The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Card Studio » » MPC (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dclxvinyc
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of dclxvinyc
I just ordered a few custom decks from MPC (Make Playing Cards) and I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to get everything together.
I ordered a few different card stocks and finishes of the same deck design so I can see what I like before going whole hog and doing a full custom.

Has anyone here used MPC before? What's the general consensus? It seems as though they offer a ton of great options.
Alex Day
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of Alex Day
Bad yellow too stiff bad finish bad colouring. 3/10
dclxvinyc
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of dclxvinyc
Really? That sounds pretty bad! There are many different finishing and stock options, though. Is your comment in regards to one of the nicer ones?
keilunmagic
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of keilunmagic
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2019, Alex Day wrote:

I completely disagree. Their BETA finish is very good, even with M31 stock (only one allowed for less than 1000 decks) and even if stiffer than bikes, those who use EPCC cards or old Ohio bikes will recognise the feeling. It's a different stock, some might not like it but it's still good. Colors are slightly off compared to bikes due to the different printing process, but they are quite accurate if you provide CYMK files (either TIFF or PDF). The only problem is the website that looks from the year 2000, so if you want to make a good deck you have to work your way through it. I'd say it's excellent for prototypes and gaffs and if you are willing to make 55 PDF for each card and deal with a tedious email exchange to get them in (you cannot use the web editor with PDFs) you get a very good deck. While I mostly use Phoenix (printed on USPCC Q1), for some specific performances I have a MPC deck I've made and I am very happy with it (I need special gaffs in bridge size, hence the custom deck).
dclxvinyc
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of dclxvinyc
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2020, keilunmagic wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2019, Alex Day wrote:

I completely disagree. Their BETA finish is very good, even with M31 stock (only one allowed for less than 1000 decks) and even if stiffer than bikes, those who use EPCC cards or old Ohio bikes will recognise the feeling. It's a different stock, some might not like it but it's still good. Colors are slightly off compared to bikes due to the different printing process, but they are quite accurate if you provide CYMK files (either TIFF or PDF). The only problem is the website that looks from the year 2000, so if you want to make a good deck you have to work your way through it. I'd say it's excellent for prototypes and gaffs and if you are willing to make 55 PDF for each card and deal with a tedious email exchange to get them in (you cannot use the web editor with PDFs) you get a very good deck. While I mostly use Phoenix (printed on USPCC Q1), for some specific performances I have a MPC deck I've made and I am very happy with it (I need special gaffs in bridge size, hence the custom deck).

Thanks for the response here. I went through with the decks and got them made. I'm very happy with the product and made a separate post reviewing the process and final cards.

Do you have to use PDF to get the faces done properly? It so, why wouldn't using a normal image upload work the same way?

Best,
-a
keilunmagic
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of keilunmagic
Let me explain: when you use the web interface you provide an image (JPEG, PNG or TIFF), at a certain DPI and resolution. That is fine but the rasterization leads to some artifacts even with lossless TIFF. A PDF keeps all vector layers intact so the printing might be much better. Obviously, the original design must be a vector, otherwise you get no benefit at all from the PDF process. I keep all my gaff designs in vector (I did trace almost every design I’ve gaffed over the years), so I often go for the PDF route, sometimes I’m I a hurry and fall back to 400 DPI TIFF images, which is perfectly fine for most people.
Alex Day
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of Alex Day
I just think you need to rethink buying a hundred. it's quantity over quality. I think marketing on decks is very deceptive and no one is making tuns of money off them except for MPC. It just turns into "dead stock" after you buy it. I've even talked to friends that have a successful business selling cards and they can't get over the dead stock in storage.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Any negative reviews are mainly because people are comparing MPC produced decks with USPCC produced decks. While MakePlayingCards decks are not as good quality as USPCC, they are still embossed cards with a linen finish, and they are much better than many places like ArtsCow that do very cheap custom decks. Their cards will clump quicker than a USPCC deck, but they're still quite decent. Many designers use them for making prototype decks, especially because they allow smaller orders. I've written more detailed thoughts about them in my article here:

Playing Card Manufacturer: Make Playing Cards (MPC)

If you prefer a US based printer rather than an Asian one like MPC, look into Shuffled Ink which has similar quality and service as MPC and is in Florida.

I detailed my experience in printing a custom deck with them in an article reviewing their company here:

Playing Card Manufacturer: Shuffled Ink
Alex Day
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of Alex Day
Well the blue is really dull. Incapable of royal blue.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Card Studio » » MPC (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL