We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Randy Burtis has passed away (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7408 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Calgary magician Randy Burtis passed away overnight after a year-long battle with cancer. He was 50 years old.

Randy and I went to Prairie Bible College together back in the early 1990s. That is where we first met and became friends. We both had a passion about Jesus and the Bible, and performing Magic Shows. I attended his wedding to Cara in Edmonton, and later on he attended my wedding to Catherine (as my best man) here in Victoria. When I went through the break-up with my first wife, Shannon, he was a listening ear for me, and helped me make some wise decisions. We've had many long phone conversations over the years, about our faith and our hobbies. I will miss him a lot, but I know that he was born again and is going home. This is not the end of his life, per se, because he has eternal life in Heaven. But my heart really grieves for Cara and their 2 daughters, who are left behind.

- Donald

P.S. Randy was a member of the Magic Café (randyburtis & later on as randysburtis). Also a big fan of comic books, and even helped to co-moderate a forum on the topic.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
OMG this is terrible news. I didn't know Randy was ill. I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. Way too young to go, but God must have other plans for him. RIP Randy.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Tim Snyder
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
86 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
I didn't recognize Randy's name, but I am a big fan of Donald's, if for no other reason than he introduced me to Barry Mitchell. So I wanted to find out more about Randy. Clicking Randy's user name, I recognized his picture and remembered reading a few of his posts. Still this didn't tell me much about a man that I didn't really know. So I clicked on his facebook link in his signature and watched one of his videos. This video told me everything that I needed to know about Randy.

Skip ahead to the 7 minute mark on this video. https://www.facebook.com/calgarymagician......8694518/

I am blown away by how naturally he comforts the crying 3 year old. He takes an awkward show stopping distraction and turns it into a positive part of the show. My favorite part is when the little boy says, "my sisters foot was squeaking!" The kids will remember this "routine" as much or more than the planned routines in the show. You can really see Randy's compassion displayed here. I have great respect for magicians who have quiet control of a room. It isn't always about getting the kids to scream. I plan on trying his squeaker technique, if the occasion calls for it. Thank you, Randy, for leaving this record of your skills.

May your family find comfort, Tim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Randy Burtis has passed away (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.45 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL