The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » A Magical TEDx Talk (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ebusojar
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ebusojar
Hi Everyone!

I recently got asked to give a TEDx Talk from the perspective of a magician, and after a fair amount of drafting, re-writing, and rehearsal, it turned into a talk about how we (magicians and non-magicians) confront the impossible, and how our assumptions shape our realities. In case anyone would like to take a look, the link is here: https://youtu.be/Ew9YH7jufeo

This was an awesome (if somewhat nerve-wracking) experience - even for a full-time performer - but I learned a ton about my own process throughout the entirety of it. Since these talks are usually geared towards the general public, a lot of what I'm saying and doing may seem quite straightforward to you as magicians, but I'd be curious to hear what people thought! What I'm talking about in the video is only meant as an exploration of my own process, and I don't want to speak for anyone else, so I'd love to hear if other members of the community are on the same page, if anything resonates with you as a performer, or if you have different approaches than I do.

There's only a little magic in the video: one of my favorite pieces of all time is at the end, which I know you'll all recognize as Eugene Burger's work (which I credited during the talk and got Larry Hass' permission to use as the representative of Eugene's estate). There are a couple of other magical moments sprinkled throughout, so hopefully there's a little something for everyone!

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy!
Evan
Evan Northrup
www.evannorthrup.com
ChrisPayne
View Profile
Regular user
UK
164 Posts

Profile of ChrisPayne
Congratulations on a really well delivered piece, I can only begin to imagine the amount of thought and work that went into it. At first I anticipated the link between magic and rejecting the impossible was going to be a bit "hokey" but because the link you made was to your own challenge of solving problems then I think it worked well.

Well done
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Thought I had commented on this already. Great presentation. Well delivered.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
ebusojar
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ebusojar
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2019, ChrisPayne wrote:
Congratulations on a really well delivered piece, I can only begin to imagine the amount of thought and work that went into it. At first I anticipated the link between magic and rejecting the impossible was going to be a bit "hokey" but because the link you made was to your own challenge of solving problems then I think it worked well.

Well done

Thanks so much, Chris! It did indeed take a lot of time, and I tried my best to avoid an overly simplified and hokey "You can do anything" message. Thank you so much for giving it a watch, and I appreciate the feedback!
Evan
Evan Northrup
www.evannorthrup.com
ebusojar
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ebusojar
Quote:
On Dec 29, 2019, critter wrote:
Thought I had commented on this already. Great presentation. Well delivered.

Thanks, critter! I appreciate you taking the time to watch through it and for the kind words!

Evan
Evan Northrup
www.evannorthrup.com
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1358 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
You're really strong on stage. Great presentation, genuinely kept me engaged. Loved the opening (very funny) and taking it full circle to close out the talk and in the way it was delivered was perfect. The remote/balloon piece was well thought out. The magic itself very strong but the only critique I would have is that for a touch of time during the restoration I almost felt like I was at a sermon. I'm Irish so maybe it's a cultural thing.... The kids face in the crowd when you restored the thread was very cool to see. Genuinely very impressive Evan. Huge congrats for me personaily I thought it was excellent.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » A Magical TEDx Talk (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL