The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » BIKIN' by Ben Harris -- The Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
I just received Ben Harris' Bikin' two days ago. I am starting my exams next Wednesday, but I tried my best to post a review as quickly as possible. So here it is.

First let me say that I may be a little biased, because I am a sucker for these kind of effects where pips are manipulated, figures on court cards animate etc... This effect falls into this category.

Let's start with the packaging. The booklet is the package itself, and as with all of Mr.Harris's package designs, this one is very attractive. The instructions are easy to understand and the illustrations are very clear.

You are also supplied with three specially printed Jokers on bicycle stock. These are very cool and open the doors to many possibilities for various effects.

Mr Harris explains in detail a whole routine which uses all three cards and a normal Joker, which you can get from your normal bicycle deck. In this routine, the Joker moves to the edge of the card, where half of his body vanishes into a fourth dimension. Then he continues his journey to the back of the card, leaving just the empty ground on the face of the card. Being a smart Joker, he then returns back home the shortest way, right through the card. First he gets halfway through and then continues the journey to the face, ending up with a completely normal and examinable Joker. It's important to note that at any time during the routine, the strange looking card with the Joker traveling around it, can be totally examined by the audience. There is nothing to find. This routine even includes a phase where the Joker penetrates in the spectators hands. And we all know how strong such effects are.

Next, a short follow up effect is described, in which the Joker card completely vanishes from the deck and appears in an impossible location.

Just like with Mr. Harris Quarks and Quirks, this effect is intended to get your creative juices flowing and not to just have another single trick, and that's it. In fact, once you take a look at these cards, your mind immediately starts spinning with ideas to use them with. Mine did. In fact, the next effects presented in the booklet are just vaguely described and are more intended to get you creative, although an average magician can immediately understand how to accomplish them.

The sleight of hand needed is nothing out of this world, although they deserve practice. An average magician can master this in a few hours. A beginner may need some more work. But, as I already said, easier handlings for other effects are possible.

So all in all, I like it a lot, and I would rate it as follows:

Difficulty - 4/10
Effect - 9/10
Practicality - 6/10

Hope this review is of help. Ivan
Yours,

Ivan
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Thanks for the review Ivan, I take it this is readily available in red or blue?
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Great review Niva!! You are getting better and better at this!

What I was wondering is this: Does the joker "come to life" and animate in the manner of card toon, or cardian angel? This is the first thing I thought about when I first saw the advert.

Daff
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Luke Dancy
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1162 Posts

Profile of Luke Dancy
Ben sent me 'Bikin' to play around with and I must say it's a clever lil routine. The packaging is outstanding just like the rest of Ben's effects and the instructions are super easy to understand with cards in hand. The Joker doesn't 'come to life' like card toon but doing the sequences up to speed you really get the impression that the Joker is jumping around or riding around on the card. I'm not sure if you can get the gaffs in blue backs as Ben sent me a red set so he'd be the one to ask. He includes a few other ideas to play with and to help you get your creative juices flowing with the cards. Overall I like this effect and I'd say if you're looking for something offbeat to do that isn't a 'pick a card' trick then this is for you. Nice job Ben.

Your friend in magic,
Luke Dancy
http://www.lukedancy.com
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Mine were also red backed. I think this way, the Joker on the back stands out much beter. He makes a tiny reference to this.

BTW. This is a gret follow up to Ton Onosaka's Bicycle Built for Five, although this one is blue backed, at least mine.
Yours,

Ivan
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Great post guy's, this one sure sounds like a lot of fun and that is a great idea Ivan.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi guys,

I'm so happy to see you exploring the creative paths offered by BIKIN.

I've now uploaded a video demo.

http://www.wowbound.com/images/bikin3.avi

The video shows several of the hundreds of possible effects. The more you know about card magic, the more original magic you will be able to create with these very special gaffs.

And yes, the US Playing Card Co did a wonderful job with our artwork. I do thanks them for permission to so flagrantly goof around with their trade-marked Joker graphic.

Oh, and it is ONLY available in red backed for visibility considerations.

Cheers

Ben Harris
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Niva, are you the one that looks like the "Amazing Randi", James Randi with the white beard, or the other one? Just curious Smile

Nice review, by the way. Ben Harris is a talented and very friendly person.

Jeff

Ben, I never thanked you for your personal help on "Exit 51".

I'm sure you are a busy man, but you took the time out to help me with ideas.

I plan on purchasing "Bikin'", because I know how you stand behind your great work. There are, sadly, too many who do not.

Thanks again,

Jeff
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
Niva, that's a great review!
Interesting effect! Sure would love to see a demo of it.
Gerard
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Gerard, scroll up 3 posts, Ben left a link to a demo of it.

niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
I am actually the one next to the person looking like Eugene Burger.
Yours,

Ivan
DonBrandfas
View Profile
New user
Nevada
15 Posts

Profile of DonBrandfas
I've been playing with Bikin' for a little over a week and just can't seem to put it down. As with all of Ben Harris' items, Bikin is very well packaged, excellant photos and super instructions. Bikin can be a full deck trick or a packet effect... it's kind of up to you. The special Joker cards are very well printed. One of my pet peeves is getting 'SPECIAL' cards only to discover that the back color is so far off from the original that they are useless. One of my pet peeves is the back color of many 'special' Bicycle cards is so far off from the original color it renders the cards useless. These 'special' Joker cards match perfectly. Thanks Ben. The basic effect of Bikin is the Joker travels around and thru the card. I'm sure most card guys will take this effect beyond the basic premise. This is one you wil have fun with. Highly recommended! $15.00 at most magic dealers.

P.S. I just forwarded the trick to Terry LaGerould, so I'll post his comments later.
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
Thank you, kihei kid! I'm downloading it now!
Gerard
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Watched the demo Ben and it looks great.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I can't wait to see what creative ideas you and others develop using these cards.

Don, we went to a lot of trouble to ensure a perfect match of the back colors. I did all the artwork inhouse and the US Playing Card Co did a superb job ensuring color accuracy.

Cheers

Ben
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Major Kudos Ben. You make me look good.

shoexboy
View Profile
New user
Taiwan
89 Posts

Profile of shoexboy
That is cool
I love this effect
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Thanks guys!

Ben

My friend, Doug Cuff, has advised that the Bycicle Joker in a Canadian deck is a little different to the standard version.

Seems it has a little star and circle in the index corners as opposed to the standard US$ symbol.

Does this mean you can't go Bikin in the Canadian wilderness?

No, it just means you relace your Joker with the Bikin set and declare the Joker a "Tourist!"

Cheers

Ben Harris
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
dgcuff
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
191 Posts

Profile of dgcuff
As I mentioned to Mr Harris privately, I have used American jokers in other packet tricks, and never been called on it, so the difference isn't worth fretting over. No one will notice unless you call attention to it.

Having said that, I have to say that his idea for a presentation is so solid--maybe you should call attention to it? Smile
I formerly ran a site of links to help Canadian magicians, magicinfo.ca, but I retired it in 2022.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hey Doug,

If you DO call attention to it, you can always "magically change" the tourist into a Canadian later in the routine.

Cheers mate

Ben
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » BIKIN' by Ben Harris -- The Review (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL