The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Roller Coaster by Hanson Chien (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
MarvinSanRemo
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Barbara, CA
317 Posts

Profile of MarvinSanRemo
How about you go to do the penetration with the glass on the table, then comment that you don't want to chip/break the glass against the table, and "search" for something to put under it to protect the glass...I think this looks great, and while there might be some small presentational shortcomings, I feel they can all be easily overcome. I think this is a great idea, and I feel like there are more regular everyday items you could potentially build the gimmick into that would allow this to play in different locations.
Maxy
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Maxy
Quote:
On Dec 24, 2019, wsgumby wrote:
This seems weird to me. If you're doing this on a coaster it seems pretty obvious the coaster is gimmicked. I mean, why the heck wouldn't you just do it on the table?

Do the first phase on the table with your PK ring, followed by the second phase with the coaster to complete the isolation.
I will buy this if they sell matching ungimmicked coasters to plant them in my home tables, I don't want the gimmicked coaster to look different than my other coasters.
My artificial intelligence designs:
https://instagram.com/9picks
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
Magician's take liberties when performing magic that spectators MIGHT deem suspicious...using a close-up mat for Shadow Coins(the mat is gimmicked somehow), using a deck of cards which belongs to the magician (Obviously... it MUST be a trick deck), having a spectator think of any word in a book...again, an item the entertainer has on his/her person. Other props come to mind ranging from sponge balls to linking rings...and of course, a coaster that a glass is placed upon.

The question is this...why are magicians performing these effects when so many find issues with the inorganic qualities needed in the presentation? Everything from suspicious props to props that just don't exist in everyday life are subjected to criticism. Please...if you wish to perform for the public, give some of these effects a chance. Once it's realized that an entertaining magician can do wonders to curtail audience assumptions regarding, "How it's Done" you'll be pleasantly surprised at the reactions these effects can get!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
The performer that doesn’t think like a performer ie too thick, why a coaster, never seen this type of coaster etc will have the most fun with this.

I’m getting the Heineken one. I see these types of coasters all over bars in my area.
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
Why not photocopy the gimmicked coaster and then glue the photocopies to some other coasters that you can have laying around.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2020, music wrote:
Why not photocopy the gimmicked coaster and then glue the photocopies to some other coasters that you can have laying around.

Huh?
jay1209
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of jay1209
So I decided to order this one as I really like the effect and think it looks a great bit of visual magic.

I find it really interesting how people can't think of ways to get this into play, the coaster is to thick, why use a coaster etc etc

My routine will be as follows:

Write a prediction on the back of the coaster, example 7 of diamonds.

Explain that I have a prediction on this coaster that I have been carrying around for months as it has never worked but you are feeling lucky and as we are friends if it doesn't work it doesn't matter

Place the coaster down on the table and leave a drink on it so it cannot be switched, changed etc

have a deck of cards freely shuffled and checked by the spectator

Force the 7 of diamonds using your favourite method

Explain that the cards were freely shuffled, any card could have been selected and the prediction has been in full view from the start

Now you can mind read to get the chosen card or simply get the spectator to reveal the chosen card

Hold up the coaster with the card and show the prediction matches as you explain how you have waited 6 months for this moment to happen so thank you very much!!

Now explain you are feeling lucky and you want to up the anti a bit more

borrow a coin

have a glass placed on the coaster and explain nothing can get in the glass through the bottom of the table or through the glass

Perform roller coaster

at the end have the coin signed and go into nest of wallets by Nick Einhorn as a final finish to the routine, if you feel its necessary as the coin is being signed after roller coaster, casually put the coaster in your pocket and leave it there or switch it out for the un gimmicked one.

A good solid 5-10 minute routine for a table

Final thoughts that make this routine strong:

A good variety of magic, a card trick, a reveal and a prediction. An impossible coin penetration using a borrowed coin and glass, a signed coin to multiple wallets. As the coin is signed at the end, the spectators will think the coin was originally signed before roller coaster was performed and say something like 'I signed a coin then it went through a solid glass on the table, then it vanished again and ended up in three wallets and wrapped up in a small cloth, oh yeah and he read my mind when I shuffled a deck of cards, picked a random card and yet the prediction that was on the table matched exactly'

Hope this helps!
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Great routine , sounds like Jason Rea type of thinking excellent stuff Gaz 🙂
TheMagicOfDean
View Profile
Regular user
What!? I Only Have
105 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfDean
I can definitely see myself using this in a bar setting. I think it is justifiable by telling you audience how the table top is to slippery for the glass then just bring the gimmick in from a stack of other regular coasters. Probably the best version of this plot in the market at this point. The older ones look too gimmicky and screams like a magic prop. Have them stashed in my cupboard and never performed it once but I can see myself using this. Gonna order one up!
snmagic
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Fl.
16 Posts

Profile of snmagic
Can someone answer me this. I found that coaster does not lay flat on the table. It has a rocking kind of motion. Does anyone else have that issue ?
snushy
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of snushy
This is a re-work of Dingle’s Double Deception for those of us old enough to remember.
YOU KNOW WHY YOU DON'T SEE? BECAUSE YOU DON'T WATCH! - SLYDINI
Christian de Punto
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
174 Posts

Profile of Christian de Punto
I took heineken one too. and I took from ebay a collection of different old heineken coasters. some are thinner, some thicker, all look different. don't know yet exactly about a routine, but I think its a good start... ;-)
stay creative!

Quote:
On Jan 1, 2020, John C wrote:
The performer that doesn’t think like a performer ie too thick, why a coaster, never seen this type of coaster etc will have the most fun with this.

I’m getting the Heineken one. I see these types of coasters all over bars in my area.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2020, snmagic wrote:
Can someone answer me this. I found that coaster does not lay flat on the table. It has a rocking kind of motion. Does anyone else have that issue ?

I’ll wait for V2.0 in that case.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Wow - this is truly exceptional eye-candy!
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2020, snmagic wrote:

Anyone else having this issue?
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Yes, they are all like that it's explained in the video at 6:53 - is that what you're asking about?
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2020, DavidKenney wrote:
Yes, they are all like that it's explained in the video at 6:53 - is that what you're asking about?

Funny how it’s not mentioned in the advertising. Smile
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1484 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2020, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2020, DavidKenney wrote:

Funny how it’s not mentioned in the advertising. Smile

Good lad lol
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
@pegasus because it's not a defect, it's part of the effect. Rarely in advertising do they explain why or how the gimmick works = the discrepancy is never seen by anyone except you and once the trick is over , it vanishes. Plus you receive a second non gimmick coaster for spectator examination anyway, so this is really a non issue.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
What about Mental Dice David ? They show the full workings in the ad of that .
I could name you 10 other effects straight off the bat that do exactly the same in their advertising Gaz 🙂
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Roller Coaster by Hanson Chien (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL