The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks - Vol. 2 - Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RCarruth
View Profile
Loyal user
Spartanburg, S.C.
222 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks.. vol. 2

This BigBlindMedia product is the second volume in a line of DVD's featuring self-working card tricks. The Ad Copy reads as follows:

"The nine stunning routines on offer prove that it's not HOW the trick is done - it's 100% about WHAT your audience perceives. None of these tricks require sleight of hand, but they are absolutely, mind fryingly awesome. Some of the methods are so devious that you'll fool yourself when you perform them.

From John Bannon's self working, instantly resetting packet trick 'Poker Pairadox' to Ryan Schlutz's three phase masterpiece 'Sense-sational' to Peter Duffie's ingenious 'Four Most' - these are tricks that you will perform again and again and again.

So grab a deck and join your hosts James Went (from the smash hit BBC show 'Help, My Supply Teacher Is Magic'), Liam Montier, Iain Moran, Ryan Schlutz and Owen Packard, and prepare to learn some of the greatest card tricks ever invented."

Tracklisting
1. Mind Mirror (Jack McMillan)
2. Convergence (Cameron Francis)
3. Stock Exchange (John Guasterferro)
4. Sense-sational (Ryan Schultz)
5. Poker Pairadox (John Bannon)
6. Four Most (Peter Duffie)
7. Password Fallacy (Jim Steinmeyer)
8. Amara Rises Again (Ryan Matney)
9. Blind Choice (Roy Walton)

My Thoughts:

As everyone knows, I have a propensity for self-working card tricks.. or at least card tricks that are, as Steve Beam would say.. semi-automatic card tricks. I think there is a whole segment of magicians who are not true card workers.. but specialize in other forms of magic. Regardless, they do not want to be totally left behind when it comes to card magic. They want to be able to give the public the impression they are very adept with a deck of cards.

Of late, self-working card trick dvd's are hot. Big Blind Media leads the field when it comes to producing dvd's for the magician who doesn't want to spend weeks learning one card trick. This one, featuring James Went, Liam Montier, Iain Moran, Ryan Schlutz and Owen Packard continues their series of self-working instructional dvd's with entertainment, skill, great production values, and a selection of female spectators exponentially more attractive than their male counterparts..

You'll find something for everyone. Look at the names of the effect creators and you'll get a good idea of the value of each effect. These creators are among the Best of the Best, and their self-working effects are something they are willing to attach their names to.. The performers/teachers are also among the Best of the BigBlindMedia stable.

Without revealing too much.. here is a brief description of each of the effects on this DVD:

Mind Morror.. Jack McMillian from Expert Card Technique .. A card is picked at random. After two riffle shuffles or two smush shuffles, the magician is able to read the mind of the spectator and reveal their card...

Convergence.. A Cameron Francis effect.. Nice trick involving two decks and a random selection. This is a ACAAN type effect that uses s Stebbens stack in a simple manner to reveal a card and a number.

Stock Exchange... a John Guastaferro effect.. two spectators mix two packets of cards, and ultimately colors match, numbers match, and predictions are correct. Spectators perform all the shuffling and are truly surprised at their own dexterity. One of my personal favorites.

Sense-sational...a Ryan Schultz effect... Three spectators select cards and the performer finds all three. Lots of simple shuffling by the spectators keeps everything busy and everyone properly fooled.

Poker Pairadox.. John Bannon.. Several pairs of mis-matched cards are shown. It's referenced that they would not be ideal for a hand of Texas Hold'em. After the spectator selects just one of the cards, they are shown to now ALL be matching pairs... ideal for Texas Hold'em.. Very easy to perform.

Four Most.. Peter Duffie... Three spectators each place a wager on a random pack of cards as they are dealt by the magi. After everything is gathered, the magic makes a bet also. When the top card of each packet is revealed.. there is a strange coincidence. Nice Gemini Twins type effect.

Password Fallacy.. Jim Steinmayer.. Remove nine cards at random from a deck. Remember the bottom card. Think of a password. Spell your password dealing one card for each letter, and move them to the bottom. After a secret phrase is spelled, and the password spelled, the spectator's card is revealed. Perfect for multiple spectators or for performing over the phone or radio.. My personal favorite..

Amara Rises Again.. Ryan Matney... After a number of cards are dealt randomly by a spectator, they are divided in to three piles. A fair series of shuffling each pack reveals one step toward discovering the identity of a hidden card. After all three piles are gently manipulated, the selected card is found in the previously empty card box.

Blind Choice... Roy Walton... A 'Coincidence thingy' with several spectators and a pack of cards. The cards are mixes and handed out in packets to each spectator. The cards are mixed again and a number discarded. Each spectator keeps a certain number of cards based on a formula and after the magi selects a few cards, the coincidence occurs.. with a homage to Out of This World.

As always, the lighting, production values, and sound are first class. The dvd run time is typical. As there is not a time on the dvd or the site I can't give you a specific time. The skill level is listed as 'intermediate'.. but it is definitely a beginner level dvd. There are NO real sleights involved in the effects.. nothing more than shifting a few cards or stacks here and there. This volume is probably the most simple-to-perform of all the BBM videos I've reviewed.

If you are in the market for self-working card tricks, I recommend this and all the BigBlindMedia products...

$30.00 Available through Murphy's Magic and dealers who carry their line..
https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=51245
Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
319 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
Hello...I'm a subscriber to your roadshow, I also wanted to say hi in this forum as well..As well respected Joshua Jay told me a few years back, we as magicians can do a flawless looking pass or double lift (or any sleight really, the spectators don't care) but if we produce the wrong card, all those sleights mean nothing...Josh Jay, also told me there is nothing wrong with gaffs to achieve an effect or even self working tricks...they are way more suited to me as a performer because I can spend more time on my corny NY humor.
jaykelly7
View Profile
New user
UK
8 Posts

Profile of jaykelly7
These dvd's are great, I have Vol 1-3 and will be picking up the newly released Vol 4 soon. My favourite on this project I think is Peter Duffie's four most. I really like the presentation in Amara rises again and John Bannon's poker Pairadox is an easy one to carry as a separate packet trick and probably plays well for children using a theme of playing snap. If you've not got any of these DVD's on your shelf, go and get them because there are some real gems on these Smile
RCarruth
View Profile
Loyal user
Spartanburg, S.C.
222 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
I definitely agree with both of your observations! Thanks for the replies..
Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks - Vol. 2 - Review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL