine and the quality of the dice is outstanding. They roll like “normal” dice. This is so much value for the price. For 3 dice, the visual cue is the only possible way to go. I also own the RDR from Promysic. With one die, vibrations are okay. Especially at the higher numbers, I have to “listen” 2 or 3 times to get it for sure. Time will tell how durable the set will be. I hope, they will last a long, long time! As others have mentioned already, our job is to create deceptive routines that will take the heat of the prop and hide the secret in our performance. Have fun! Smile
Woodini
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Woodini
Got my Mental Dice three days ago. The video performance and explanation are somewhat wanting, but the dice are wonderful. For me, the dice will be an invisible (not thought of) part of other amazing routines. As always, the constant whining on the Café is depressing.
Adam Meier
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Adam Meier
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2019, Woodini wrote:
Got my Mental Dice three days ago. The video performance and explanation are somewhat wanting, but the dice are wonderful. For me, the dice will be an invisible (not thought of) part of other amazing routines. As always, the constant whining on the Café is depressing.

You are so right. Just make sure to make this a part of a bigger routine. If you can`t find a way to do it "undetectible" for the audience, just steer away from this.

We can choose to use a lot of energy and worries on exposure and competition, or we can be creative and always be ahead of others. IMHO I think if you are a true entertainer it does not matter what "prop" you use. It is the enjoyment in seeing a great and entertaining show that matter for the audience.
doktorp
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of doktorp
So true! You are (or at least you should be) the magic! Smile
John McLaughlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Gloucester, Massachusetts
393 Posts

Profile of John McLaughlin
I’m going through all 13 pages of comments and don’t know if this has been asked and answered, but has anyone found a source for replica dice to give away when the need presents itself?

Thanks
...NSA John McLaughlin, not CIA John McLaughlin
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2019, John McLaughlin wrote:
I’m going through all 13 pages of comments and don’t know if this has been asked and answered, but has anyone found a source for replica dice to give away when the need presents itself?

Thanks

Blue: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011WHL4Y
White: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CEFNP6
Red: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011WMADQ
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » MENTAL DICE by Tony Anverdi (246 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..19..22..25..28..30~31~32 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL