The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Darkest routines ever... (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of topherhester
So I was talking with my brother who is not a magician but he said “I know you perform some dark material sometimes but what’s the darkest routine you perform or have ever seen?”

That got me to thinking..

Because I do paid shows open to the public, I usually keep things on the edge of dark but I never perform things that I think would be truly unsettling or that are so heavy there is no release or entertainment factor to it.

So now I’m curious. What’s the darkest routines you perform or have seen in person? I mean dark as emotionally dark, emotionally disturbing, thematically dark, etc.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Darkest ever or darkest I regularly perform?

I've done a psychic surgery routine based around Sin Eating. Some have called that dark. I also currently have a routine based around the idea of voodoo dolls, which I don't think is dark personally, but some might.

I think the 'darkest' was probably a routine I did for a Satanist's Devil's Night ritual, though. I am not going to go into specifics but it involved three volunteers and some needles.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of topherhester
I think the darkest I have done for a public show was a variation of Eugene burgers Retribution. I changed quite a few things and didn’t use tarot cards. Instead I used a voodoo doll. I didn’t really play it tongue in cheek like Eugene did so it was heavier than my other routines. And ending with the razor really drives people over the edge. Not in a good way lol. Have to be careful too as some people are cutters in real life or have lost people to suicide so I made sure it was the right audience.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
True. It's always important to know the audience. For me ritual performance was explicitly described as being dark, involving blood, etc. No worries about offending anyone.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
balzar
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of balzar
Probably more in the geek vein (so to speak), I did Pen and Tellers cut and restored live snake. It is a great effect, but one loses about a quarter of the audience as soon as you introduce the snake, and another third when you sever it and the blood hits the ceiling.
The restoration plays well for the fraction of the audience remaining.
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
I love this thread! My favorite is Cuss Cards
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
The darkest routine I’ve ever seen was at a Blackstone and Family show. For tie finally they used a logging saw to cut a girl about half way through her abdomen and left her there on the table with her intestines hanging out for the audience to walk past and view close up. The illusion was presented in ceremonial style and the fact that they just left her body out there for viewing was so Bizarre - I will never forget it.
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
The show was in the 80s and I was in my early teens...
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of topherhester
That sounds awesome!
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Relic may be the darkest I ever performed.
But my wn Krampus version isn't light either.
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1374 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
Hmm My Death Card routine where the selected audience member has died in their sleep and must win back their chance at life, Fallen Angels By Paul prater (about a fire at an orphanage) Inferno about a Circus fire
;) 99% of all my material is Dark

and we do have cookies
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions & Co Producer of Bizarre hauntings
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
docdazzal
View Profile
Veteran user
San Tan Valley, AZ
360 Posts

Profile of docdazzal
Hi All...

Although I don't perform this at all my presentations...I have a routine where I use DarkSpell in conjunction with Cuss Cards. I also use DarkSpell with my Sin Eater Presentation in conjunction with the Seven Sins.

Looks on the Faces is Priceless...
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Magical Mentalism & Revealing Readings With Dr. Dan
www.drdanandco.com
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
320 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2019, Lo Pan wrote:
The darkest routine I’ve ever seen was at a Blackstone and Family show. For tie finally they used a logging saw to cut a girl about half way through her abdomen and left her there on the table with her intestines hanging out for the audience to walk past and view close up. The illusion was presented in ceremonial style and the fact that they just left her body out there for viewing was so Bizarre - I will never forget it.

When this topic came up the first thing that came to my mind was Ricciardi's sawing. Same kind of thing, a lot of blood and innards hanging out, very graphic. If my memory is correct on this, he also used his own daughter as the victim which made it extra creepy and disturbing!
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Well, there’s this. https://youtu.be/OOLpMzNvyg4
docdazzal
View Profile
Veteran user
San Tan Valley, AZ
360 Posts

Profile of docdazzal
Hey Todd...

Very Cool Indeed...

Continued Success,
Dan
Dr. Dan
Magical Mentalism & Revealing Readings With Dr. Dan
www.drdanandco.com
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of topherhester
Todd, I greatly wanted to see Play Dead in its entirety. Considering the brilliant minds behind it, it had to be amazing. How’s everything going at the Mckittrick? Saw Cagigal was dropping in for Speakeasy this week.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1039 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Demon summoning involving some sort of living sacrifice is always dark.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Nick Birch
View Profile
Regular user
Holmfirth, UK
160 Posts

Profile of Nick Birch
Depression era children selling their souls by paying the creepy clown to play ‘The Kn0wing G@me’. Doesn’t get much darker or unsettling than that.
www.darkartefacts.com

Purveyors of the finest handcrafted, bizarre artefacts and illusions. The Uninvited, Death Row Diner, The Koshkin Effect, Whiteface, Satan's Circus
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2019, Nick Birch wrote:
Depression era children selling their souls by paying the creepy clown to play ‘The Kn0wing G@me’. Doesn’t get much darker or unsettling than that.

If played right, Witch Hazel can be pretty dark. Also ASH if you add a possessed doll like the drawing. Almost got the police called on me for that one.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Todd, I was so glad I was able to see Play Dead when I was in NY years ago. Watching you eat glass goes up there with dark and disturbing. I hope you have since changed your diet to softer foods.
Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Darkest routines ever... (24 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL