The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Best Table for Coin Work (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
I'm looking to purchase a good magician's table for my coin work. I need something large enough to perform assembly and matrix routines. Ideally, I’d have a working surface of at least 2 feet by 2 feet and at 36-38 inches high. It also must have a servante (shelf or bag), and it would be great if it had a shelf to stage my props while keeping them out of view.

Any suggestions, coin guys?

I’ve tried posting variations of this post in other areas of the site with little luck. Any help is greatly appreciated.
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Some folks use a bridge table, and put the servante on their closeup pad. There are options. Nice to start simple and cheap. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Many street performers find that using a Waiter/Busboy stand works well. This is the X folding frame you see in resturants which holds trays of dishes that have been cleared from tables.

Add to this a top of your own making and you have a portable working surface which is perfect for stand up magic. It's cheap and you get EXACTLY what you want because you customize it to your ow neeeds.

You can builld in PK gaffs and slits for loading jumbo coins and etc.

Worth thinking about...

Here's a link to the type of stand I'm talking about:
http://www.restaurantequipment.com/TRAYSTANDS.html
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Frank Starsini has some good comments on how he made his table top in a similar thread in "The Sidewalk Shuffle"

It's rather easy to build in coin holdouts along the bottom edge with a couple thin strips of wood, poster board, whatever you can find. I like the finished look of a framed table top, and some have suggested framing only three sides as it allows you to slide coins (or cards) easier off the back edge.

I found the "tall" waiter's stand to work better as it's 38" high instead of the standard 31". Mine is dark mahogany, and looks very nice. The top is just over waist high, and any bag I wish to use as a servante can be strung across the top braces and is in perfect position.

No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
Theres a strange question....

Normally magicians say.. whats the best coins for table work?

You ask... "Whats the best table for coin work?" .... ha!
Ignore my quirky comment!
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
Dave, where did you get your "tall" waiter's stand? Thanks Frank
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It was at my local "RESCO" Restaurant supply store. They don't have a website or I would have posted it. I have seen a few online suppliers that also carry the tall stand.

Try this It's pretty much exactly like the one I bought.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
Dave, thanks I just ordered the 38 inch stand. You saved my back.
I wanted to post a picture of my table but it keeps saying the jpeg file is to big. But when I go into photoshop and make it smaller the image get tiny.
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Thanks, guys!

Dave - I see the stand in Frankm6's link, but what do you use as a top and how do you keep the top stable enough to do assembly routines without the tray or top sliding around?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I made my own top by buying a sheet of 3/8 plywood and covering it with "pellon" padding and fabric. Later I went back to the hardware store and bought a strip of corner molding and used that to "frame" the table.

Frank Starsinic found a nice Drafting Board at his local art store. I haven't seen one yet, but I believe it's lighter as it has thin birch laminated over a honeycomb core with a nice finished edge. It didn't cost much over the price of the raw plywood either. (Actually, it cost about twice the price, but I got enough wood for two table tops for the price of his one. Trouble is, you have to buy the entire 2x4 sheet whether you use it all or not. I cut mine into two 18x24 tops with some left over to build a shelf if I were so inclined) I chose 18x24 as I figured I could find a nice picture frame and save some work, but as it turned out I only had to pay a dollar or two for the molding, I already had a miter saw and some left over stain, so I figured "why not?"

The table stand comes with rubber rings that help to grip the table and keep it from slipping. It wouldn't take much to attach some sort of "Z" bracket on the bottom to lock it in place, but in Frank's case he uses both sides so that wouldn't work. Really though, the rubber "bumpers" are plenty stable.
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
I just purchased a nice one from Magic Max, here: http://magicmax.com/item.php3?sid=187277......nav=cart .

I'll let you know how it is.
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
Dave,
What is pellon?
I first used batting but that wasn't right. I then used 1/8 inch foam.
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
Thomas,
I had seen the ad for the table that you ordered some time ago and forgot where I saw it. I'll be interested in your review of it.

Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I’m resurrecting and old post because I think I came up with a really great coin magic table.

I bought a $24 stand from Sam Ash which is a big music store near me, this stand is online at www.samash.com.

It has a quick squeeze trigger release that makes it easy to adjust. The height adjusts between 27” and 39” and has a 150 lbs. capacity.

I went to Home Depot and found some type of 3/4" composite plywood that was about $7 and had them cut it to 18" x 27".

I bought a 90" round black tablecloth at Linens n’ Things for about $20.

I put the table top on the keyboard stand and draped it with my black tablecloth. Then I used two rare earth magnets to pull in the rear of the table cloth and hold it up against the underside of the stand (the stand is metal). This encapsulates the wood top and helps keep it in place. Since the table is now draped and tucked in, I have a staging area to put props out of view - and with magnets, you can actually hang some items from the stand itself under the table.

Now here is where I splurged and why the 18" x 27" wood cut: I bought a Jumbo Ultimate Pad ($135) from Dean Dill along with his servante ($15).

When I put the pad on the draped table, it fits the top exactly and looks quite elegant. Since Dean's pad is solid and has some weight to it, the servante hangs from between the draped table top and the pad. It looks and works great.

This link is a picture of my table.

Dan
Click to visit:
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Very Cool. Thanks for sharing!
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
Nice table!
Pants99
View Profile
Loyal user
El Paso, TX
230 Posts

Profile of Pants99
Dan s the man with the plan!!!! Nice table!!!
Buckle up... it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Darren Romeo uses a Losander Floating table to do Matrix in him stage shows... then he goes into the floating table... a very nice sequence.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Thomas
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Bill Thomas
Nice work Dan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Best Table for Coin Work (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL